Weeping cut

Lightning

Visit site
Horse decides to get just below back of fetlock tangled up in wire and basically lacerate itself. She's been in a stable for 2 weeks but was turnt out at the weekend. The cut and leg blew up after a couple of days initially and she was put onto a course of antibiotics. The swelling went back down her leg and a lot of puss and gunk started coming out of the cut itself.

She is now out in the field and the gunk has stopped. we are putting ointment on it to stop any proud flesh developing. But last night when it was cleaned and hosed off it is now bleeding. Not a lot but because the site is heeling its like when you have a scab on you and it is heeling but the scab bleeds worse than the initial injury. There is also a small amount of heat in the fetlock, no swelling and no lameness.

I am not majorly concerned but any ideas of what to do/put on her. Should we bandage it to keep any mud out or just leave open to heel naturally? Is it likely to flare up again?

Sparklet

Visit site
Its difficult to judge without seeing the condition of the wound - you are probably better getting your vet out for another look.

I wouldnt want mud to enter an open wound though.

Morrigan_Lady

www.teamterrellshowjumping.co.uk

Maybe pop a poltice on it, incase some dirt has got in it.
Id definatly bandage in the field, to keep it clean.
Cold hose and keep an eye on it. If its still dodgy at the weekend, Id call the vet. Hope that helps. Ive had lots of experience with accident prone youngsters and I cant afford to ring the vet all the time!!
frown.gif