Weanling temperament

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
Has anyone found the nervousness of an unhandled weanling when first commencing official foal handling work is a good indicator of their future spookiness as adult?

Asha

Visit site
I had one foal that was ‘suspicious’ . Really awkward to do anything with . ( I bought the mare in foal ) I sold her as a 2yo back to the stud I’d bought her mum from . Bumped into her again at a show when she was about 5 . The rider confirmed she was still awkward/ feisty etc .
However some can be nervous if theyve just not been handled . Have you bought as a weanling or did you breed her/him ?

JBM

Visit site
I would say unrelated
Most are nervous of people when they’ve been previously unhandled
If it continues they may be more prone to spooking but I wouldn’t worry yet

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
In general, the temperament on the ground doesn't necessarily reflect behaviour under saddle. Basic handling and later training will have the greatest input to how the horse views life.

Quigleyandme

Visit site
I’ve only had two weanlings so far but one was very nervous of me and I couldn’t get my hands on him. Food was my friend in that instance. He couldn’t resist the food which allowed me to catch hold of his slip lead and gently fuss and talk to him. Within two or three weeks the wariness had gone but I put in the handling time every day. He is on loan to my son and loving his trail hunting in Devon. The other was a cocky sort that seemed to know he was an exceptionally attractive horse. I sent him to sales livery where he remained for three and a half months mostly breaking my heart with his intransigence but with sympathetic riding he came very good indeed and found a super home with a competent amateur in Holland who adores him.

AdorableAlice

Visit site
For anyone on here long enough to remember my part bred Shire called Ted, who was the most incredibly nervous and tricky foal and remained that way for a very long time. Always kind and never violent but he really struggled with human contact. I know very little about his dam, but there is a thought she was somewhat feral. It always puzzled me why he would not bat an eyelid at a tractor with a big bale on the spike when it delivered his hay in the barn. The other two foals living with him cleared off at speed, I then found out the brood mares with their foals at foot were fed off the back of a tractor. To this day he has never looked at a tractor.

The journey with him was long and painstaking. He was 6 when he started to have a different outlook on life with suspicion turning to curiosity, confidence started to show itself. He is 12 now and still treated with thought to ensure none of his confidence is challenged. He is sedated for anything that would frighten him for instance, I would rather he did not remember having his teeth done as he has always been head shy and years of work has been done to get him to allow his ears to be handled and the headpiece passed over his ears rather than undoing the cheek piece.

He has turned into a rock solid safe ride, but gets anxious if too much pressure is put on him and hasn't been asked to go beyond prelim. I would say his anxiety as a foal has carried forward into later life and in the wrong hands may have resulted in a troubled life for him, but I promised him he would never leave me and today he is a huge, handsome, very willing and much loved cart horse. He has taught me a huge amount and I wouldn't want another like him, I am a firm believer in the mare putting her temperament into a foal. Is she is calm, well handled and trusting, her foal will be easy. A nervous mare will produce you a nervous foal.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
@TheMule and I keep out yearlings together and it’s fascinating to see their personalities as lived together pretty much all their lives apart from 2 months at the beginning. The mares were very different - TM was a more stressed type about motherhood and very protective of her child while mine was a good mother but very relaxed with her child. My mare was also the boss and leader. My yearling is very brave and chilled. A natural leader and TM filly is definitely more of a follower and more naturally suspicious. We also have a mule thrown into the herd mix but they love him and he is very much part of it all. I love seeing them develop and you can see already how they will be under saddle. Mine does have a very strong no though!

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I have heard so many times "oh he's so laid back - or feisty/nervous - you'll have such an easy/difficult time breaking him in" from owners, only to find the horse in question is the exact opposite when it comes to training. SOMETIMES they reflect their baby temperament of course, but actually not that often.

Pink Gorilla

Visit site
Thanks everyone, this is really helpful! I read a study they did on youngsters at 3 months, 18 months and 3.5yrs and it indicated fearful/suspicious 3 month old foals would carry on to be suspicious/fearful at 3.5yrs and bold 3 month old foals would carry on to be bold at 3.5yrs. They were a group of warmbloods all raised together in the exact same way. But I wanted to hear people's personal experiences too.

ihatework

Visit site
Of mine that have been done over recent years -

One was a VERY suspicious/anxious youngster out of quite a straightforward (if a bit ginger!) mare. He has remained a suspicious/anxious type under saddle but is actually exceptionally kind and genuine, just emotional and reactive. Despite this he was pretty easy to back although I did choose who did it very carefully and adopted a slightly less traditional approach.

One was the most laid back easy youngster. Her dam seemed sweet but I don’t know that much. She was very easy to back and ride on at 3yo. She has been a complete and utter naughty minx at 4. Far too cocky and self assured for my liking!!!

The other came to me as a yearling an utter witch. Boardering on dangerous. She was out of a very talented, high energy very competitive mare who needed competent handling. This one is sensitive but ultimately highly trainable and motivated. Turned quickly into an utter darling (after a few IHW words ….). Took 2 weeks to sit on as she was genuinely unsure but after that was a doddle, one of the nicest/easiest the breakers had.

Moral of the story - they are all different!