Weighing up the risks and benefits of surgery dilemma

foxy1

Visit site
I'm in a dilemma over whether or not to have an operation on my much loved 3 year old.

He has a cist that has grown by his scrotum which leaks fluid and results in a lump about the size of a large plum. It doesn't cause him any pain or other problems and the vet tells me it's largly cosmetic as long as it stays as it is but it's possible that further down the line it may get larger and cause problems.

I have booked to have it removed but I am wondering if I'm doing the right thing. He will have to have a general anaesthetic which carries a 1 in 400 chance of death (not including colics) on top of which there is risk of serious injury while being put under/ during recovery and he will have to stay hospitalised for 4 days in case he colics.
It all seems an awful lot of risk for a largely cosmetic lump. He is insured, if he weren't I know I wouldn't be doing it I would wait and see, but now it's been seen I only have a few months to claim (first spotted it a few months ago) .
If I ever wanted to sell him, it would put any potential buyers off if left....

What would you do??

be positive

Visit site
I think what I would do is see if what sounds like a fairly minor op, in that a cyst is only likely to be mainly within the skin and not deep into tissue therefore relatively easy to remove, could be done standing as many procedures can be with far less risk for the horse and faster recovery time etc. I have never known horses having to remain hospitalised in case of colic after surgery, they may stay for further treatment or to monitor the condition but unless he has a high risk of colic due to where the op is, which seems unlikely I feel that staying in for so long when he could become stressed by being somewhere strange is not necessarily in his best interests.

As for the selling, yes it will put some people off, it may reduce his value to account for the fact that he will not be able to have it done later under insurance so they may want that reflected in the price.

foxy1

Visit site
Thanks for reply, I have asked if it can be done standing but because it is very high up in his groin inside his scrotum, it can't be done that way.
I was surprised how long he needs to stay in too, makes it all sound much more serious surgery than I first thought which is why I am wondering whether I am doing the right thing having it done.

mystiandsunny

Visit site
The only thing I would bear in mind before making that decision, is that your insurance will only pay out, for a year after the initial diagnosis. So if you don't have the op now, you'll likely have to pay for it yourself if you do ever decide to have it done.

foxy1

Visit site
Thanks, I guess what I'm grappling with is if that is a good enough reason to have potentially risky surgery

Wishful

Visit site
Has it been biopsied?

Lumps that might grow are generally worth dealing with before they involve something more complicated to remove.

Delicate region- would be tempted to remove and can see why the vets wouldn't want to do standing.

foxy1

Visit site
Thanks, you are probably right, it's better to get it gone.
I have an awful feeling of impending doom about the surgery though :(

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
If it may cause a risk/problem for him later on in life, surely it is the best for the horse?! You shouldn't question yourself when your doing the right thing for your horse.

PorkChop

Visit site
I think I would have the surgery, I am also surprised at how long he needs to stay in and I can sympathise why this is putting you off having the surgery.

AnnMarie2011

Visit site
My horse is in for a week after having surgery on Monday on his leg. Its purely 2 b on the safe side and to monitor them for painkillers, droppings and drinking water etc. I no how u feel cause i felt like it but they are in the best place :)

foxy1

Visit site
It may not cause him a problem in the future though. I think I am going to go ahead but with a heavy heart.