Weekend plans?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
another week, another weekend...
anyone got any horsey plans?

More of the same here.
Have figured out our short arena freestyle so will get that videoed this weekend ready for entering. and do the Week 4 Virtual clinic.

Need to sort out the paddock down at the maternity wing and make preparations for move-in day. Salty is getting pestered by Millie now, she seems to spend a lot of time just making her walk round the field so I think she'll be ready for some peace. I wonder what that's about. Normally they get on pretty well provided everyone acknowledges Millie's seniority.

Prob attack some more fencing at the main field too. And must ride Darcy!! :oops:

Hot Kira after yesterday's exertions (very good girl, hopefully the Spring Grumps are over)

93871441_3217912041553617_7201746740402192384_o.jpg

Wheels

Visit site
Need to do a bit of spot spraying, got a lot of docks springing up in a couple of the smaller paddocks. Also need to do some more arena levelling - nearly there now, hopefully another couple of weekends will see it completed.

Virtual clinic week 4 with M

The retired horse and 2 shetlands are moulting heavily so will all get a brush :)

Sprat

Visit site
Hoping for some continued sunshine for a nice hack on Saturday morning, then I'll have a crack at the virtual clinic week 4 on Sunday.

Aside from that, I will be ignoring all of the cleaning that needs doing in my house and sunning myself in the garden with something chilled in my hand I hope

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I shall mostly be practising my non dripping of creosote with a little bit of wielding (possibly) of shears at some rude brambles. A few random ragwort rosettes to be yanked out in passing.
In between will be pootling on B and possibly throw some soapy water at the tinies.

I read that as 'throw some soapy water at the tinnies' and couldn't work out why you were washing cans of beer ... I briefly wondered if this was some Covoid-19 precaution?! :D

I'm hacking around the farm Friday evening, doing my best to film a schooling session for a virtual lesson on Saturday and then hacking around the farm again Sunday.

Hoping the weather stays as nice as it is now!

Sheep

Visit site
That's great sheep - is your fitter still working or did you get from somewhere else?

I got it elsewhere - ordered it online. It's essentially the dressage model of our jump saddle so I am hopeful it will suit! The profile is very similar. It's older but in very good nick. The flocking etc seems to be in good order too, nice and uniform and no lumpy bits, so everything crossed for the try-on later...... but if any doubt will just hold fire until fitter is working again.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I read that as 'throw some soapy water at the tinnies' and couldn't work out why you were washing cans of beer ... I briefly wondered if this was some Covoid-19 precaution?! :D
???
The 2 x mini ponies are wilting in this heat despite daily attacks on their shaggy coats, definitely in need of a good scrub ☺

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
My weekend started today with a lovely long hack in the sunshine. I altered DP’s boots so he had no excuse for stopping although I did allow him to have a graze on the cow parsley on the way home so he cooled off a bit. The ground has gone from soggy to rock hard in a few weeks but we found two places to have a bit of a canter which we both enjoyed, him because he could really open up and me because he didn’t buck once ?

Ambers Echo

Visit site
Ooh happy new saddle day, Sheep.
Enjoy week 4 of the reinainf and the dressage tests.

I rode Dolly today after Katie had finisihed. Just 10 minutes. Get my horsey fix. Poor Dolly she is now being ridden by all 3 of us! Izzy whenever her arm feels ok. Katie regularly. And now me too! She is very lovely to ride. I think when Katie gives up/leaves home I'll keep her for myself!

Anyway weekend plans are ..... Dolly stealing, Amber pampering, Equine Masterclass watching and Dressage Rider Training workouts.

Michen

Visit site
Just riding Bog around the yard. Added some tack in the form of bridle this time ;) saddle needs its gullet changed.

I bloody love this horse. So at home on him and he seemed genuinely delighted to be ridden. Can’t wait to get him out hacking when flood puddle eventually dries up.
14837F67-D02A-4287-963A-5A69EF9B2755.jpeg7E658651-8152-43BE-82B7-A2F625B30E3C.jpeg7E658651-8152-43BE-82B7-A2F625B30E3C.jpeg

Sheep

Visit site
Fab photos Michen!

Anyone want to help me decide on girth sizing for saddle? Horse is in a 52” girth day to day and Google suggested going approx 20” shorter for dressage girth. I actually already have a 28” short girth anyway so used this for test purposes last night. Now thinking the 32” girth might be too big. How does this look? It’s even on both sides.

CC2CB6E1-FB81-48C6-896E-896F05F71D41.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
Looks ok I think, buckles are out of the elbows. My only concern would be if the horse gets fatter then it will be in the elbows. With a 32 you've not much space for any weight loss though. Maybe in an ideal world a 30 would be better but I think you're ok as is - no expert though

milliepops

Visit site
are you getting another the same design or different? just as that one seems to be sitting a bit squiffy. If the new one sits straighter/not pulled towards the elbows then I think a 30" would be OK and give you a bit of leeway if he loses condition.

Sheep

Visit site
are you getting another the same design or different? just as that one seems to be sitting a bit squiffy. If the new one sits straighter/not pulled towards the elbows then I think a 30" would be OK and give you a bit of leeway if he loses condition.

Thanks MP! New girth is different, it’s a prolite one - we have the long one for him already and he seems to like it. Will have a quick look at the 32” when it arrives but suspect it’ll be going back to be exchanged for a 30!

milliepops

Visit site
ah yeah. The prolites seem to sit nicely back when they suit a horse so you will have plenty of clearance then.

Sheep

Visit site
Thanks MP, really appreciate your help!
I've had that other girth for years and used it about 4 times, always holding out hope I might have a use for it... should probably just sell it tbh!

SEL

Visit site
My weekend is going to be around tying myself in knots with electric fencing. There are boy horses at the bottom of our field and in order to flirt with them it is necessary to crash through an enormous pile of nettles, duck under the broken willow tree and clamber through ancient broken fencing - all of which is supposed to provide a natural field barrier. Natural field barrier vs mare in season? Hmmmm.

She was plastered in nettle stings last night so got zapped with piriton and I'm hunting out tape and the energiser.

If the hives go down then I might actually be able to put a saddle on her - although I'm sure she'll come up with another reason for a sick note. I think she's heard of this furloughing scheme and wants to apply.

IrishMilo

Visit site
I plan to revamp the yard jumps by doing some DIY on them. If anyone has any colour ideas it would be much appreciated. I'm pretty boring when it comes to things like this!

milliepops

Visit site
I plan to revamp the yard jumps by doing some DIY on them. If anyone has any colour ideas it would be much appreciated. I'm pretty boring when it comes to things like this!
what colours have you got available? On poles I used to like mixing 3 colours like red with black and white, so long stripe of red , then hoop of white, slightly wider hoop of black, hoop white, then long strip of red again, you can repeat that in 3s or 5s

bit smarter than just colour and white.

White wings always look nice to me, like old fashioned showjumping rings, but you can add colour on the infils if they have them.

one similar example (scuse the punyness, this was Kira's first ever jump :p)
11149404_981108798567297_8991746336284900124_n.jpg

Trinket12

Visit site
No riding, but have been helping out at the barn as they're on bare bones staff. Looks like I'll be mucking out tomorrow, which means I get out of the house, the husband gets a break from me and I can go see her Ladyship when I'm done and take her for a little walk :)

She had her last leg zappy thing yesterday, so they'll be back in 2 weeks for ultrasound and then work out next steps in the re-hab. The YO is trying to figure out a safe, social distancing plan so owners can have 2 visits a week for 2 hours, so hoping that will coincide with the vet visit.

Wheels

Visit site
Really enjoying reconnecting with a bit of groundwork and in hand. Up until a few weeks ago we were hacking twice a week, since we are not doing that at the min I didnt want to just do another 2 days ridden schooling so I've swapped the hacking days for lunging, in hand work and groundwork.

Tonight we lunged to warm up and we did lots of transitions, changes of rein in trot and a bit of shoulder in on a circle. Then we did some in hand work on the renvers and travers in straight lines changing between 3 and 4 tracks and back again. A bit of backing up to walk to finish.

Here is afterwards telling his friend winston what he'd been up to :) 20200424_201717.jpg

Leo Walker

Visit site
Another weekend, another round of trailer refurbing. I really have had enough now. Once the outside painting is done there's just some little bits and pieces, but it quite often feels like it will never be finished, It currently looks like this on one side, the other side is black and big patches of auto filler. I've never done so much sanding and painting in my life!

94633330_10157484441318667_1318214854296731648_n.jpg

racebuddy

Visit site
My horsebox living is finally complete courtsey of my dad , horse still in work as eventing fit so not fair to drop him , just about keeping him sane during lockdown, done laods of walking : fitness work me i mean ??? i am planning on chillling in the garden before my days of 13 hour shifts start again xx