Weekends Racing - Tiger Roll

Clodagh

Visit site
Well, should he retire? I say yes but then remember Sprinter Sacre storming home in his final Champion Chase.
He looked stressed and miserable throughout - but am I anthropomorphising?

Watching a bit of Sky racing on Friday there was the awful fall at Newcastle where the young jockey was knocked out and tangled up in the reins, does anyone know how he is? Jonathan Bewley I think.

How amazing was Coole Cody today? Love Tom O'Brien, he's got a sticky bum thats for sure.

And we still have tomorrow to look forward to!

Visit site
Tiger Roll has ran badly on the odd occasion before so I would be tempted to give him one more spin if his vet check next week is A-Ok and take it from there.

What annoyed me most was Racing Post - they put story after story up about Tiger Roll, the article for the Cross Country Chase entitled "Kingswell Theatre shock 22/1 Winner" had a picture of Tiger Roll on it! Not wee Thomas (Kingswell Theatre, we had him in his younger days as he isn't the biggest either) Thomas galloped and jumped them all into submission, he lead them a merry dance so it should be his picture on the article! Also in that race the grey that came 2nd looked like he had a whale of time over those fences! I'd give him another place shout at Cheltenham Festival! Potter's Corner needs far softer ground, his jumping wasn't the best but he gallops all day.

I didnt watch any of the racing from Newcastle, I even totally forgot we had runners there til much later in the evening...

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I'd retire him, he's been on the go since he was 4 and had his bone injury as well, so has had a lot of wear and tear, perhaps again the saying one too many times to the well, it would be awful if they have "one more go" and he broke down. You have risks as well any time with training he could get hurt then too.

Its not like he has to just go rot in a field there are plenty of new jobs he can do. You also have a responsibility as an owner of a horse that has caught the publics attention, if he breaks down on course you'll get a shed load more flack not that it makes the less able horses any less important

Unfortunately I don't believe O Leary when he says we will retire him if he runs badly again, he was supposed to retire him after he won the xc claiming he wouldn't run him in the national due to the amount of weight not being fair on him. Unfortunately I think all he cares about is the 3rd Grand National, and publicity, rather than the horses best interests. Tiger Roll is a tool to him to get the publicity.

I loved the jockey who came 3rd in one of the races on ITV4 today, i can't remember the horses name, they interviewed him before the race and he was hilarious, great for TV. Not bad on the eye either... such a change from some of the more dour ones...
Luke on ITV is also brilliant, even OH who is non horsey loves his enthusiasm when he's presenting you can tell he genuinely loves being around the horses, I was laughing at him taking on one of the xc fences.

I like how the Scudamores are considering retiring Kingswell Theatre it would be lovely for him to go out safe with a win, like they say he is 11.

Frodon is one I would not mind a jump on and I don't do jumping!

Last edited:

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Really hope they call it a day with poor Tiger now, unfortunately the owner is greedy and won't turn down the chance of a 3rd Grand National, even if its not in Tiger's best interest

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
At least he came home. The number of dead horses this weekend is disgraceful.

Tiger Roll is too slow to hurdle and today would have been part of his training plan, but he certainly looks like he is not in love with racing anymore.

Agree the number of fatalities this weekend has been shocking, several broken back legs surely it warrants an investigation?

Apparently its "all systems go for Cheltenham" for Tiger. Wish they'd just retire him before he's added to the fatalities

Orangehorse

Visit site
I'm on a Facebook group where this was discussed at length and someone said that the ones that had broken legs all had very similar breeding.

Visit site
I didn't watch any racing this weekend. I'm not actually hugely fussed for watching it much, hell I barely watch the horses I lead up!

I did go back and watch Tiger Roll's race though. He ran well enough for 2 miles in ground he hates but then he switched off when beaten and gave up. To me that suggests his heart hasn't got the fight in it anymore. And I don't think Cheltenham will perk him up. They will go regardless but I do hope if he is a mental no show again they call time on his career and parade him in the Previous Winners Parade at Aintree in April.

McGrools

Visit site
I'm on a Facebook group where this was discussed at length and someone said that the ones that had broken legs all had very similar breeding.

Interesting.. orange horse do you mind letting me in on the name of the facebook group? I would like to see this convo.. x

Visit site
Surprised no one has mentioned Hugh Morgan’s win after having to ride 3 miles with no stirrups, that was some feat ! I can’t remember seeing anyone else do that or even attempt it

He clearly spent a lot of his childhood rallying ponies about bareback to be able to jump nearly 20 chase fences with no irons ??

We also had great success in Saudi Arabia with 2 major wins. Willie Mullins and Holly Doyle won one of the big races and Mishriff the biggest race of the weekend.

Yeah he has clearly ridden a lot without stirrups, he is neat, tidy and secure considering he doesn't have a big saddle holding him in!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3812400995515994

Last edited:

poiuytrewq

Visit site
He clearly spent a lot of his childhood rallying ponies about bareback to be able to jump nearly 20 chase fences with no irons ??

We also had great success in Saudi Arabia with 2 major wins. Willie Mullins and Holly Doyle won one of the big races and Mishriff the biggest race of the weekend.

Yeah he has clearly ridden a lot without stirrups, he is neat, tidy and secure considering he doesn't have a big saddle holding him in!

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=3812400995515994
I mean, pretty sure I could have done that.... ?

Seriously well ridden!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
https://www.racingpost.com/news/lat...wn-outing-over-hot-race-at-punchestown/485641

Getting sick of hearing about them to be honest!!

Just retire the horse and be done with it, before something happens to him why flog him round races he can't do well in to prove some petty point...

Why wasn't more investigation done after that race at Aintree? Putting him in a race he apparently had no chance in, then barely trying...

It's not like he has to go stand in a field there's plenty of other jobs he can do. Greedy self centred owners!

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
Poor s*d sounds like his greedy trainer and even greedier owner don't give a stuff about his welfare, and only care about the grand national, and its being considered again as the handicapper has given in to his owners pathetic posturing of running him in races he has absolutely no chance in.

Elliot, who I also can't stand is saying how he's not finished yet. I thought the cross country was supposed to be his final hoorah.... yeah course not....

I think the only way he will get to be "finished" will be through being taken off the course, dead.

Unfortunately I bet he wins and his awful connections get what they want.

https://www.racingtv.com/news/2022-...IW_RGbOamdd7HM2AYDnNaigNoMRzrY-Gcxd9Ww1Pftuyc

Velcrobum

Visit site
If they were to run him at that weight there'd be loads of opprobrium for abusing the horse. They can't please anyone, so it seems.
They are still running him in the XC race at Cheltenham Festival the cynic in me thinks that might have been the plan all along. I wonder what weight Mr O'Leary thinks would be fair and I question if it is fair to think about running a 12 year old in the National. The trainer did not think the weight was unfair so who knows!!

Clodagh

Visit site
It’s ok, they’ll be able to sell him to a slaughter house when he’s done, like their others. There’s a few quid in him yet. ?

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Stupid question from a non racing person, if a 16 year old can win Badminton carrying 11 stone 11 lbs, why can't a12 year old run in the National carrying 11 stone 11 lbs? Is 12 really that old? I get the point it c/would stop him winning, but it's being written about as an unreasonable ask of a horse to even run it.