Weekend plans, 3rd weekend of February

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Anyone got plans? Apart from repairing or returning storm items?

I'm allegedly off to a SJ clinic on Saturday morning, though currently its looking breezy and wet ? Its a super arena tho and it took me long enough to pluck up courage to book in with this trainer.

Otherwise I'll be hiding from the storm Eunice tomorrow and probably aching on Sunday! ?

AandK

Visit site
Rode this morning instead of tomorrow (he is not bothered by wind but I think 75mph gusts are a bit much...) did some school work and we actually jumped a jump! It was a teeny cross pole, twice each way, but considering I haven't left the ground for 3.5yrs and haven't jumped him at all (last time he jumped was with his owner when I viewed him), it was a big success! Good as gold. Aiming to ride early Saturday before the wind gets up, standard weekend jaunt up on the downs, followed by Sunday off.

Bernster

Visit site
I was off to larkhill for xc schooling but I think it will get cancelled due to the storm. Either being in it, or the after effects depending when it hits. It’s a long drive over and not one I am keen on doing in 30mph gusts!

Never fear, more fun is planned as I’ve got xc course hire a bit closer instead on Tuesday. Taken a day off to visit chiltern xc with a friend.

Sheep

Visit site
Had my lesson with Pammy yesterday, we were so lucky to catch a break in the weather. What a woman!! She was brilliant. Really good fun, very sympathetic and positive. I loved it! We worked on really getting that softness in the contact and up through the topline, with a real focus on being quick to reward him when he did what we were asking. Simple stuff but really effective, helped a lot with the self carriage and getting him to engage more.

It reinforces the idea that I need to be a bit more black & white with him, I can be a bit of a wishy washy passenger at times (my words not anyone else’s!!) ?

This weekend we are hoping to hack on Saturday if weather allows, then Sunday I have a lesson with a new instructor. I’m sort of between regular instructors at the moment (normal one is off atm) but hoping to get up & running consistently again very soon ☺️

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Our forecast looks like this again, and husband has a judges seminar all day Saturday, so not much riding. Going for lunch with a girlfriend instead on Saturday. Sunday I’ll ride both early, I reset my jump course but I think it will have to wait for another day because neither have been ridden much this week!

I am thankful we have the correct number of shoes again now though
73FBC891-9736-4BCD-9D56-82A61EED6D7A.jpg

Curly_Feather

Visit site
I booked a few lessons on a riding (specifically jumping) simulator. I have a very upright posture (thanks dressage...) when jumping, and I often feel like I get left behind when Odin is jumping particularly enthusiastically. Also, because he is so keen, I want to sit up too early, which either unbalances him or causes my butt to be bumped out of the saddle and I land in a sprawl.

The first lesson yesterday was an evaluation. It was so interesting that the instructor made exactly the same observations as my biokineticist. I injured my right ankle badly last year. My right leg was always the super quiet, steady one. It has completely switched around. My left leg is rock steady and quiet, on the right not so much, because a year of pain has taught my body to shorten that side to try and protect the ligaments. Also, my glutes (both max and medius, although mostly medius) are just coasting along and doing as little as possible. My lower back, hams and quads are doing all the work, even with glute-specific exercises. So back to the bio I go in a few weeks, to see if we can get these things to fire.

Anyway, back to the lesson. After some evaluation stuff, I did a line of endless (and I mean really endless) crosses, with 6 strides between them. Really focussing on pushing my hips back on takeoff and rotating my pelvis forward with TIGHT abs for landing. It felt very weird, but super cool. Can't wait to go back.

Here is a promo video of the simulator:

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I've never been on a jumping one, but did use a dressage one some time back. I found it very confusing. Like, you go into trot and there is no diagonal to feel. Just jigging up and down. In canter, you couldn't feel the slight roll that would tell you which leg you were on.

Looking at that video, I can't see that you would feel a pirouette. When I have ridden them, you really feel the sideways pull that you need to stay with, there wouldn't be that.

I can see the value in a jump one, to align the joints, and bet you have a wonderful lesson for that, but generally I think the promo video over states the product for the 'real feel' aspect in dressage.

I think a few lessons on one is ace, especially for beginners and people who need correction for an injury, but for actual learning the dressage moves, I'm not convinced.

I am quite jealous of the endless line of X poles though, I could do with that myself. Very unfit and out of practice. I may see if there is one locally, I always struggle with drop fences to get the right angle in me!

Chippers1

Visit site
I'm supposed to be at a clinic on Sun, it's indoor so fine for riding but just a bit worried about the drive! It's a short drive but there's a short stretch on an A road that gets some stronger cross winds. Checking the weather every few hours to see if it's changed!
At the moment it's not too bad in the morning (i'm in at 9) and looks like it picks up once I should be home....

Curly_Feather

Visit site
I've never been on a jumping one, but did use a dressage one some time back. I found it very confusing. Like, you go into trot and there is no diagonal to feel. Just jigging up and down. In canter, you couldn't feel the slight roll that would tell you which leg you were on.

Looking at that video, I can't see that you would feel a pirouette. When I have ridden them, you really feel the sideways pull that you need to stay with, there wouldn't be that.

I can see the value in a jump one, to align the joints, and bet you have a wonderful lesson for that, but generally I think the promo video over states the product for the 'real feel' aspect in dressage.

I think a few lessons on one is ace, especially for beginners and people who need correction for an injury, but for actual learning the dressage moves, I'm not convinced.

I am quite jealous of the endless line of X poles though, I could do with that myself. Very unfit and out of practice. I may see if there is one locally, I always struggle with drop fences to get the right angle in me!

I used a dressage one for one lesson years ago, and didn't go back for precisely the reasons you just described. It's not realistic, by any means. And even in jumping, you lack the actual forward momentum, which plays a HUGE role in the whole process :p

But right now I see it as a therapeutic tool. The feedback it can give about which hand is stronger, and which leg is more stable, and which seatbone is carrying more weight is very very cool, and awareness is the first step in trying to correct it on a real horse. And I'm hoping the slow-motion precise practice of moving my hips and tightening my core over the jumps will lead to some better experiences for both my horse and I after a few lessons.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Trying to rapidly replan my weekend. Snow forecast for midday tomorrow when I was meant to be having (outdoor) jumping lessons. So I've entered some local indoor BS for Sunday instead (forecast of torrential rains and high winds) and hoping that it runs... will try and get mine hacked out very early tomorrow pre-snow and post-storms!

blood_magik

Visit site
Another one frantically trying to rearrange plans.

Rockrose with Raz today and then we’re out at mid-week BD on Wednesday as well. I was supposed to be taking all 3 horses but Blue has conventionally developed a lingering cough so I’ve asked if I can swap his entry over to Raz instead of losing it.

still waiting to hear though so I guess I’m going to have to suck it up and learn the extra test just in case.

The baby is getting flung in at the deep end as the practice outing I had planned was cancelled due to storm Dudley and then our lesson yesterday was also cancelled. ?‍♀️

At least his test is nice and simple (P7). I’ve given up trying to learn Raz’s next test (AM96) until I’ve gotten today’s two (M75 and AM92) out of the way ?

Hope everyone survived Eunice without too much damage and disruption.

scats

Visit site
Not much planned this weekend. I worked today, but I’ve got tomorrow off. Weather has been vile most of the day and is forecast 50mph winds tomorrow and heavy rain. I’ve been a bit off colour this week with yet another kidney infection although I’m feeling a bit more human now.
I’ve given up with any riding plans this week and weekend though. Will pick them back up again next week.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Not posted in a while as been flat out!

Last week we went to ALW with a friend to hire the arena XC. He was incredible! Really enjoyed it.

0EAB2E96-5676-4FB5-BB76-384CC3FEDDE9.jpeg
284EADC1-22F6-427D-8571-71F01A1EB611.jpeg
145EBD03-7E13-4D95-A581-876A2B1CD1C7.jpeg

Then we went to Thetford for hacking with a friend. 17 miles in 2 hours and 45 mins of canter. The tracks are insane!!!

E3387BB4-8313-43F7-A6B0-FF001C50E2CA.jpeg

And then back to this week; not much due to the pants weather but we braved the weather yest to compete. He was so super and tried hard for me.

417EBC60-0F41-442C-AAE4-A10AF33D6760.jpeg

Last medium point for summer regionals with 66%+ in 75. Then our second even advanced medium for 66%+ so a sheet towards areas. Had mistakes in both but given the conditions (and I couldn’t ride I’d turnout on Friday!) I’m very pleased :)

Red-1

Visit site
Not posted in a while as been flat out!

Last week we went to ALW with a friend to hire the arena XC. He was incredible! Really enjoyed it.

View attachment 87787
View attachment 87788
View attachment 87789

Then we went to Thetford for hacking with a friend. 17 miles in 2 hours and 45 mins of canter. The tracks are insane!!!

View attachment 87786

And then back to this week; not much due to the pants weather but we braved the weather yest to compete. He was so super and tried hard for me.

View attachment 87790

Last medium point for summer regionals with 66%+ in 75. Then our second even advanced medium for 66%+ so a sheet towards areas. Had mistakes in both but given the conditions (and I couldn’t ride I’d turnout on Friday!) I’m very pleased :)
Amazing post. I really like the movement in the forest photo, feels almost like I was there!

Red-1

Visit site
Baby horse was ace in his indoor XC. We are still only doing real baby stuff, had a blip at a solid cartridge fence, but no big deal. He thought he dared to go right up until he didn't ? but went second time and every time after. Did our first bounce fence too, although I have lunged over one in prep.

Attaching this photo as I love how happy he looks.

274483565_10221980478125041_4903918156754302046_n.jpg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Look forward to your report ?

Unfortunately he cancelled! So I just schooled in the pouring rain instead. Disappointed as I was looking forward to some guidance on downwards transitions. She just ignores the half halt a lot of the time and plows on. I want her much more 'with me'. My dressage RI is helping me a lot with this from a schooling point of view but I was wondering if he was going to offer a different perpective and some new tools in my tool box. But not to be. I am using the Warwick Schiller circling exercise to get her back. Ie half halt and if she ignores me, spiral in till she's with me again and then carry on straight. But isn't tranlsating to coming back to me in a straight line yet. She is only slowing because she is spiralling not because she is deciding to listen. So I am not sure how useful it is as a way of communicating what I want tbh.

I'm also doing loads and loads of transistions and halt-walk-halt is fine, walk - collected trot - walk is fine. But once an active working trot is established I lose connection with her and she gets strong.

I might do a separate thread for top tips/good exercises? Or perhaps it is just hours and hours and weeks and weeks of working at it?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Unfortunately he cancelled! So I just schooled in the pouring rain instead. Disappointed as I was looking forward to some guidance on downwards transitions. She just ignores the half halt a lot of the time and plows on. I want her much more 'with me'. My dressage RI is helping me a lot with this from a schooling point of view but I was wondering if he was going to offer a different perpective and some new tools in my tool box. But not to be. I am using the Warwick Schiller circling exercise to get her back. Ie half halt and if she ignores me, spiral in till she's with me again and then carry on straight. But isn't tranlsating to coming back to me in a straight line yet. She is only slowing because she is spiralling not because she is deciding to listen. So I am not sure how useful it is as a way of communicating what I want tbh.

I'm also doing loads and loads of transistions and halt-walk-halt is fine, walk - collected trot - walk is fine. But once an active working trot is established I lose connection with her and she gets strong.

I might do a separate thread for top tips/good exercises? Or perhaps it is just hours and hours and weeks and weeks of working at it?

Have you tried using shoulder in? Or leg yielding. Shoulder in can help get them back onto their hind end, straight, and not running. When she's strong, shoulder in for a bit, then straight on, repeat as necessary. This can also be done on a circle.

If they're really "rude" about blowing through an aid they might not understand it, or if they're just being rude, I am inclined to promptly halt, do a few steps backwards (also can help with the hind end), and then transition directly to trot. Repeat. Or halt and wait, then straight on. Focus on the hind end. You do want power, but the right kind ?

Adding the disclaimer that I don't know this horse so don't know if any of this would work, just stuff that I've used in the past that has worked, in some cases.

Last edited:

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
After 5 months I finally got back on Stormy. It might not have been the best weather but she's usually sensible - as a riding 6 year old ex racer, she's far more sensible than her much older hacking companion!

I am super excited so there is a blog post and obligatory YouTube video to mark the milestone

https://adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk/2022/02/20/stormys-return-to-ridden-work/

Next vet check is March 11th, so hacking until then.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
CC thanks for reply and some good ideas to try. I honestly can't work put if she is being rude or genuinely doesn;t understand. She understands fine if I put in transtions every few strides but then not if I allow the trot to travel for a bit longer. She understands fine on some days but not when fresher or in the cold and wind - all of which applied today. Is that rudeness or is it that when her blood is up a bit she forgets?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
CC thanks for reply and some good ideas to try. I honestly can't work put if she is being rude or genuinely doesn;t understand. She understands fine if I put in transtions every few strides but then not if I allow the trot to travel for a bit longer. She understands fine on some days but not when fresher or in the cold and wind - all of which applied today. Is that rudeness or is it that when her blood is up a bit she forgets?

A little of both. If a horse knows an aid, and the rider applies the aid correctly, but the horse chooses to ignore it, it's possible that the horse doesn't take the rider seriously/the horse is focused on something else or some other behavior that they deem to be more important than the riders aids. This means that whenever you ask for something you have to absolutely mean it. When this is firmly established you'll be able to rely on things in your toolbox (aids, training, exercises, and whatnot) a bit more and ride through those fresh days in a better way.

The other thing is that you also have to ride the horse that's underneath you. You might have to change the warm up, or even your plans for the ride. If horse is a bit fresh then a more active warm up may be better. Lots of lateral work, transitions, transitions within the lateral movement, and transitions within the gaits every few strides. Don't be a passenger (not saying you are, but remember that you're the pilot here). Sometimes it has to be a more active ride and lots of praise when the horse shows the slightest sign of relaxation, giving, opening their back, and other positive things. Small steps; building blocks.

The other thing is that sometimes you can't just trot around, sometimes it's 5 strides until it falls apart, and you regroup (with a transition usually), then eventually it becomes 8 strides, 10 strides, and so on. To build the balance and strength in both horse and rider takes time and it takes as long as it takes.

Another thing that could apply here is ride every few strides or steps as if they're new. This means applying half halts and keeping the impulsion. Take the energy, and recycle it into something productive, don't just go along with it and then suddenly think, "ooh, she's running and this isn't what I want." be conscious and consistent (just thought about this because I have a friend that said she just went with the trot instead of actually riding it ?). Think of every few steps or strides as a new trot, keep it fresh, active, soft and controlled. Keep the feeling of those first few good steps.

There are also some horses (most) that if you give them an opportunity, they'll take it and it's a bit difficult to convince them otherwise. So if the horse has learned it can just truck around on the forehand, for example, and it's realized this is easier and the rider sort of half heartedly fixes it, it's going to take time and persistence to establish another way. You're sort of retraining both the horse and rider in this type of scenario.

Just some of my sort of scattered thoughts on the matter. ? it's possible you know all of this or have tried it. Just a few things from an outsider ?