We went on our first hack...

_jetset_

Visit site
Well, we were supposed to be doing a 15 minute hack around the block with only 2 minutes of road work... my friend who was being our 'nanny' was running a bit late so Grace and I set off to meet her (on the road
smile.gif
)

We have a motorway bridge we have to go over to do the better rides, and I have been panicking about it since first getting Grace. Anyway, we met my friend just in front of it, and I thought, "Sod it, let's give it a go!"

Grace was a bit unsure but she listened and I was so proud of the way she behaved. We then went on to do an hour hack with a lot of road work and she was absolutely brilliant! I am so pleased, she was better than i could ever have imagined!

I don't think she has seen much traffic because she is a bit jumpy on the yard when cars go past etc, but when I was on board and making her concentrate she did not bother at all. A car with a rattling trailer went past and the other horse spooked. Grace went to spook but I asked her to walk on and create a contact through the bridle and she just did as she was told!

Sorry, self indulgent but I am absolutely thrilled!

_jetset_

Visit site
Thanks everyone... I can't stop grinning!

I honestly expected a bigger reaction to traffic than we had. She had a bigger reaction to the sheep (not sure she has ever seen sheep before) and she was looking at them as if to say, "Why the hell are there clouds on the floor?!"

filly190

Visit site
Well done. Just as a point, and I could be wrong, but I remember reading somewhere that you need to dismount and lead the horse over the motorway bridge. I think this may be a highways act for safety reasons, but I am not sure. It might be worth having a little look into, just to check out your legal position in case of an accident.

I have come across one of the bridges and openly admit I was far too chicken to cross it. Well done you.

_jetset_

Visit site
I have been over the bridge a lot on my other horse and never got off to lead, but that is quite interesting. I will have a look into it...

It is used a lot by horse riders, and none of those dismount and walk over that I have seen. Where would I be able to find this information out?

Clodagh

Visit site
Tis a well known fact that sheep eat horses. Luckily Grace was on the ball, as you obviously hadn't realised!
tongue.gif

My horse is convinced that one day I will believe her about the troll that lives under the bridge down the road. (Not a motorway bridge, just a diddy one).
Congratulations on a great ride!
smile.gif

_jetset_

Visit site
I can't find anything about not being able to ride over a motorway bridge... had a look through highway code and can't see anything.

Does anyone have any ideas???