Weekend plans scuppered. Plan B- your thoughts..?

JustKickOn

Visit site
Entered a comp four weeks ago for tomorrow - two dressage tests (P4 & N27). Lorry went off to have a check on the clutch, came back and they have said it needs new brake pipe and definitely don't take horses in it. BUM.

Can't afford to hire one (min £100 round here), and can't seem to find one to borrow. Horse won't go in a trailer. At same time I don't want to just throw away £22 of entry fees..

Venue is 7.5 miles away, just under 2 hour hack if walking. So 15 mile round hack, tests are half hour apart. Considered hacking but not sure if it's too long time for her to be ridden. She's fit and well used to long distance.

I know my answer, just wondering what others think?

TIA

JustKickOn

Visit site
That was one of the ideas but.. She won't stable :( she just box walks and stresses if shut in. PITA animal!

SpringArising

Visit site
Hack her over well in advance, so that by the time you get there she can have an hour or so of rest. Leave her headcollar on under the bridle, then when you get there you can take her tack off to give her a breather (if you feel like she needs it).

I'd probably leave it if I were you though. It's only £20 and it seems like a lot of effort.

JustKickOn

Visit site
This weekend clearly wasn't destined to be. Friend lent us her trailer on the off chance she would travel in it. Trialled her loading, all ok. Lead her through, she jumped off the other side and has sliced her leg on the front ramp. Stupidly thought "it's only ten minutes" and didn't put her boots on. Stupid stupid stupid stupid. Kicking myself. It's just the hair and skin, no flesh, bled a bit. Cold hosed and it's superficial no flesh or tendon damage at all. Not swollen. Trotted sound on it. It's slathered in aluspray. Phoning vet and seeing how she is in the morning. Cried between the yard, home and I'm now sobbing at home. Really kicking myself for being so bloody stupid :( waaah :( :( :(

JustKickOn

Visit site
I've emailed in my withdrawal :( have asked if they will transfer my entry (regular competitors there over the years and I write for them when I can).
I'll be going to the yard early to check on my girl and see if she is sound and ok. I'm just so gutted that my stupidity has caused her an injury :( Hindsight is a blessing and a barsteward. At least we know that 1) always boot up when doing anything new/interesting/challenging/insert every word here, and 2) she is open to the idea of going on a trailer!

We'll just have to get some rosettes next time instead.

FfionWinnie

Visit site
Oh well it's just one of those things. I travel all of mine in trailers with no boots on all the time (my mare is trailered at least twice a week). You were just unlucky.