Weekend plans

blood_magik

Visit site
Thought I’d get things started while I’m waiting for my dad to arrive.

I’m off to look at another horse today. Was supposed to be trying two out but they’ve decided they don’t want to sell the one I was really interested in. 😕 Hoping the other will be a good fit otherwise I guess I’ll be looking to book flights over to Belfast once dad comes back from Dubai.

Beau had his hocks medicated yesterday so was planning to concentrate on Henry for a bit but he’s gone bloody lame. Lovely Vet wants to nerve block if no improvement in a few days so I’ve gone from having four horses to jump to potentially having to steal Blue back off dad. 😑

Hope everyone is having better luck than I am. 🙈 And if you could all please keep your fingers crossed for my viewing to go well it would be appreciated 😬

Nayumi1

Visit site
This weekend will be busy as always. Will be trying to get video footage of my partners daughter riding, working with horses etc for her GCSE's.

Sunday I have a lesson which I am very much looking forward too. After two weeks rest, waiting for the saddle fitter etc it will be nice to get back into riding!

Snowfilly

Visit site
There's a showing show on at the school, so I need to polish my boots and actually find a hat silk. Jumping is so much easier!

Riding the school's big old Irish hunter in best combination and veteran, I haven't done a ridden class in 14 years so it'll be a challenge to remember my individual show.

Plus I've agreed to lead my friends little girl in the kids classes, as mum has hurt her back. I think we're doing wooliest pony, Therwell and cutest mare...

Fiona

Visit site
Good luck BM - I really hope your viewing goes well x x

On Mon I had a great SJ lesson with RC and jumped 80-90cm :eek: F also came with Daisy and jumped spreads and about 80cm which is huge for him :eek:
On Tues F had a PC rally and they went fab...

I'm not sure if we are going anywhere on Saturday, but on Sunday I have a lesson with Ian Fearon through my RC area committee :) So excited, as I've been to his demos and he is brilliant, and trains the Irish eventers....

Fionn had his back done yesterday, and seemingly he was sore... This is probably after his hiorrid trip up at our XC lesson a fortnight ago, so I'm so glad I booked the physio just in case. He's having today and tomorrow off....

Fiona

Chippers1

Visit site
I've got an arena eventing clinic on Sat, really looking forward to it. I've asked to concentrate on the water jump as he does not like them! He will follow a horse in but will not walk in on his own, not helpful for future comps. The school at home has been a bit flooded this week so I spent Monday going through the big puddles multiple times in preparation, he was reluctant at first but by the end was charging through them in all paces, I know they're much smaller than a water jump but fingers crossed....

DressageCob

Visit site
I'm taking clients from the riding school on a farm ride to Kelsall Hill on Saturday. It should be fun.

I have a lesson on my little cob beforehand. Just building up again now after all the time off. So far so good. One of the yard girls rode him yesterday for the first time and he was apparently very trusting and very good.

After the farm ride I have a jump lesson on the big cob. That's in preparation for Sunday.

Sunday we are doing BD combined training at Reaseheath. I'm doing the smallest class (70cm) and just hoping we keep at least some of the jumps up. He's unfortunately still jumping straight through them a lot of the time, unless they are big enough or scary enough to force him to think about things. We did a double last weekend and he took all the poles from the first part with him to the second part, and a few feet beyond. So no high hopes for placings! He just needs more outings under his belt.

mavandkaz

Visit site
quick schooling session tomorrow, and hack on Saturday.
then off to a Mark Corbett clinic on Sunday. Am both excited and nervous - really have no idea what to expect.

hope everyone has a good weekend

Wheels

Visit site
Aw that's a shame BM but I'm sure you'll find something soon.

Enjoy your clinic Fiona, I hope your ponio feels better after his treatment.

Tomorrow I will be mostly trying to avoid storms, Saturday I'm out and about with a friend who is going into hospital next week for a very serious and frankly heart breaking operation to remove his voice box due to cancer. I am not sure if I will get to ride tomorrow or Saturday but really need to as on Sunday we are entered into a derby - just got my time sent through... it's real now lol

blood_magik

Visit site
Good luck everyone 🙂

I’ve been second-guessing my decision all afternoon/evening and after speaking to one of my trainers just there, I think I’m going to go back and try today’s horse again 🤔

He was quite a playful horse and I just felt a little vulnerable when he started playing about with me after the fence. But then after watching back the videos dad took I’ve realised that it’s nowhere near as bad as what Ellie used to do (think head between knees and hump across the school, then slam the brakes on 🙄).

Plus I don’t think the saddle helped as I hate riding in close contact saddles with a passion - give me a nice big knee block any day 😄

Thinking back, I wasn’t too keen on Beau the first day I tried him either and he turned out to be the right horse. 🤷‍♀️

Argh! What do I do? 🙈

Bernster

Visit site
BM didn’t you like the 1st horse you tried? That one sounded like you clicked. Unless I’m mixed up with someone else on here who is trying horse’s too!

It’s very personal ofc but I have to say, with all of mine I’ve known very early on, on the first try, whether it’s a go or not. I’ve ummed and ahhhd about others but didn’t get them in the end as I do feel like it should be a much clearer decision. For me at least. Don’t get desperate and take your time to really find a corker.

blood_magik

Visit site
You’re right, I did. Just thinking the one I tried yesterday would be a better fit for what I’m wanting to do, you know?

Think I’ll start a separate thread so I’m not taking over this one 🙈

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Hope horse hunting resolves well one way or another. If it helps I was totally meh about Amber when I got her. (Long story) so first impressions can be very misleading! On the other hand with most previous horses I have known immediately and I usually trust gut instinct. (So that's me nicely on the fence on that one....:rolleyes:)

Good luck at the show Snowfilly. I can't ever remember tests!

Sounds like the jumping is going brilliantly now Fiona. Woop woop

Have fun everyone out and about at clinics and comps. I am also out at a clinic: Arena Eventing at Somerford. Really looking forward to it. And the girls have pony club on Sunday which will be Dolly's first trip out. She has been a star in the school at home so I am not anticipating an issue but we will see.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Staying out of this horrid weather, playing with Faran and then taking my badminton kids that I coach to the bowling for their Xmas trip :)

Fingers crossed for you BM hope you find a nice new partner to enjoy :)

scats

Visit site
Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

No plans here. I struggle in December every year, I think the dark plays a huge part in it, so Millie is on December down-time and just working lightly 3-4 days a week. High winds forecast here so no riding planned until Sunday.
I might start wrapping some Christmas presents!

Denbob

Visit site
Good luck everyone!

Nothing exciting here, work Christmas party tonight, yard Christmas party tomorrow and I think Denzel will be heaving my hungover bum round a small hack with a lovely new lady at the yard on Sunday.

Had a faaaaabulous lesson last night, Denzel is really starting to work through his back and step under with his inside hind, or as much as he can while still being quite weak and baby-ish but yesterday we got a good 20m circle of quality trot on each rein with minimal fuss - admittedly that was then him done for the lesson (mentally as well as physically) so let him stretch out and took it very easy. He's such a trier and once he understands what you're asking he'll go to the ends of the earth to make it happen - despite my post in the Tack Room about my jods - I love my pony! My instructor is a very honest woman and even she was talking to another livery about how quickly he's improved and how hard he works and what a lovely big straight moving horse he is so I do feel a little bit justified in my little cloud 9 bubble!

Fiona

Visit site
Aw that's a shame BM but I'm sure you'll find something soon.

Enjoy your clinic Fiona, I hope your ponio feels better after his treatment.

Tomorrow I will be mostly trying to avoid storms, Saturday I'm out and about with a friend who is going into hospital next week for a very serious and frankly heart breaking operation to remove his voice box due to cancer. I am not sure if I will get to ride tomorrow or Saturday but really need to as on Sunday we are entered into a derby - just got my time sent through... it's real now lol

Definitely start a separate thread BM, and set out the horse search story so far x x

Wheels - your poor friend... I used to follow a chaps blog who had that operation, but I've lost touch with it recently as it was through another person's fb page..... I hope the operation works, and removes all the cancer...

Good luck on Sunday, the course for their Halloween Derby was super..

Good luck AE too, and for Dolly's first outing on Sunday... Fingers crossed she will be perfect. Any update with Max?

Stay safe everyone, but we were forecast the storm too, and so far its a lovely day here.....

FIona

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Good luck with your plans everyone. BM, I didn't fall in love with The Beast on first viewing, it's been a slow burn, but OH saw the potential and insisted and I love her now. I used to believe in needing to click straight away, but now think it can take a bit longer and that's ok.

I'm considering still taking The Beast to our polework lesson even though this week has been a bit disrupted for turnout and she's had a day off work. I was worried about the risk of her tying up without a perfect run up to the harder work of a polework session but OH rode her last night and it sounds like she went well and worked quite hard anyway so I may be over stressing... lesson is half an hour private so can take things easier if I feel she needs it.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Storm wise, it's beautiful here at the moment but the wind is picking up a bit. Assuming the gusts stay below 50mph ish The Beast will work later. 😂 Not forecast to be as bad as elsewhere in Scotland here.

McFluff

Visit site
Good luck when the horse hunt BM, and to everyone else who has plans.
Quiet one for me, with just a lesson this weekend. I’m supposed to be going for a hack tomorrow but not liking the gales...

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Good luck with the search BM 🙂
Funny weekend here, took a friends horse into horspital late on Thursday night, had been colicky all day and wasn't looking positive. Apparently by Friday morning he was barging around in his usual expressive way so all good and discharged home this morning. Quick turnaround when we got back to take kira out for her second go at an inter1.

Wowow I was so chuffed with her. A few light bulbs have switched on recently and she was just trying her socks off. 66.97 was the score and the lovely comments from the judge made my eyes a bit leaky. Great way to finish the year.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Well done Milliepops. 👍🙂

The Beast worked well tonight so we're still on for polework. Think I'm chickening out and getting husband to ride instead though. My head has decided I'm useless and can't ride and I don't think there's any point arguing with it. She'll get more out of the polework without me up on her back frozen with nerves. And I can watch and take notes for exercises to do at home.

Chippers1

Visit site
Clinic was good, even cantered through the water! He was very enthusiastic and felt like a different horse...until I had a run out and i remembered who i was on 😅 I have to stop getting complacent that he'll go over everything!
Couple of pics20181209_083251.jpg
Screenshot_20181209-083458_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20181209-083802_Gallery.jpg
Shame I don't have a pic of him jumping that brush fence as he did it so nicely!

Reacher

Visit site
Hope everyone has a nice weekend.

No plans here. I struggle in December every year, I think the dark plays a huge part in it, so Millie is on December down-time and just working lightly 3-4 days a week. High winds forecast here so no riding planned until Sunday.
I might start wrapping some Christmas presents!

Just wanted to say I struggle in winter too usually but this year I have been using a daylight lamp religiously for 2 hours every day and compared to previous years I feel so much better. Luckily work let me use it at my desk first thing.

I took Thursday off work for one of my occasional jumping lessons with a SJ pro who comes down this way mid week. We are still working on control between jumps but the instructor is very complimentary about his jump which makes me very happy! Eg when we stand off a jump he says mr H doesn’t jump flat, he just keeps going up!
Mr H does have a habit of accelerating in the middle of a combination and missing a stride out so instructor puts poles in between to help. Have a bit of a problem that after a jump I’m not sitting up quick enough and Mr H sticks his head down and tanks off so plenty to work on.
Was meant to have flatwork lesson yesterday but I cancelled due to the winds. Am hiring an arena instead today.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone

Reacher

Visit site
Oh and I forgot to say the prize for stupidity goes to me - I got home from thursday’s lesson in the dark, mr reacher had got home before me and put on the floodlight on the front of the house. So I arrived and walked around the front of the house in the light and walked around the corner into darkness and slap bang into the full height wrought iron gate I had shut behind me when I left earlier in the day...clattering my face resulting in a large cut to the nose and swelling around the eyes (which has now gone down) and a thick head. What a tw1t.
Bit embarrassing at work as I’m having to have meetings with people higher up the food chain who don’t know me with a large cut on my nose!

JFTDWS

Visit site
Barrel racing for me yesterday... Rotten barrels, 4th, with one down in our third run. Good bending runs for a 2nd (though a bit cavalier with the poles and we were lucky to leave them up!). Epic fun games after for a 1st - apparently we can stack presents at speed :p And a barely deserved 4th for fancy dress!

47579636_923576801184700_6600241204867104768_o.jpg

48365764_923577974517916_1226102851067969536_n.jpg

oldie48

Visit site
I didn't post that I had entered an UA riding club competition in case I bottled and didn't go. however Rose and I got out for the very first time today, just a couple of prelims but she was brilliant and did everything asked of her very calmly and just gave me bags of confidence. I over cooked her and am so out of practice that I chucked marks away with inaccuracy but we had a 68.86% and 69.62% for a 6th and 5th place in good company, so I was very pleased. She is weak behind and was tired by the second test but I cannot fault her temperament, she is just lovely and now walks on the lorry without hesitation, stands nicely for me to get on and was totally unphased by a busy warm up. A friend took a pic which I will post if she sends it to me.
Just to add neither us has competed since early 2016 but she was far less rusty than I was!rose 9122018small.jpg

Last edited:

Fiona

Visit site
Well done everybody, love the pics chippers and Jftd....

I had an awesome time at my lesson, so gutted that it's a one off...

It was inside so no pics but I have video.

How do I upload it?

Was going to put it on fb...

Fiona