Weekend Plans - Week 2 of Feb

Sheep

Visit site
Second week of Feb already! Thought I’d mention that in the title as last weeks thread is still quite active, some really interesting discussion going on about the mix of contributors etc on here and how things have shifted over time - makes for really good reading, actually.

So how is everyone and what plans are afoot (ahoof?)?

Horse had chiro today from a brilliant vet (our normal physio is off atm) so he gets today off and will do some work in hand tomorrow. Really good session and have been making a plan to build him up a bit, he’s a little weak behind so that’s our focus for the next while.

Off to dressage on Sunday, prelim & novice tests, chasing qualifying scores for our regional & possibly national finals at the end of March / beginning of April. Will also get a shift in volunteering while we’re out ☺️

Chippers1

Visit site
Ah you were typing just as I was! I'll repost here and we can use your thread

I just had a terrifying experience I needed to share ?
Tried a new Beval bit with Buzz on the recommendation of an instructor a few weeks ago, so he would listen a little more when jumping. Went into our (not massive) jumping field and as the ground is a little soft I thought I'd just do some canter poles. No idea what happened but he did the poles then just went, absolutely flat out around the field, I was circling but every time we went near the poles again he sped up so it was a vicious cycle, almost thought about bailing! I was so worried his legs would go from underneath him because of the speed and the tightness I was trying to turn him to stop. His lovely voice and seat aids went out the window!!
Eventually I basically grabbed hold of one side of the bit and yanked his head round and he stopped and I jumped off but honestly I thought he would just go forever ? I put his old bit back in and had a little trot around then went in.
He's never done anything like that before! He can be a bit strong jumping but he's never run off with me like that! Safe to say I don't think he likes poll pressure...

Not really sure what to do now, probably just stay in his normal bit and hope for the best ??‍♀️
Rest of the weekend will probably be some low key jumping (with friends so I can use as a stopper if needed!) And hacking.
Enjoy your weekends everyone!

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Ouch, that's not pleasant Chippers1! Glad you managed to stop without bailing out.

I went to a friends this afternoon and we had a jolly time whizzing beautifully popping round a 9 fence course she had put up ??
Tomorrow am hacking, possibly same on Sat.
Sunday if weather isn't as currently forecast, I'm taking B to a new venue to do some CR.

Good luck to those competing and have fun whatever you are doing x

GinaGeo

Visit site
I’ve got a dressage lesson booked on Saturday. It’s Podrick’s turn.

I’m at that funny stage of riding with a new trainer and doing some things a little differently, where it’s all very conscious. The muscle memory hasn’t kicked in yet and it’s not feeling all that fluid at the moment.

The horses are going better for it, but I’m feeling a bit loose and untidy. So quietly working on that.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yesterday was a jumping lesson, so horse got a trim and low-key a free lunge/trick training session today. Tomorrow very light schooling or a hack, then off to a dressage clinic Sat and Sun.

I'm really impressed with his jumping though. Yesterday he was flying and he's doing full courses with new fillers, Liverpools, larger oxers, and combinations. Never imagined this for this horse.

The dressage work is improving too and I'm not sure if it's because of the jumping, a change in our warm-up routine, or the higher octane feed I added. Or all 3 ?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
a weekend without Horse Logistics for me, a nice rest from the stress :p (recommences next weekend so only a brief reprieve)

Intending to attempt to introduce Frank to the indoor arena. I think his little brain will be blown by the mirrors. He's already had an educational week of Doing Turnout (as opposed to living out), Encountering Lorries And Trailers as the lorry park was stuffed to the gunnels with day clients and overnighters this week and he has also recapped Wearing Tack.

will also be making a paddock for Kira at the big field (can't call it retirement home any more now the young whippersnapper has moved in).

Ambers Echo

Visit site
The technical XC arena at Somerford is being taken out soon so had a cheeky little trip there this morning. @photo_jo was there for a clinic and very kindly took this snap of us. Lottie was fab. She seems to have got her head around jumping and feels full of confidence.

SJ trip on Saturday then we will have a break from jumping for a couple of weeks.

Have fun everyone, whatever you’re doing.

8F82BC56-B1F1-4A70-99EE-A89FCD970460.jpg

AandK

Visit site
More of the same for us. A bit of schooling with a few poles tomorrow before work, canter loads better on Monday compared to last Friday, much to my relief! So will build on that too. Then another up on the downs hack Saturday, last weekend was a success and his foot is holding up v well this time!

Last edited:

DressageCob

Visit site
I had a great lesson this morning. My horse has become a lot more sensitive to my aids and my aids aren't crisp enough so I've been having changes in the right canter when I should be cantering large. There's a few factors (my outside leg creeps back and nudges the quarters in, my inside hand drops, my body twists...all fairly subtle but enough!!). Anyway today we worked on the canter and I had a few stretches of really good medium canter. I was laughing because he was just shifting up through the gears. Awesome.

Tomorrow we were *supposed* to be at Northallerton for the Medium AFs. Instead, the wonder cob is in Leahurst having had colic surgery. So between my lesson at 9am and lunchtime he was fine. He started stomping at about 12:15 and my yard know him so well the they were just on it. Vet out, usual jabs. He went to his other job and came back on his way back and wasn't happy so straight to Leahurst where they found a twist. I had the call an hour ago that they didn't remove any small intestine, just untwisted him, he came round ok so now it's just a waiting game. Please send us straightforward recovery vibes!

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Oh no DC what an awful shock. How quickly a day can go from fabulous to horrific. Everything crossed for a super speedy and uneventful recovery xx

blood_magik

Visit site
Fingers crossed, DC…

My little Henry headed off to his new loan home this morning. The yard was so quiet without him when I went down to sort the horses earlier ? but at least this way he gets to do what he loves now that I can longer jump him myself.

On a slightly happier note, Baby NV now has a properly fitted saddle (?) so I can crack on with getting him ready for his first BD show at the end of the month.

Our local venue is running regionals and areas this weekend so im hoping that the boards, flowers and judges boxes will still be out when we go over for a lesson on Tuesday.

Blue is having a quiet week as he’s got his annual spring-time cough so I’ll have time to really concentrate on Raz’s changes - we started looking at tempis in our last lesson so I’ll probably spend a bit of time working on those before we look at M75 and AM92 for next Saturday.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

SEL

Visit site
The microcob is back tomorrow from her extended stay at the vets and I get to somehow rehab 2 horses whilst holding down a job (pays the vet bills) & having no light after about 5:30. Also need to make a small pen somewhere for her that she won't escape from. Given up the idea of actually ever riding!

Sorry to hear about the colic DC. Sounds lucky that the yard were on it quickly so hoping for a good outcome.

Caol Ila

Visit site
See how Hermosa is after herd rearrangement. YO moved some horses around, and she’s no longer sharing a paddock with the alpha mare that permanently glued itself to her. Hermosa wasn’t dominant enough to tell that mare to get tae f*ck. She was a bit better on Wednesday, but after weaning, she seems to have lost her ability to retain new (and some old) information.

Fin will hack.

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Glad your yard and vet was completely on it with the colic DC.

I had a great lesson today. All my faults were discovered in about 3 minutes and I then spent 40 minutes being chronically uncomfortable. I love an amazingly blunt technical lesson which results in a good outcome.

☀️ Don’t think about the head (mine shove it’s head up) think about the weight in your hand instead. They should be holding your hand confidently.
☀️ On a strong horse you are often killing the canter - ride with more leg. Only correct if running but in balance let them get on with it.
☀️showjumping should be off medium canter not working.
☀️don’t just ride strong corners and sit and do nothing. Carry on riding positively.
☀️Strong horses get strong because you are restricting them - killing the canter by removing the pace is no1 issue.

Jeni the dragon

Visit site
Feels so nice to have something going on this weekend!
Bob was out doing dressage yesterday, did a nice settled test and rider was very pleased. Its his first outing since Bicton so thought his tiny mind might have been blown!
Instructor is at the yard on Monday so Sister and I are heading down to watch. She's made huge improvements to his jumping so I can't wait to see how the lesson goes. Plus we've not been to the yard since 2020 and not seen Bob since May so it'll be great to catch up!

Hope everyone else has a great weekend! And positive vibes from here for your boy DC!

J_sarahd

Visit site
Nothing for us this weekend. Might just hack as Badger is due the dentist and I could really tell he was overdue last night - so fussy in the mouth, tongue over the bit and really leaning on it. So hoping to get the dentist out asap to see him as we have a lot planned the rest of this month

Bernster

Visit site
Interesting LEC, I haven’t cracked the canter work with Bertie and struggle to get the balance between holding and letting go, and speed v balance.

Colic is such a horrid thing to deal with, sending healing vibes DC.

And GinaGeo, I’m the same, I hate when it feels ‘messy’.

Jump lesson on Saturday with Bertie bumpkin. We didn’t have a great session last time (different ins and venue) so I will see if we can regain our composure this time and not to whizz around like a maniac!

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
www.youtube.com
Interesting LEC, I haven’t cracked the canter work with Bertie and struggle to get the balance between holding and letting go, and speed v balance.

Cian O'Connor described it the other other day and said its a lifetime of learning the correct timing in showjumping. The timing between leg and hand as each horse, each moment, each jump is different. Tim and Jonelle took something like 25 horses the other day to jump under a master in Luis Cervera. It was at that point I thought jeez a mere mortal will NEVER have that ability to learn/practice timing. In one day they have jumped as many jump as I probably do in 4 months.

Sheep

Visit site
Cian O'Connor described it the other other day and said its a lifetime of learning the correct timing in showjumping. The timing between leg and hand as each horse, each moment, each jump is different. Tim and Jonelle took something like 25 horses the other day to jump under a master in Luis Cervera. It was at that point I thought jeez a mere mortal will NEVER have that ability to learn/practice timing. In one day they have jumped as many jump as I probably do in 4 months.

Funny that’s much like what an SJ coach said to my OH recently. For those of us with maybe 1 horse, we can’t physically jump them enough to get the practice we actually need, because it’s just too demanding on them. His compromise is to ride “courses” made up of eg a single pole on the ground etc.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com

And then I sometimes wonder if my riding 2 horses fairly regularly over jumps now is actually worse for me than riding the 1 - because at least with 1, I could adapt very very specifically to him. Now I've got two that ride like polar opposites, I find the immediate adjustment between them very difficult!

Although I liked the Sam Watson story about how he wanted to improve his SJ but couldn't do enough actual SJ with his horses - so spent months jumping literally thousands and thousands of times over a single pole on the floor.

Anyway, this weekend I've just got a trip to Somerford for arena XC with the older horse and hacking out the rest of the time. He can sometimes be quite naughty at Somerford when its busy (and it will definitely be busy) so I best sit tight!