'Weapon dogs' are seized by police

hellspells

Visit site
^^^ yep what Kerilli said.

The sick <insert word as you feel appropriate> that breed these animals need locking up themselves. I've seen fighting dogs and so much of it has to do with the handling from a young young age, its disgusting

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
^^^ yep what Kerilli said.

The sick <insert word as you feel appropriate> that breed these animals need locking up themselves. I've seen fighting dogs and so much of it has to do with the handling from a young young age, its disgusting

[/ QUOTE ]
Agree completly!
Whatever the breed,it's always the muppets(because I cant use the word I am thinking) who own and breed them that cause the problems.
I doubt the adults will be able to be family pets,although it might be possable since we dont know how bad their life has been,but am very glad those poor pups wont be suffering a life of fighting AND that the poor dogs wont end up attacking someone because thats what they have been taught to do.
I owuld also think if the police have the power to seize the dogs they have the power to charge the owners.

Charmaine18

Visit site
I hope they aren't all put to sleep - I saw a very similar situation to this on an animal programme on TV and all of them, including 5-week-old puppies, were euthanised because they're a "dangerous breed" and couldn't be rehomed.

frown.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
They probably will be though, if they are breeds included in the DDA and as others have said, at least they won't be forced into a life of misery.
A lot of the dogs seized, like it or not, could never be properly rehabilitated. Teaching these dogs not to want to kill would be like teaching me not to want to eat.

In an ideal world someone could buy a lot of land and open a compound type place where these animals could live out their days and have some sort of rehabilitation with the professional help they needed, without the risk of ever escaping or being stolen back by ner-do-wells (this has happened from kennels here
frown.gif
) but that is unlikely and would be illegal as long as the DDA is in place.

It is too much to risk the lives of other dogs and even humans.

MooMoo

Visit site
I watched a documentary about "weapon" dogs. The things they make them do to each other is just awful.

But I'm glad the police are taking action, there are so many chavs in town that I've seen with these dogs.

I've seen one guy encouraging a pup to snap at his fingers. Sad thing is it wont be that moron that gets hurt by it. It will be an innocent passer by.
frown.gif

suzysparkle

Visit site
Crikey that's awfull. Poor dogs. I don't doubt they lived a terrorised life. I suspect they will be pts - when you think how many unwanted dogs there are out there already. I hope the people responsible are punished properly for this.

Over2You

Visit site
Before I started watching The Dog Whisperer, I would have been all for putting the dogs down, but not now. Cesar Millan has shown the world it is possible to rehabilitate these "dangerous" dogs and turn them into well balanced animals. I also watched another programme (Dogtown I think) where the featured organization both rescued, and rehabilitated over twenty fighting Pit Bulls, and successfully re-homed every single one of them. It's not the dogs that need putting down, it's their heartless owners. And all those "professionals" who'd rather see the animals dead than give them a chance.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
Yes but in this country these 'types' of dogs are classed as illegal and if 'proven' to be illegal they will be destroyed.
I am still sceptical as to whether a dog like this can be fully rehabilitated, Dog Whisperer or not.
I agree with above posters that some of the dogs would probably be better off dead than face the life they were living or languishing in kennels while the experts battle it out over what they are.

CAYLA

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Before I started watching The Dog Whisperer, I would have been all for putting the dogs down, but not now. Cesar Millan has shown the world it is possible to rehabilitate these "dangerous" dogs and turn them into well balanced animals. I also watched another programme (Dogtown I think) where the featured organization both rescued, and rehabilitated over twenty fighting Pit Bulls, and successfully re-homed every single one of them. It's not the dogs that need putting down, it's their heartless owners. And all those "professionals" who'd rather see the animals dead than give them a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that a little harsh, I don't think anyone wants to see an animal destroyed, it's rather sole destroying, there are people in the word more capable of keeping a dog under control and there there are those who cannot, and once these dogs have been "rehabilitated" as such there is no guarantee a new owner can keep this dog under control, there are not endless amounts of responsible homes even to take on the easiest of rescue with no problems let alone dogs with behavioural issues, please be realistic.
Where would they be housed and where would all these rehabilitaters come from, we are already bursting at the seams with rescues in this country, the vast majority have no issues it's jsut dick head owners.

Im glad a stance has been taken the dog always comes out worse, but thats because the law is a f!cking sham and there is no punishment for the true criminals, it's easier to take the dog out of the equation.
As sad as it is for the dog and for the vet that has to do it, I believe this is whats best , I would rather they go peacefully than the way they have been intended to go.
It fills me with dread that fighting is going on as we speak and dogs being faught to the death.

kerilli

Visit site
i think these breeds class as 'ban dogs' which it is illegal to breed or own in this country, in which case i hope the sickos will be prosecuted.
i 'knew' someone online who had a mastiff x pit bull (ban dog) which he'd specifically sought out as a guard dog. it wasn't naturally aggressive (which he said it should have been) so he had it pts because he said it would suddenly turn one day. i never could get my head around that...
frown.gif
poor dog.
i swear to god, you should have to have a licence to own or breed ANY type of dog in this country. all dogs should be registered, it needs to all be controlled and monitored for the dogs' sakes.
frown.gif
frown.gif

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i swear to god, you should have to have a licence to own or breed ANY type of dog in this country. all dogs should be registered, it needs to all be controlled and monitored for the dogs' sakes.
frown.gif
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

AMEN!

Scratchline

Visit site
Has to be a good thing,even if some of these dogs are PTS they wont be hurting anyone because of their owners stupidity.

Has to be a good thing?! That is as disgusting as most of the posts on this thread.

Have these dogs done anything wrong?

I find the comments on this thread extemely offensive. These dogs, not accused of any crime will all be destroyed if deemed to look a certain way. Not because they are aggressive and not because they are a danger to anybody FFS.
They will be destroyed because of a sick and useless law brought about after two attacks by dogs. The attacks on Frank Tempest and Rhukshana Khann.

In those cases the dogs were NEVER IDENTIFIED, never caught and the owners never prosecuted.

All comments on this thread come from the same ignorant, sensationalist attitudes as those who brought about this cruel law. The RED TOP press and you should all be ashamed of yourselves!

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but, like i was asked yesterday. how can they be sure these are illegal dogs???

hmmm............................

[/ QUOTE ]

They cannot. They will be destoyed because of the way they look.

And if they are ILLEGAL dogs, it is ONLY because you cannot register a dog that grows up to look like a pit bull!

The only people that can have the register opened are judges in DD cases. Advice from the kennel club and RSPCA is to sit tight until a policeman actually accuses you of having a banned breed?????

Anybody who supports this law is completely mad IMHO

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
i think these breeds class as 'ban dogs' which it is illegal to breed or own in this country, in which case i hope the sickos will be prosecuted.[ QUOTE ]

Oh please god no. Are you serious??? Because the government at the time brought in this stupid law then couldnt enforce it the wording was changed to 'type'. Therefore any breed or any cross can lead to a conviction of an innocent dog/owner.

So YOU stereotype with 'sicko'?!

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Yes but in this country these 'types' of dogs are classed as illegal and if 'proven' to be illegal they will be destroyed.
I am still sceptical as to whether a dog like this can be fully rehabilitated, Dog Whisperer or not.
I agree with above posters that some of the dogs would probably be better off dead than face the life they were living or languishing in kennels while the experts battle it out over what they are.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fighting dogs were never people agressive so no need to be sceptical. They do not need rehabilitating to be none human aggressive
blush.gif
)

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
but, like i was asked yesterday. how can they be sure these are illegal dogs???

hmmm............................

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly, we're all running around in circles because of this stupid law....

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Fighting dogs were never people agressive so no need to be sceptical. They do not need rehabilitating to be none human aggressive
blush.gif
)

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that most dog-aggressive dogs are not people aggressive. But they do need to be rehabbed and worked with if kept alive (which I don't think they will)

I have a dog-aggressive dog, which I am working with, he is not as bad as he used to be but it has been a lot of hard work and he is no way capable of inflicting the kind of damage that a bull-breed could. (In terms of poundage exerted and he has a weak bite)

They do not have to target people to be a danger to the public, a dog-fixated dog will get through anyone and anything to get to its target.

This incident sparked a 'pit-bull' amnesty in NI
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/6127688.stm

I still agree with Kerilli and think that all dog ownership should be licensed.

Edited to tidy it up a bit
blush.gif

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
The younger dogs will mightly not get pts if they are non human agressive (the pups will 99% probably not)
they will be neutered and prob retrained etc, however the older more developed fighting dog might will get PTS understandably as (unfortuantly due to these moronic people thikning it is acceptable) they will prob have been taught from day one to be aggressive to pretty much any on and anything! as you cannot be sure if they were used to fighting or intimidating people!
a real shame

genie

Visit site
Its surprising how many pit bull and pit bull types there are in the Uk when breeding them was banned here in the 1980s.

Shame for the poor dogs but only a matter of a very short time before these sick owners have new dogs.

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
The younger dogs will mightly not get pts if they are non human agressive (the pups will 99% probably not)
they will be neutered and prob retrained etc, however the older more developed fighting dog might will get PTS understandably as (unfortuantly due to these moronic people thikning it is acceptable) they will prob have been taught from day one to be aggressive to pretty much any on and anything! as you cannot be sure if they were used to fighting or intimidating people!
a real shame

[/ QUOTE ]

They will all be killed unless the owners are able to prove they are not aggressive and are prepared to carry out the requirements of registration but at the end of the day it comes down to the judge.

Fortunately the last big round-up in Liverpool led to the judge stating all the dogs were well behaved and their owners decent people. Once stereotyping is removed by the courts they are just another breed of well loved, well behaved pet in the correct hands.

Legalise ALL breeds and bring in correct, proper, SENSIBLE laws for all dogs and owners.

Scratchline

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Its surprising how many pit bull and pit bull types there are in the Uk when breeding them was banned here in the 1980s.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thankfully, those who loved this breed refused to allow it to be made exstinct because of the failings of humans. Not the dogs themselves. There are of course many hundreds avaliable via the internet. Legalisation and control is the answer, not the DDA which is useless.

Scratchline

Visit site
p.s You hit the nail on the head.

19 years later, the DDA isnt working and dog attacks by other breeds have doubled. Rottweilers still kill and pit bulls numbers bigger than ever.

But no one cares sadly.

Onyxia

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Has to be a good thing,even if some of these dogs are PTS they wont be hurting anyone because of their owners stupidity.

Has to be a good thing?! That is as disgusting as most of the posts on this thread.

Have these dogs done anything wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]
I dont know,and neither do you.
The article gives no information other then the dogs are/were owned by suspected gang members.
Ever seen the way gangs treat dogs?And I mean first hand,not on the TV.
I have,I grew up in North London and some of my best childhood friends became people anyone would consider scum.....trust me,breeding for any reason other then cash diddnt enter their heads.A bitch pumped out pups untill she couldnt anymore and was dumped or used as a "training dog" because she was so weak.
T would starve a younger dog,then let it into a room with an old weak bitch eating.Guess what happened
crazy.gif
and T was one of the better ones......

[ QUOTE ]
I find the comments on this thread extemely offensive. These dogs, not accused of any crime will all be destroyed if deemed to look a certain way. Not because they are aggressive and not because they are a danger to anybody FFS.
They will be destroyed because of a sick and useless law brought about after two attacks by dogs. The attacks on Frank Tempest and Rhukshana Khann.

In those cases the dogs were NEVER IDENTIFIED, never caught and the owners never prosecuted.

[/ QUOTE ]
Wrong.
They will be destroyed because the people that bought and breed them want something agressive,something that looks and acts "well ard",something that can back them up when the [****] hits the fan and because the police and populatoin dont want to hear of another gang member or drug dealers dog killing or maiming a child.

The sad truth is,being PTS is far better then the life they have had.
Some of them would be able to be retrained,some wont.
Some will only have been in dog fights,some will have been taught to hurt people.
How exactly do you think you intimidate someone with a dog if you dont teach it to attack people?

[ QUOTE ]
All comments on this thread come from the same ignorant, sensationalist attitudes as those who brought about this cruel law. The RED TOP press and you should all be ashamed of yourselves!

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm not.
But it is also an "ignorant, sensationalist attitude" to assume everything who thinks the dogs being PTS is the lesser evil dont understand dogs,gang culture or the problems the combination makes.