Wearing a Hat on the road

LoxleyEquestrian

Visit site
Does anyone know if its a legal requirement to wear a riding hat whilst hacking out on the road? I always wear a hat, but recently rode out with someone who doesn't wear a hat whatever. Someone shouted out their car window to her- 'its ilegal to ride on the road without a hat' and just wondered if anyone knew if it was or not. Personally i think she's mad!

S_N

Visit site
I think it's a legal requirement for under 14's to wear a hat when mounted. That used to be the law anyhow - may have changed though!

annaellie

Visit site
When i done my riding and road saftey it was under 14 and over 14 it was there own choice that was 10 years ago though so someone correct me if thats not the case.

LoxleyEquestrian

Visit site
Oh thats interesting, thanks girlys
smile.gif

henryhorn

www.narramorehorses.blogspot.com
Although my lot school without hats on known horses, none would ever hack out without one.
The thought of bare skin and bone crunching against tarmac and all it's filth doesn't bear thinking about.
Not sure what the legality is, I would think it's personal choice.

SueAllen

Visit site
Just out of interest why doesn't the thought of bare skin and bone crunching against school sides/posts/jump sides bear thinking about? Or against hard horse hoof? Not trying to be antaganistic just have never really been able to see the difference. Both are quite capable of inflicting serious injury against skull bone.

Allykat

Visit site
Thinking logically.....If you are riding on the roads aka tarmac then you would probably be walking. Should you come off you *probably* wouldn't hit your head on the road.

If you are in an arena or school you are more likely to be going at a faster pace or jumping, meaning should you come off there is more chance of you hitting your head.

Funny old world we live in...but you only get one head. Look after it.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Legislation from the Department of Transport says:

"In respect of horse riders, the Department advises that protective headgear should be worn. However, there are no plans to extend the age limit currently in place regarding compulsory headgear. The Horses (Protective Headgear for Young Riders) Act 1995 requires children under 14 to wear protective headgear whilst riding a horse on a road.

LoxleyEquestrian

Visit site
I always wear a hat whatever, its not worth the risk. I was so embarrassed going out with her, she looked a right sight, jeans and trainers too! I was kind of hoping it was illegal not to wear a hat on the road so i could let her know! Oh well its her choice, her head! I certainly won't be hacking out with her again though! Thanks for everyones replies
smile.gif

izzyxxx

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Legal up until 14years of age HOWEVER if you do have an accident whilst on the road and you are not wearing a hat (or bridle) then your insurance is void

[/ QUOTE ] i didn't know about the bridle i ride mine in a headcollor with a couple of lead ropes when i forget my bridle and every now and again bare back oviously not hacking for miles on the road just round the corner over the bridge and onto fields but i know some one who rides their horse to meet up with his mates in its rug bare back obviously in a head collor and with out a hat and then he comes back tacked up still no hat mates no hat so about 5 horses (flighty 16hh+ thoroghbreds exracehorses alot of them) trotting down the road and they will be out for hours it scares me to death i might not ride with tack alot of the time but always wear a hat (if you knew my horse you would understand a helicopter landed near her and she just couldn't care less stood and slept before she carried on walking lol )