Weaning. Will this work?

lennysmith

Visit site
Ok the time has come, well in 2 weeks, for Denver to be weaned. He is massive, and it's just not practical to keep them together any more. Josie is really fed up of him, and now is even resfusing to feed him. They graze down opposite ends of a 2 acre field, so have not doubts they are ready, With him also measuring 13.1 the stable is getting a little snug in there to say the least!!!! With the nights getting chillier I thought it would be an ideal time to start, rather than wait til it's freezing.

The plan is...... Denver stays on the yard with his little mate Jack. They have been out together, for months now and D adores him
grin.gif
so I dont have any worries there. D and J will be in adjoining stables in the main barn where there is lots going on and the doors are nice and high too, but he can see over. (incase of emergency jumps). Josie will be led down to the bottom field (about 5/6 mins walk) to live with her friend who used to be stabled opposite for a few weeks.

Now will this work do you think? Am I doing it right? I have thought about sending him away but cant really find anywhere that is suitable that I could get to easily. How long do you think Josie will have to be out? Some people say a week some say a month. As you all know I dont have a clue.

If anoyne has any better suggestions please do let me know. I have got this far with my unexpected surprise, and I actually think I've done quite well
grin.gif
I'd just really like to get this done with as little stress and heartache for them. But, it needs to be done
frown.gif
thankies xxxx

Gingernags

Visit site
Out of earshot is the general rule. We used to take Byter out riding and leave Ivy in the stable on her own, started off at 5 mins then built it up, then one day we just moved Byter to a different yard - one she'd been at before so she was fine. Ivy stayed in a day, then went out with "Auntie Asti" as she'd been in the field with her for months. Never had a problem at all.

Took longer than we thought for Byter to dry up though, we thought a month but took more like 8 weeks in the end. I guess its different mare to mare.

The earshot thing is important as you don't want them calling to each other then jumping out / going through fences, to get back together.

You are doing really well so far for an accidental "mum" of a stowaway!

lennysmith

Visit site
Hehe thanks. Yep it's out of earshot as there are thick trees separating the fields too. So there's no way he'll hear os see her or vice versa. Just dont wanna screw it up ya know? My friend who is sharing D with me has got the week off work and the kids have started school/nursery so at least I'll know we'll be on hand for any eventuallities. Ah my poor boy.

Prudence

Visit site
Agree with CT, it's the out of earshot thing that's important - so how far away will she be? It is often a good idea to feed epsom salts to mares at weaning, it helps to dry up their milk supply - don't ask me how! It may have even been disproven by now, but everywhere I have ever worked, has done this! I know she is a good doer, so she's only ever really fed HiFi Lite, which would be fine. What is the grazing like in this field that you have in mind? Be careful, in case it is too rich! Check her bag twice a day, initially it may need stripping out, then just easing a bit out of her. Though I must say it sounds like she won't be much of a problem in that area, as she's already started weaning him herself eh.

lennysmith

Visit site
The grazing is gradually going so hopefully wont be too rich. It's nowhere near what it was like 2 months ago. She actually lost quite a bit of weight, so I know it's not as rich. Yes forgoit to ask about epsome salts, YO said about it on Sat morning when we were devising our action plan.

I dont think she'll be too much of a problem. She's used to being ridden while he goes for a walk and as I say he is NOT aloud on her patch of grass. She will start to twitc if he's take out of the stable on his own tho, but she's like thsat when her friends go otu, so I knwo she's going to be better out on grass rather than stabled.

Thanks for the reply x

Gingernags

Visit site
Ah yes, forgot about that! We weaned ours in December so Byter was in, she was on restricted hay and water and had epsom salts in the water.

We totally left her to dry up herself though, wouldn't advise touching it at all (her bag that is). If it looks like its getting hot and swollen then get the vet to check for mastitis, but otherwise leave it and it'll dry on its own.

You should be fine.

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Well you're doing it the opposite was to what we do which is leave the foal with the rest and remove the mares.. if however you are sure the foal can't jump over his door (I have seen one scramble over 4'6") and the mare is out of earshot it will work.
You need at least three weeks to possibly five apart or they will just revert to drinking.
I think however your foal sounds pretty laid back about being inside on his own, but can't you find somewhere he can stay out with his friend? We did try one year just parting a few of ours and they howled pitifully at each other wherever they could see each other in the distance, so a bit mean on Mum anfd baby that method.
Now we remove the mares at least five fields apart then return them a month later.
good luck..

lennysmith

Visit site
Thanks. No management are getting stroppy and wont let me keep Denver out. There isn't enough room to be honest anyway. Aslo his little mate cant have 24/7 turnout, (lammi), so I'm praying this will work. At least if he's on the yard I can keep an eye on him and he def cant hear him Mummy. He has a paddock to play in once everything has calmed down a bit. Oh I do hope it goes ok!!

lizlew

Visit site
Hi,
I would just like to know what age is your foal?
Just wondering as I have a 4 month old and the mare is starting to lose condition, is it too soon?

lennysmith

Visit site
He is 6 months now. He has never been a poor foal either. I always said I'd just wait and see, I'm lucky thougha s Josie is a VERY good dooer and has fed him on hi fi lite and vits/mins alone. I know JM7 weaned one of hers at 4 months this year, maybe have a chat with her?

What are you feeding your mare? How is the foalie looking?

lizlew

Visit site
Hi,
Thanx for your reply.
The Mare is not mine I just own baby. The mare is being fed baileys stud balancer and so is the foal. Foal seems quite independant and is doing well. Main concern is mum.

amage

Visit site
it sounds like you've thought everything through. you've done a fantastic job with you're surprise-i know you've had difficult days but you've handled it all so well fair play to you!!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
Can't beat the advice you have already had, it's first class (as always!) only thing I would add is leave a leather headcollar on him for the first day or two, even in the box - my stock saying - just in case!!

Make sure they do not come within earshot or eyesight for at least six weeks and even then still be very careful although Josie will probably pretend to boot him into next week if he dares get personal with her, but then again, she might go all maternal and come into milk again just to confuse you; they are never predictable at this time! Also, the poorer grazing and less feed she has the better for drying up; you can always increase things after she has been totally dry with a slack udder for a couple of weeks but better she is on a tight diet with as much walking about at this time as possible. I find the exercise of walking constantly to find grass will help considerably with her drying off and touch wood, I have never had to touch the udder other than checking it which is also how my vet prefers it, to leave nature to itself. Obviously, if she needs help then take some milk off her but it sounds like she's already started weaning herself so she should be fine.

I'd also keep exercise very low key, mainly walking, after all, she needs to regain fitness internally not just leg-wise so it's not advisable to think she can go straight into hard schooling sessions; treat her as you would bringing up a hunter into work, that way she should strengthen gradually without strain to her limbs or system.
Also, as long as D can see out, I would want a grill over his door for the first 24 hours - just in case! No good being sorry after he's climbed out and hurt himself in an unguarded moment when a little attention to detail could have avoided it. If you haven't a grill you could use an old hessian sack fixed to the door frame but knowing him, he'd probably eat it!

You've done so well with your package deal so far, hope this is as untraumatic as it ever can be (and I can't think of one person that actually 'enjoys' weaning time except perhaps some of the mares who genuinely have had enough and breathe a sigh of relief to be rid of their little baggages as it is as stressful to the owners too!)

lennysmith

Visit site
Thanks as always Pat. I think I've speid a grill around the yard, I shall see if I can beg/borrow/steal!

I do hope it isn't too traumatic. I'm a big softie anyway, esp when it comes to my babies. At least I know my friend has the first week off work so I'll have her to cry on when he looks all sad!!

lennysmith

Visit site
Thankyou! Some bits I must admit, I thought just sell him at weaning. But I cant and i know as soon as he left me I'd be devestated. I love him so much. Just hope I still feel the same when he's a horrid brat being away from his Mummy xx