Weekend plans - Early edition

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
It's Thursday arvo here and since I would rather it was the weekend I am getting in early.

This weekend we have Wooroloo International Horse Trials. Biggest event for us in WA, and I am really looking forward to it. I don't do the 3 day, don't jump high enough yet, but it's so much fun to compete at anyway. Added bonus is it wont be raining, and the ground is going to be perfect. Extra added bonus is my times are all late, so no early mornings, but we won't be done riding late either. YAY.

Can't wait to see the star level riders in action, and to ride my star around the 95 course. It's 3* to me :p

What is everyone else up to?

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Sounds like an amazing competition to be a part of :D Hope you have an amazing time.

I'm not up to anything much - just in work on Sunday :/ work is just so manic recently that I don't even have the headspace to enter a comp on time, let alone drag my arse to one. Still, Autumn should be more structured if not necessarily quieter, so I should be able to plan some stuff.

Have fun everyone

Wheels

Visit site
I have a XC clinic this evening which I'm looking forward to - not doing much in the way of comps at the minute, we will probs have a couple of long hacks at the weekend, might beach it if the weather's nice

Yeomans

Visit site
I was going to a show on Sunday and really looking forward to it as I haven't done anything since May as my husband has been very ill but now on road to recovery, but helper pulled out last night so having to cancel. Big sigh when will it get any better! Still thank my lucky stars he is still with me and there will be another day another show. Have fun everyone.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Not much on here :) some normal humaning (have to go shopping, urgh) and just training the horses at home. Last quiet weekend for AGES so need to get some boring life admin jobs done before it all gets a bit out of control :D

zaminda

Visit site
I'm off to Norfolk this morning for a big endurance ride. It's our first attempt at an FEI ride so I'm both excited and nervous. My mare is a bit of a lunatic so I'm hoping she behaves. There are over 140 in my class and it's a mass start although I will be avoiding that!
We vet this afternoon and ride tomorrow! Fingers crossed all goes well!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I'm off to Norfolk this morning for a big endurance ride. It's our first attempt at an FEI ride so I'm both excited and nervous. My mare is a bit of a lunatic so I'm hoping she behaves. There are over 140 in my class and it's a mass start although I will be avoiding that!

Oo, if you have a good outing please do a report?! :)

zaminda

Visit site
Will do! I did the national ride there last year and we were lucky to be allowed to start as when they first took her heart rate it was over 120!! She has been better this year but it has been hot which helps and now it isn't. If I can work out how to post pictures I will show you the venue it's unreal!

mairiwick

Visit site
I had a clinic with Sir Mark Todd yesterday which was an incredibly surreal experience! Was only in the beginners group so jumped nothing bigger than 85/90cm but got so much feedback from him to improve as we work towards our Wobbleberry challenge - we have entered our first BE80 on the bank holiday weekend so I'm trying to keep the momentum and keep in all the pointers he gave out. I'm not so sure he appreciated me declaring I was going to be sick after finishing the last mini course he set for us though ;)

rosiesowner

Visit site
Have fun everyone!
mairiwick, that sounds like an amazing experience!
I'm going to be getting in some quality pony time before jetting off to Barcelona on Sunday morning.

Denbob

Visit site
First ever flatwork clinic with the donkey, if I can find a farrier in time! He pulled a shoe tarting around on the way in this morning, thinking it might be time to try without as he's done it twice now. Nervous but excited, first time I've ridden in the school in front of people for yonks.

Asha

Visit site
No competing this weekend for us. So thinking of popping over to Somerford to watch some BE on the Saturday, and then on the sunday may pop out to do a farm ride or gallops nearby.

mairiwick, that sounds amazing, my daughter met him years ago and she couldn't get over how nice he was. I bet you came away with loads of confidence. Good liuck at your first event. Is that at llanymynech by any chance ?

Lexi_

Visit site
Using up some of my volunteering leave tomorrow to fence judge at Somerford and then back again on Saturday for more!

Fiona

Visit site
Feeling a bit meh about competing at the moment.....

Son's pony is being a bit cheeky, so instead of going to a much busier show on Sat with her, we are going to go local SJ this evening instead and keep the fences small.

I could do an arena XC on Saturday (its enter on the day), but pony still not working well (bitting issues), so I might just leave it till we come back from Burghley.

Good luck zaminda, and all those getting off their bum (unlike me) and doing something....

Fiona

mairiwick

Visit site
No competing this weekend for us. So thinking of popping over to Somerford to watch some BE on the Saturday, and then on the sunday may pop out to do a farm ride or gallops nearby.

mairiwick, that sounds amazing, my daughter met him years ago and she couldn't get over how nice he was. I bet you came away with loads of confidence. Good luck at your first event. Is that at llanymynech by any chance ?

Yes Asha I had planned on entering Kelsall as we're so close but looks like the 80 is on Sunday this time so will be a little busier - have watched a friend at llanymynech before and it seemed a nice buzz-free atmosphere so I'm hoping that is the case this time! Oh he was lovely, quite honest when we got things wrong but telling us so we could improve - really got a lot from it!

Reacher

Visit site
I am intimidated about posting when the OP refers to internationals ;)

I would like to go to our local Agricultural show on Saturday and enter the WH and SJ classes at 75cm ish height as I’ve never gone to it before.(There are a couple of classes you can enter on the day).
Trouble is mr horse is so fit and well and full of energy every time I take him anything exciting like jumping on grass he tanks off with me quite badly Eg Last Sunday we did local RC WH class and jumped clear but after the final fence he really took off with me and took a lap to pull him up. Now we are working in our lessons on half halting, keeping him off the forehand etc and trying not to get into a pulling match which is what tends to happen but still not found brakes in exciting situations. Tried different bits eg Waterford (no improvement) and NS elevator (got overbent) without success. (Ps horse is only fed small amount of speedibeet+ minerals)
I am going to test the pulley stop tonight , which I’ve never used before.
Horse is 14 so old enough to know better!!!

I have a YouTube video of Sunday’s excitement but I can’t get the
[youtube]name[/youtube] thingy to work-can anyone help?

cold_feet

Visit site

The Festival of Endurance at Euston Park? I’m there on Sunday in the Novice 32k. We were there last year too, it’s a lovely venue and a great day out. Good luck!

AandK

Visit site
A quiet one for us after the excitement of the last few weeks/weekends. Although I do plan to go to Coombelands on Monday afternoon, as a local RC is running a charity clear round in aid of Willberry Wonder Pony!

blood_magik

Visit site
I’m out both days this weekend - last run through before areas on Saturday and then attempting another 1.10m on Sunday.

I had planned on getting back on the 4yo next Monday Monday but she’s been going so well that I’m going to have a quick sit on her tomorrow after lunging her. Also supposed to be having a jumping lesson tomorrow and then I’ve managed to sort an arena hire for raz next Tuesday to get him out another time before we head up north to Inverurie.

Busy busy busy!

Good luck to all who are out and about this weekend.

Alibear

Visit site
Need to see what my mare thinks to her new luxury transport, starting with can I get her on it! So possibly a trip to the local woods for a hack out as a nice first trip in it. Also trying to stay calm and not rush into anything on the new saddle front... I feel I may fail at this 2nd task!

JFTDWS

Visit site
I'm planning to take the mare to do some barrel racing and western games on Saturday (not that we do "western"). Should be entertaining, if nothing else.

Bernster

Visit site
Mairiwick - feeling sick is a fairly regular event for me during sj lessons! sounds like you are well on your way.

Feeling a bit pants today so gave my lesson a miss. Quiet weekend - sj practice Saturday, then off on hols so not much happening.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I have a YouTube video of Sunday’s excitement but I can’t get the
[youtube]name[/youtube] thingy to work-can anyone help?

try putting it in Video tags as below :)
[video ] youtube link [/video ]

weekend just got a whole load busier as presence has been requested to help set up RC show on Sunday, gah, bad timing but gotta do what you gotta do :D

zaminda

Visit site
The Festival of Endurance at Euston Park? I’m there on Sunday in the Novice 32k. We were there last year too, it’s a lovely venue and a great day out. Good luck!

Yes that's the one! We went last year too its an amazing weekend for all levels I never thought we would be up to doing this sort of thing as she was out of work for years with soundness issues! She has passed the first vet so she starts tomorrow! Good luck on Sunday!

Reacher

Visit site
Thanks MP unfortunately I still cant get it to work.
Took Mr Horse for a canter around a big field tonight. First couple of laps were reasonably polite, lap 3 and 4 were still a struggle to pull up even using the pulley stop.

Fiona, I'm joining you on the setee this weekend, got any biscuits in?

Last edited:
Visit site
I was going to a show on Sunday and really looking forward to it as I haven't done anything since May as my husband has been very ill but now on road to recovery, but helper pulled out last night so having to cancel. Big sigh when will it get any better! Still thank my lucky stars he is still with me and there will be another day another show. Have fun everyone.

Can you not pop a post on your local facebook pages and see if anyone is willing to help you out for lunch/tea/banter?!? I am sure someone would happily join you!

Yeomans

Visit site
Lady that runs the Show phoned and has offered me one of her grooms for the day so I am now going. There are some lovely people out there!

Wheels

Visit site
Well my XC training was great fun last night. M was so cool, really taking everything on.

We had one stop - jumping out of the arena which just totally confused him as he's never had to do that before.

And we also had a couple of run outs at a skinny - I don't think he's jumped one quite that skinny before but after a couple of attempts over he sailed. No probs at the water or ditches or rather large trakehner, so super pleased with him.

He'll get a day off today and then hacks at the weekend.