weaning

valentine

Visit site
Hi is anyone weaning there foal i have a dilema as at our yard we only have the one how am i going to do it any suggestions ? i want to leave it as long as possible i have heard you can leave them as long as you like ???
confused.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Well have you thought about letting the mare wean the foal itself? If you aren't intending to ride her could be the ideal situation for you.

Chambon

www.picturetrail.com
Is she in foal again? If she is in foal again, you really need to get this foal off her and give her a rest before she is due again.

If she is not in foal again, there is no particular hurry and you can adopt the gradual method.... make sure the foal is eating creep feed and introduce a seperation period so that the foal can eat in peace (adjoining stables is good), keep increasing the seperation period until they are no longer together.

Word of warning though, keep an eye on the mare's milk as when the final seperation does occur she will still have lots of milk there and it will take longer to dry up. Be vigilant about checking for mastitis.