Weekend achievements!

JustKickOn

Visit site
I've had K four years now (it has flown by!!) and today I could not have been prouder of her.

When I first had her, we couldn't even leave the yard on our own without rearing, spinning and eventually me giving up. She hacks out foot perfect with other horses, but really hates going out on her own. I tried a couple of years ago and we could get so far down the road before she put on the brakes and said no, and would go every direction but forwards.

I've been gradually working on this. Three weekends ago we managed 20 minutes, she popped he anchors on and threatened to go up. She got an almighty boots, a growl and a "get on with you!!" Much to the shock of the cyclist going past, and from that moment, she hesitated, danced and with a gentle "walk on girl" off she went.
Then last week we went out stressaging, and in the hour between tests went for a gentle pootle up the road with our trusty groom walking with us, she was a little hesitant but good.

But this weekend she was just superb. She went trotting off down the drive, keen as anything and out the gate. From there on, she didn't once look back, hesitate and aside from a spook at the builders sign that fell over she was good as gold. But what really made me proud was that we managed to get on the local bridle way, through the creaky gate which I unlocked on-board (she hates metal gates, the noise makes her jittery), she stood perfectly still and then we were away. The bridle way has a lovely sandy surface, it's firm an laugh not to make tracks in but no solid like concrete. We had a lovely trot and then walked along peacefully. We turned back, said hello to some well behaved dogs, behaved past the yappy dog and had a super ride. I hopped off to lock the gate on the way back as she got a bit fidgety, once off she stood like a rock and let me clamber on a log and get back on. Fifty minute ride on our own, no issues, no stress and big smiles. It was so lovely to see her little ears like radars searching ahead for the whole ride.

Anyone who has a tricky horse to hack, be patient. Persevere. It's taken me four years to get to this point, but hard work, determination and most importantly building up that level of trust with your horse really does pay off.

Gratuitous ears photo on the bridle way today..
8D6E5E73-0376-4D95-9F0B-0F1896C4CBCB_zpsocy1gzay.jpg

Hopefully we will be able to go on some even bigger adventures this summer! My ultimate aim is to hack to my house and back! But one small step at a time :)

What have you and your horse achieved this weekend?? :)

Highlands

Visit site
Ridden my baby out today, moon is 5 and we picked her up yesterday from being broken. She never put a foot wrong, instant trust in her and shes fab, forward going non spooky and the new saddle fits to!

Hanson

Visit site
Oh well done both of you!!!! What an achievement- have you come down from cloud 9 yet?!

I have a mate who sounds similar. However 18 months ago she fractured a rib and needed surgery to remove a mass which was on her girth line.

She has alway been nappy in the school and we have avoided it whilst the soft tissue healed. However we have started doing 15 mins of walk to get her to bend.

Today she went wherever I asked without hesitation- I was so proud!