Weekend plans

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Everyone is obviously having too much fun, or the season is winding down!

Saturday I'm going for a ride with a friend. We are going out early because it's starting to warm up here, forecast is for 33c! So not ready for that yet. Hopefully there is still water in the creek to have a splash in.

Henry has one last competition for the season on Sunday, a nice easy dressage test and 45cm show jumping round. I'm looking forward to it, which is great because previously i would be way too nervous!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
😂😂 too busy yesterday 😂
Had a fab lesson yesterday with kira, settling into a winter of developing the advanced work now 🙂

Off to Your Horse Live on Saturday to keep OH company, he's on call farrier for the weekend.

Quiet weekend for the horses, the hunt are coming over the farm so they will be safely tucked up in their boxes.

Have fun everyone 🙂

PapaverFollis

Visit site
I have a plan! Omg. I have an actual thing!

Riding club dressage on Sunday! Two intro tests for me and The Beast (I'm not even making hubby ride her in a competition first, brave pants firmly pulled up and duck taped on). I am pretty much terrified. Have never ridden a competitive dressage test. Not since stuff on riding school ponies at Pony Club which I don't think counts.

It's in an indoor and The Beast has only been in a much bigger indoor once before so we'll see what she makes of it! I'm just trying to accept that we won't be at our best and not worry about that too much. The important thing is to go and do it.

blood_magik

Visit site
I took three of the horses to BS Wednesday night so I’m at home this weekend - think the plan is to sort fencing for our winter paddocks and then I have a few arena hires booked.

Little horsebox is going down to Preston on Monday for repair. Was supposed to be having a gridwork lesson on the baby Monday night but have had to cancel so we now have a lesson Tuesday to prep for the Premier Show Wednesday. Hoping to take Henry as well but not sure I’ll have time as I have to drop the pup off at the vets to get spayed first thing.

Still feeling pleased with myself for actually making it in the ring with Ellie the other day. That was only my third time jumping her and it quickly became painfully clear that we have a long way to go - she napped for Britain on our first attempt and we got eliminated without even making it near the first fence 🙈
We did make it over a couple of jumps when we went back in HC, thankfully. Lesson learned - always carry a stick, just in case 🙃

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Bernster

Visit site
All still in bed over here AE! Be nice to read your summer reports whilst we’re in the cold and wet. Enjoy your quiet weekend, hope the hunt doesn’t send them bonkers MP. Have fun PF, you’ll be fab.

Sj lesson off the yard on Saturday havent done as much home practice as I’d like. I’m supposed to be working on controlling my whopping pony club kick which I do 3 strides out but it’s well ingrained so will be a tough one to deal with

Had a fab lesson yesterday having done little schooling in between, but he’s getting really consistent now and is such a good boy in the school. I need to expect a bit more now and not settle for good enough apparently, eek. Still on a high from last weekend’s drag hunt outing, we both love it and he is all happy the week after.

Pippity

Visit site
It was meant to be the saddle fitter tomorrow and our very first dressage test (the dizzy heights of Intro A) on Sunday.

So, of course, she's developed an abscess.

rosiesowner

Visit site
Yesterday Chilli popped out for some arena hire, despite not being able to catch her at lunch time!! The changing seasons always send her a bit silly about coming in. Anyway, managed to keep her moving till she decided she was tired and needed a little break. Approached her with the bucket with treats in it. She tentatively ate some, I headed to her left side and moved the rope under her chin, she went to run off. Quick retreat from me as I planned my next move and she was primed to go off again. I knew if she got away again I'd never catch her in time as we were already running late. And so... GRAB. QUICK AS A FLASH. I HELD ONTO THE HEADCOLLAR AS SHE REARED AND TRIED TO RUN AWAY. DRAGGED ALONG THE FIELD UNTIL SHE GAVE UP.

And then she loaded perfectly and went and did some of this:

45745342_2184210598533041_5701483649950547968_n.jpg

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Fiona

Visit site
Ohhh naughty Chilli :( I'm glad you grabbed her in time before she bugg**ed off again...

Good luck PF..

Oh no pippity, your lovely new pony :( Hope he's sound soon.

Enjoy YHL milliepops, I've had my retail therapy for this week, as visited a saddler yesterday on my way hack from renewing my driving license, and also bought 7yo his first pair of long boots for Xmas (Harry Hall edlington - they look lovely and soft)

Good luck everyone competing :) We've been competing non stop for a month, so this weekend I plan to stay at home, clip OH's mare who is like a woolly bear, and have a couple of nice hacks.

My new micklem has arrived for FIonn (was borrowing one previously), so I'll spend some time soaping it and getting it put together.

FIona

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Good luck to everyone that's out and about this weekend!

I'm sat like a kid at Christmas nervously awaiting the arrival of the foalie. Last update from the driver was forever ago and they'd had a few delays so not sure what his ETA will be. Why there isn't a track my foal app yet is anyone's guess?! I think OH might disown me soon if I don't stop waving videos of daddy (sire for anyone worrying I've got some weird fetish! :p) in front of him and saying "oooh but look how pretty he looks here".

Then out on Sunday for our very first Elementary :eek: I'm finding the two test method is really working for M, although this time we'll be doing Novice and Ele rather than Prelim and Novice so will hopefully manage to still keep a handle on my nerves. Fortunately late times again and small classes so should be the perfect practice run, at least on paper it is! We managed 3 x 8s in the Novice last week and just missed out on being placed with 66.35% after a few silly mistakes, so hoping to try and improve on that this weekend.

Chippers1

Visit site
Hopefully without jinxing it my horsebox is currently fixed....so I am off to the saddlers tomorrow to check his saddle fit then on Sunday we have our first ever affiliated working hunter show! It's BSPS heritage M&M Novice and i'm half looking forward to it and half terrified as it'll be our biggest competition course to date at 75-85cm. I will be doing the unaffiliated training stakes class first at 65-70cm to give us a bit of a warm up but it may be a close eyes and kick moment at the 85 jumps! 75 I am perfectly fine, 80 is a push but do able and the 85 is scary....but I was schooling last night over 75 to 90 so this is what I will remember!
Honestly it was only a few months ago I wouldn't even jump 60 so this is a huge step :)

Fiona

Visit site
Hopefully without jinxing it my horsebox is currently fixed....so I am off to the saddlers tomorrow to check his saddle fit then on Sunday we have our first ever affiliated working hunter show! It's BSPS heritage M&M Novice and i'm half looking forward to it and half terrified as it'll be our biggest competition course to date at 75-85cm. I will be doing the unaffiliated training stakes class first at 65-70cm to give us a bit of a warm up but it may be a close eyes and kick moment at the 85 jumps! 75 I am perfectly fine, 80 is a push but do able and the 85 is scary....but I was schooling last night over 75 to 90 so this is what I will remember!
Honestly it was only a few months ago I wouldn't even jump 60 so this is a huge step :)

Good luck chippers...

You're at about the same stage as me jumps wise (comfortable at up to 75), and I need to get going next year as M&M WH over here is 80-90cm :(

Brave pants needed....

Fiona

JFTDWS

Visit site
Sounds like lots of fun stuff happening. I wouldn't worry about the dressage, PF - you're going for the horse's education, not to win, so really, it's just a cruise around in a new arena!

Nothing planned here - my tow car was supposed to be going in for diagnostics for a warning light which has mysteriously gone off and cancelled the code. I suspect it's just storing up some badness for another time! So just hacking and more hacking here - it's meant to be cold and wet and miserable too. And Fergs tried to kill me twice today - a full 360 spin because of a pigeon, and a sideways launch mid-gallop because the grass looked dangerous... I love winter, I really do :p

Chippers1

Visit site
Good luck chippers...

You're at about the same stage as me jumps wise (comfortable at up to 75), and I need to get going next year as M&M WH over here is 80-90cm :(

Brave pants needed....

Fiona

Thank you :)
You can borrow mine! I think when it says 'Novice' it should be below 80 :p my other tactic was to try and squeeze him into the under 143cm class but I don't think I will manage that without chopping his feet off ;) i'm aiming next year to do a BE80 but it's just taking that step up, I like courses that are a mix of heights so you can relax over the smaller ones but push for a few bigger and really get your confidence up but there are very few around!

Fiona

Visit site
Thank you :)
You can borrow mine! I think when it says 'Novice' it should be below 80 :p my other tactic was to try and squeeze him into the under 143cm class but I don't think I will manage that without chopping his feet off ;) i'm aiming next year to do a BE80 but it's just taking that step up, I like courses that are a mix of heights so you can relax over the smaller ones but push for a few bigger and really get your confidence up but there are very few around!

I'm in Ireland and we have no EI80 classes :( :(

Such a shame....

My little chap is about 13.2 ish, so we do thankfully get into the 143 class :)

Fiona

Snowfilly

Visit site
Sadly and terrifyingly, all foreseeable plans canceled after Mum was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. We were both meant to be showjumping this weekend :-(

So probably panicking at home and desperately tying to fit our shared list of winter chores for the yard into the next few days.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Oh no Snowfilly, I'm sorry to read that. Wishing you and your mum strength. X

I shall worry less about my dressage I think. Perspective restored. X

DressageCob

Visit site
Nothing too exciting for me. Flat lesson tomorrow on the big cob. Going to do some in hand pole work with the little cob, as recommended by the vet, to help him get used to his change in vision. Viewing a house at some point too since mine has now sold and is nearing completion (all being well).

Sunday my yard has a fabulous remembrance Sunday ride. The hack leader has the full uniform of a Cheshire regimental soldier and this time they are riding to the war memorial in the next village. normally he does a short speech in the forest but this year there will be an audience. I'm thinking of joining on the big cob before our jump lesson in the afternoon.

http://www.so-cheshire.co.uk/utkinton-and-cotebrook-to-honour-ww1-horsemen/

DressageCob

Visit site
Sadly and terrifyingly, all foreseeable plans canceled after Mum was diagnosed with cancer yesterday. We were both meant to be showjumping this weekend :-(

So probably panicking at home and desperately tying to fit our shared list of winter chores for the yard into the next few days.

Oh that's awful. how scary and upsetting for you both. X

Pippity

Visit site
It was meant to be the saddle fitter tomorrow and our very first dressage test (the dizzy heights of Intro A) on Sunday.

So, of course, she's developed an abscess.

And now I've developed a fractured finger. (I was holding her for poulticing, she pulled back when another horse bit her, and my finger was in the wrong place.)

Horse ownership gets better, right? I will be able to ride her more than twice a month?

Surbie

Visit site
Snowfilly, really sorry, that's awful. I hope you are getting some headspace as well as being able to do the chores.

PapaverFollis - good luck with the dressage, hope it goes well. I felt the same way not very long ago!

Today I went to a classical dressage demo. Four horses at a range of ages, levels and abilities. Really REALLY interesting, though more the ones that I thought were within the eventual reach of my abilities rather than the extra fancy leggy one with all the snazzy buttons to push. That one was the stuff of dreams!

Came back and stared wistfully at a bedraggled, mud-plastered, hairy, tubby cob stuffing his face with hay. Keep whispering 'cobs can!'

Bernster

Visit site
No pics as I was on my own yesterday. Arrived running late to the yard to find my horse was a hippo. Tried a cold shower which he was very unhappy about but all I did was smear mud over us both and make us late.p as the traffic was bad too. Not the best of starts.

Very glad my sj lesson was indoor as I hadn’t checked the forecast to see what a miserable day it was going to be. But once we got going it was very good, not technically hard or arduous, but blimming heck I found it mentally tricky as we’re trying to get rid of some very ingrained bad habits so it took all of my brain power to do that! Tough going but I’ve got stuff to practice on at home until my next one in Jan.

Surbie

Visit site
We did our first solo road hack today, up to the war memorial at the British Legion for the service. He was very good - the scout patrol lowered their flags so we could go past and there was a bit of worry about a tarp'd car, but otherwise he was an absolute legend. Not even the last post bothered him, which is good cos I was a bit teary. You can't see his poppy in the photo, but he is wearing one.

Lots of fuss from people there and he was really good about crowds of kids and parents wanting to say hello.

Remembrance Sunday is very important to me and I really REALLY wanted to take him this year. I am so pleased we did it. We got thanked for coming too, which I wasn't expecting.

Archie at the British Legion.jpg

Chippers1

Visit site
Well my day didn't go to plan...3rd in the training stakes class (out of three...) after stopping at the first fence 🙄 then having one down because I kicked the wing 😅 everyone else went clear. Then the 75-85 class was a disaster! Jumped the first fine, the second fence was the same as the first fence in the first class and was full up 85 so we stopped 3 times and were eliminated! So disappointed. Wishful thinking that most of them would be 75 with the odd 85 but they were pretty much all 85 aside from the first one!

I think this pushed him a little too much so we will be dropping back down to 70/75 classes. Such a shame as he has been schooling round 85/90 at home and jumps lovely when he gets going but you can't win them all. We also haven't been out to a comp since July!

Snowfilly

Visit site
So following on from my earlier post, my Mum put her foot down and insisted that her cancer diagnosis wasn't enough to stop both of us competing today.

My mind wasn't entirely on the job and we got 4 faults for a knockdown in both the 80 and 90, the first was entirely my fault on the striding but I'm feeling he could have been more helpful in the 90 instead of looking in the gallery as we turned to the stile. Technically 5th in the 80 but my dear instructor is currently on a withholding rosettes unless you jump clear kick, so no frillies.

On the plus side, we jumped the evil filler that got us in trouble last week, and me and Mum felt a lot better for a day out. I lost track of her for a while and found her plaiting up horses in exchange for coffee and chips...

And thank you all for the good wishes - much appreciated.