Weatherbeeta Kool Coat or other cotton sheet for hot horse?

Jo1987

Visit site
I'm looking for recommendations for a cotton sheet to keep my black pony cool in the summer, he sweats just standing in the field and spends a lot of time in the shelter.
I've been looking at the weatherbeeta Kool coat, do these fit the same as other weatherbeeta turnouts?

Hawks27

Visit site
I have a hot sweaty paint horse as he is pinked skinned and prone to sun burn I bought him the UV silver bug rug combo to put on him on really hot days to protect his delicate skin but have found as a bonus it also seems to keep him cooler than when he is naked as at first I was worried about him sweating in the rug as he is a naturally hot horse. he has an old tough cotton cooler he wears in the stable as he is a dirty beastie and again I find him quite comfortable in this and he is prone to sweaty neck and belly just standing around doing nothing, hes not a remotely hairy horse either

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
they fit weirdly round the neck IME-have one for my 3yo for the stable and unless i do it up on tightest hole (so the neckline is half way to his ears) the shoulders pull badly! it fits better on the retired boy who is narrower through the shoulders and with more wither than my chunky monkey.....that said it doesn't seem to rub despite the odd shape!

the amigo aussies fit much better.

he has the shires sweet itch hoody for the field and i did find this kept my previous horse noticeably cooler underneath.

ihatework

Visit site
My preference is for the Kool Koat style rugs. I never had a problem with the weatherbeeta one, but now use the mark Todd equivalent.

For a really thin reflective fly rug the premier equine ultra light one is my pick.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Fig has an Aussie rug :) Works really well! I removed all the neck cover attachments as I don't put a neck on unless freezing cold (or fly rug out in field).

photo_zpsmsftwggz.jpg

Jo1987

Visit site
He's a reasonably narrow build with some wither - I did think the single breast strap might cause him a problem as rugs do pull tight round his shoulders/withers.
Pointless trying to keep him cool if the rug is uncomfortable and rubs IMO!
It doesn't help that he's an odd size, he wears a 5'6, but occasionaly rugs are too generous/deep for him, if I go down to 5'3 they are always too small! Weatherbeeta usually fit him quite well but have been looking at the shires ones as well.
Hadn't thought of Amigo, will have a look!

WelshD

Visit site
I have Comfort Zone rugs for my two ponies and they are great, I forget what they are called though, they are a soft meshy sheet but not like a fly rug, they wash up like new every time

Will try and find out the name of the style