Weekend :)

Michen

Visit site
Such a lovely frost this morning!! I love this weather. Boggle was schooled yesterday over some poles to get him strengthened up albiet mainly in walk and I rode and led this morning. Bear was a cheeky little g**, nipping at either me or Boggle at every opportunity with a glint in his eye. He does it with his ears pricked forward- even worse!

Have a good weekend all!

A536474B-2A8C-4B72-82B9-88C6BD252537.jpegF68602C5-5D6D-424A-B9E3-C378F96DC44B.jpeg

Roxylola

Visit site
Bear is a cheery little monkey isnt he, he knows full well hes being a pest and pushing his luck but it amuses him so he does it anyway ?
Been hacking this week, and a lesson planned for Saturday where hopefully he'll be a bit less grumpy and tight than he was last week. Discovered his latest mallanders flare up is due to introducing a bit of sugar beet so we've cut that right out and his legs are settling again thankfully. He gets really sore and cranky with it. So back to the drawing board for something ulcer friendly, pssm (or other unknown muscular myopathy helped by eliminating sugar and adding vitamin e and magnesium) that adds a little sparkle, doesnt make him fat and also doesnt trigger scabby legs. Oh and doesnt result in excess "bounce" ?

Michen

Visit site
Bear is a cheery little monkey isnt he, he knows full well hes being a pest and pushing his luck but it amuses him so he does it anyway ?
Been hacking this week, and a lesson planned for Saturday where hopefully he'll be a bit less grumpy and tight than he was last week. Discovered his latest mallanders flare up is due to introducing a bit of sugar beet so we've cut that right out and his legs are settling again thankfully. He gets really sore and cranky with it. So back to the drawing board for something ulcer friendly, pssm (or other unknown muscular myopathy helped by eliminating sugar and adding vitamin e and magnesium) that adds a little sparkle, doesnt make him fat and also doesnt trigger scabby legs. Oh and doesnt result in excess "bounce" ?

He’s sooooo cheeky but you do have to be careful about how and when to tell him off as sometimes he gets a proper chin wobble on ?

How about saracens releve (but soaked- extensively!)

Roxylola

Visit site
That's a possibility, I think ease and excel is another I've toyed with. Tbh, I may just do without the sparkle. I'll have to investigate getting some samples if I do get anything - none of the stuff suitable is cheap and the beet produced a reaction in less than a week so I should know pretty quickly

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I am not familiar with pssm diet but what about micronised linseed or oats. Or pink mash?

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Got a lesson tomorrow on one tomorrow and might squeeze in one on the other horse as well if she has time.

Weekend I might just do walk hacks with oh and the dog, it's just manic round here with cyclists and just people on the weekend, and they tend to use the foot path next to the menage a lot so schooling gets a bit hairy!

Last weekend of lockdown yay:)

Chippers1

Visit site
Crying into my various horsey bills this weekend for me :D
Buzz has keratitis in one of his eyes so is on daily steroid eyedrops (awaiting vet bill for that...) and today I thought I would start up my horsebox, turned it on and noticed an odd light on the dashboard so whilst I sat googling I missed that the cab was filling with smoke!
Rushed out but luckily no actual flames....
Having just spent over a grand getting it through it's MOT 2 months ago i'm really very annoyed. I guess I should be pleased we're still in lockdown (and then will be tier 3) so can't go out much.

Might hack Buzz out if his eye is looking clearer, that will cheer me up at least.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Certainly toying with linseed - flipping cob is harder to feed than my sports horse ever was! He turns his nose up at stuff he doesnt fancy as well!

I know what that its like both of my Arabs are really fussy with new stuff I have to introduce things in tiny amounts and add mint essence or they won't eat it.

scats

Visit site
I’m like a broken record at the moment but working tomorrow and Saturday and then catching up on housework Sunday. I need to bring the guinea pigs in this weekend for winter too.

The girls holiday has stretched another week. I’ve been too knackered to even think about riding. Must get back on this weekend!

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Third lesson with share horse on Sunday hopefully. I am feeling a bit apprehensive as new instructor really has pushed me in the first couple of lessons (one handed cantering anyone? :D), but I've got a hunch if I stick with it my riding and confidence will benefit a lot. Last week I sort of reached my capacity of challenges and wimped out of a canter exercise because share horse saw the ground poles and got a bit excited - it was silly really and I do now regret not riding through it but at the time I'd got the fear in me and getting the exercise done in trot was enough.

We hacked out yesterday and I'm trying to apply my learning in the lessons while we are out and about (sorry S, no more just plodding along all the time!) - I think it's working :D

j1ffy

Visit site
My trainer is coming over to give us a lesson today, which I'm really looking forward to. We might school again tomorrow to work on any 'homework' and maybe get the yard's apprentice on Danny to see how he is with a non-dressagey person on him in the school (the apprentice often hacks him but hasn't ridden him in the school, and I want to see how Danny reacts in preparation for selling next Spring). Then a mooch-y hack on Sunday!

Can't wait for full lockdown to end, we're planning an 'away' lesson and competition next Weekend :D

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Weaning! eeek!

last couple of weeks have been a bit stressful approaching this point ,mainly due to frustration around having such limited facilities at the mo, it always being dark, and not being able to engage OH in helping me, I can't complain really as his support (and cooperation!) makes all this possible but there are some days where I could really just do with a hand :p anyway, he's agreed to help with moving Salty out of the nursery so that's what counts, as I've managed everything else myself but this time can't do without another person.

Introduction of weaning buddy has gone pretty well, he has come via a tremendously helpful HHOer who set it all up (out yourself if you want to ;) ) and is a very sweet young horse that will hopefully take Salty's place without too much drama :)

wish us luck :oops::D

128108208_3845090752169073_7800108192701768892_o.jpg

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
OH no Chippers! What a nightmare.
Good luck MP.
Have fun, everyone out and about.

I'm hacking and schooling mainly. I want to jump because my jumping confidence disappears rapidly unless I keep doing it and having just got it back I am keen to keep it! but it's not really what Toby needs so that's a bit of a dilemma. Might hire a farm ride after 2nd Dec and combine hacking and jumping....

Michen

Visit site
Bit of trot work over some poles for Boggle this morning. Most of what we are doing is in walk with the odd bit of trot. He is behaving so much better now he’s doing a little brain work in the school, it’s not really what I wanted to do until early next year but he was becoming more and more more ridiculous to hack and after a particular one where in an hour I don’t believe he did more than a few strides of walk I had a frank conversation with my vet. I’m really looking forward to picking him back up properly in February and aiming for some spring events although he will get scanned before that happens just to check all is as good as it was several months ago.

Ps clearly we are both rusty, it’s hard to slow the trot down with him without shutting down everything else.. hopefully poles will strengthen him up over winter after 10 months of only really having his head in the air ?

oldie48

Visit site
Chippers, I sold my old 3.5 to someone who used it to transport therapy llamas, two years later it caught fire with the llamas in it, fortunately they were got out OK but lorry was a write off. It was an electrical fault.
Rose continues to be kept very busy despite my incapacity and sharer is doing a fab job, I am sooooo lucky! A couple of clips. First is from her lesson with Peter Storr, sharer has been working on getting Rose properly forward and in a more advanced outline, she has worked a lot on keeping her up and through in the transitions and Peter has been really helpful. Rose has a big walk and in an upward trans to trot she will try to lengthen and slow the walk shortly before she trots, collecting the walk and quickening the hindleg makes a huge difference. First clip is canter half pass, quality of canter has improved and she is able to collect more easily and sustain it now she is sronger. The second clip is from a some pole work. I think you can see that she's stronger and there's a nice walk to canter trans at the begining. She was hacked out today and she's being schooled over the weekend. https://studio.youtube.com/video/snURdzuZGh0/edit

Not sure I've done this properly, ugh I am so hopeless at times!

Chippers1

Visit site
Chippers, I sold my old 3.5 to someone who used it to transport therapy llamas, two years later it caught fire with the llamas in it, fortunately they were got out OK but lorry was a write off. It was an electrical fault.

That's terrifying! I'm glad mine happened when it was sat on the yard. I'm pretty sure (from some extensive googling :D) that it's the alternator that's gone as the battery and stop lights came on before an electrical burning smell - most people that appears to be alternator or a small part in the alternator. Will get it checked out when I get a chance though.

Pippity

Visit site
Blue's had a bit of an upset tummy the past few days, resulting in some misbehaviour under saddle. I eventually got worried enough to call the vet out and the verdict is either gas from changing grazing into a very wet field with a lot more to eat, or ulcers. She had bute and buscopan yesterday, to see if it would make her more comfortable, and if she hasn't improved in a few days she's to go in for scoping.

I tried to walk her on the lunge this evening to see how she was doing and she was certainly feeling full of beans. (Yes, I know I should have been wearing a helmet. I remembered that when her back leg came a bit too close to my head for comfort.)

Rare video of her with all four feet (mostly) on the ground, even if there wasn't as much walk as I was aiming for:

Anyway, she's having Saturday off (other than a bath) and she's having a slow hack on Sunday, followed by my third attempt at clipping - this one in daylight! Hopefully the battery pack for my clippers will have arrived by then.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
Bit of trot work over some poles for Boggle this morning. Most of what we are doing is in walk with the odd bit of trot. He is behaving so much better now he’s doing a little brain work in the school, it’s not really what I wanted to do until early next year but he was becoming more and more more ridiculous to hack and after a particular one where in an hour I don’t believe he did more than a few strides of walk I had a frank conversation with my vet. I’m really looking forward to picking him back up properly in February and aiming for some spring events although he will get scanned before that happens just to check all is as good as it was several months ago.

Ps clearly we are both rusty, it’s hard to slow the trot down with him without shutting down everything else.. hopefully poles will strengthen him up over winter after 10 months of only really having his head in the air ?

I remember having the same trot issue with my connie. lots of strengthening and suppling and we now have a respectable trot speed that doesn’t give me a stitch ?

ihatework

Visit site
Weaning! eeek!

last couple of weeks have been a bit stressful approaching this point ,mainly due to frustration around having such limited facilities at the mo, it always being dark, and not being able to engage OH in helping me, I can't complain really as his support (and cooperation!) makes all this possible but there are some days where I could really just do with a hand :p anyway, he's agreed to help with moving Salty out of the nursery so that's what counts, as I've managed everything else myself but this time can't do without another person.

Introduction of weaning buddy has gone pretty well, he has come via a tremendously helpful HHOer who set it all up (out yourself if you want to ;) ) and is a very sweet young horse that will hopefully take Salty's place without too much drama :)

wish us luck :oops::D

128108208_3845090752169073_7800108192701768892_o.jpg

He’s one of those soft horses that has such a kind soul that everyone feels quite protective of him! So I’m glad he will have the chance to shine ?

TheHairyOne

Visit site
Its my birthday so due to having nothing else to do I booked in 2 lessons! Friday was flatwork, which had a breakthrough moment in trying to deal with the left shoulder popped out just a little bit in every single canter transtion. Having done that had some fabulous work.

Today horse thought was much more fun and did technical jumping with tight lines and many, many lead changes over fences. He was just fab and I had a great ride!

20201128_181224.jpg

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
He’s one of those soft horses that has such a kind soul that everyone feels quite protective of him! So I’m glad he will have the chance to shine ?
he is a right softy, though he didn't appreciate Hera attempting to nurse from him :oops::eek: I think he's got a lovely nature though and will hopefully teach her how to horse and be up for a bit of fun too.

anyway, we are weaned! Salty didn't look back, and barely a peep from Hera so... so far, so good.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Gorgeous pictures Michen!

Oldie - this is the correct link for your non-pole video..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snURdzuZGh0 Rose is looking so strong these days - you should be really pleased.

j1ffy - I have a lesson just before you next Friday, and will be stewarding/writing on Saturday so we will be able to catch up briefly, socially distanced of course!

Maddie and I have had a really busy week as she came home on Monday. I had intended to bring her home last week, but delayed it as we ended up having to let our little old pony go, and I didn't think it fair to bring her home, then lose him. She has been fab, and has earned a relatively lazy weekend, although I may do something with her tomorrow. I posted a few photos and video clips here if anyone is interested..... https://forums.horseandhound.co.uk/threads/meet-marvellous-maddie.796971/page-3

MP - lovely to see that Salty has done her job and returned to the other girls, and looking forward to seeing how Hera and her new friend get on.

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Its my birthday so due to having nothing else to do I booked in 2 lessons! Friday was flatwork, which had a breakthrough moment in trying to deal with the left shoulder popped out just a little bit in every single canter transtion. Having done that had some fabulous work.

Today horse thought was much more fun and did technical jumping with tight lines and many, many lead changes over fences. He was just fab and I had a great ride!

View attachment 59946

Happy birthday! Fab pic :D

milliepops I am very looking forward to more pics/vids of those two!