weaning

pumpkin86

New User
Visit site
Hi all, new to the forum and not sure if i've posted in the right area but any advice would be much appreciated
smile.gif

We've bred our first foal this year and shes about to be weaned, what sort of period of time do you think is best before she gets reintroduced to her mother as we're plannin on keepin lil un and mum.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
We've just weaned (well two weeks ago this weekend). Mum was brought back in to work yesterday. We are planning at least six weeks apart before they too will be back together.

Tia

Visit site
I've always naturally weaned. Works perfectly for me, but then my mares are always riding out before the foal is a couple of months old so foaly is used to Mummy going away and then coming back again.

Natural weaning does happen a little later than if we were to intervene, generally happens about the 8th month. By 6 months I generally have the foal spending the night in a stable on it's own but immediately next door to Mummy but they are still turned out together through the day. The mothers milk eventually starts to dry up and foaly generally stops suckling so much until one day it happens no longer. Mum is usually kicking the foal off by 8 months and I feel it is better for both Mother and Baby that she is the one to enforce this rather than me.