Weighing up yard compromises... turnout vs. facilities?

fuze

Visit site
WWYD?

Yard A) I've been on in the past. Turnout 24/7/365, decent hacking, offroad riding, 6 miles from home, but no school which makes exercising difficult in the winter (working full time).

Yard B) Good hacking, offroad riding, floodlit school, 3 miles from home, but stables for 6mths of the year overnight during winter.

Turnout vs. facilities... I don't know what to do? :confused3: Pone is a hardy cob who's happier out, and funds are limited. Both yards are the same price. I'm giving myself a headache, how do you choose?

Last edited:

Kallibear

Visit site
What, 24/7 stabling for 6months of the year?!?! No even a slimmest hope in hell! I'd class that as cruelty.

If it's overnight stabling with daily turnout over the winter it would be ok.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I wouldn't even consider a yard that meant my horse was stabled 24/7 for 6 months of the year.

It would have to be yard A or another yard altogether.

atropa

Visit site
Personally I would choose yard b as a floodlit school is very important to me in the winter and because my horse doesn't mind stabling at night for half the year.
It depends really on how important exercising through the winter is to you (is it an option for weekday hacking in the dark with a torch maybe?), if you think your horse will adjust to being in overnight and whether you can comfortably afford yard b.
ETA just seen the other comments, would NEVER consider a yard that didn't offer turn out at least during the day in winter

tinap

Visit site
What, 24/7 stabling for 6months of the year?!?! No even a slimmest hope in hell! I'd class that as cruelty.

If it's overnight stabling with daily turnout over the winter it would be ok.

This ^^ if Its no turnout at all theres no way I'd opt for there, although if just stabled overnight then thats exactly what I have & its actually a godsend when the fields are muddy & its rubbish weather :) xx

rascal

Visit site
I would choose turnout, especially as your horse is happier out. It should after all be about the welfare of the horse. I am another that wouldn't use a yard with no winter turnout. That's why I rent grazing with a shelter, then they have a choice.

Last edited:

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Do you mean 24/7 stabling at yard B or just overnight?

I would always go for turnout over facilities. The horse's needs come before mine and I wouldn't go for 24/7 stabling for 6 months if there was another yard that did provide daily turnout available.

starryeyed

Visit site
Not too clear from your post, but for me if it was stabling 24/7 for 6 months of the year then I wouldn't even consider it. However if it's just being stabled overnight with turnout during the day then I would go Yard B.

fuze

Visit site
Sorry!!! First post edited, I'm tired, that ready badly!

Yard B stables overnight during winter. There is daytime turnout year round. I'd never consider anywhere that stabled 24/7.

I'm aware that he wouldn't care if there's not a school (he'd probably be jumping for joy, actually...), but he is young and a school does come in handy - especially when I don't finish work until after dark.

glamourpuss

Visit site
why is everyone getting so outraged that the horses are stabled constantly for 6 months? If you read the OP they clearly say that yard B
"stables for 6mths of the year overnight during winter"
I read that as them only being in at night through winter...quite normal IMO

OP provided there is daily turnout through the winter I think that yard B is what I would go for :)

wallykissmas

Visit site
WWYD?

Yard A) I've been on in the past. Turnout 24/7/365, decent hacking, offroad riding, 6 miles from home, but no school which makes exercising difficult in the winter (working full time).

Yard B) Good hacking, offroad riding, floodlit school, 3 miles from home, but stables for 6mths of the year overnight during winter.

Turnout vs. facilities... I don't know what to do? :confused3: Pone is a hardy cob who's happier out, and funds are limited. Both yards are the same price. I'm giving myself a headache, how do you choose?

I would chose B , I could have mine out 24/7 but chose to bring them in the evenings during winter to save the ground and their legs in mud. Most yards I know of stated winter bring in from Oct to March.

Kallibear

Visit site
why is everyone getting so outraged that the horses are stabled constantly for 6 months? If you read the OP they clearly say that yard B

OP provided there is daily turnout through the winter I think that yard B is what I would go for :)
Not until 2min ago it didn't! The OP has edited and it previously sounded like it was 24/7 stabling over winter.

ETA : I'd go for B as long as it is actually daily turn out not 'when it doesn't snow/rain/get muddy' turnout.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site

Not until 2min ago it didn't! The OP has edited and it previously sounded like it was 24/7 stabling over winter.
As KB says - the OP originally stated 'stabled for six months.'

SO1

Visit site
From the first post it sounds like the stabling is just overnight during the winter with day time turnout.

If you are on a budget do the yards work out the same price if you include the extra costs for bedding and hay during the winter when your horse will be in at night? Will you ever need someone to help you catch in turn or turn out in the winter?

p87

Visit site
Turnout every time. I would never dream of keeping my horses somewhere where someone else dictates whether or not they get turnout and when, no matter how good they 'claim' their facilities and services are.

My boyfriend and I are looking at relocating in a couple of years, and unless one of us wins the lottery I will be going from a huge indoor barn with lovely big American style stables, sand school, tack room, hay/feed storage, solarium, hose, rug storage all under one roof and year round turnout to.... a field attached to the house with planning permission for stables if we are LUCKY. And because I will always have the say over my horses' care and well being I will be more than happy with that!

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Now you have edited your post and are clearer I would go for B which is practically the set up my horse has now. I don't even get the dilemma unless your horse is particularly unhappy being in.

nosenseofdirection

Visit site
I would probably go for B if your horse will tolerate being stabled overnight, and if (and this is a big if, in my experience) they are actually allowed out all day, every day whatever the weather.

Most yards that make you bring in at night over winter do this because they haven't actually got enough land, or it is heavy clay, and as soon as it starts to get really wet they restrict the turnout further or close the fields altogether. Talk to the other liveries first about what turnout you actually get in winter and go for A if you aren't happy with it.

miss_c

Visit site
Yard B definitely. I could have mine out 24/7/365 at my yard, but I bring in at night over winter to save the land. They get out every day and are quite happy.

eahotson

Visit site
I would say the yard with the school especially as its a bit nearer you.It will cost a bit more to keep your horse stabled overnight for 6months though and be more work.

xDundryx

Visit site
I moved yards recently which has nearly 30 acres in total of turnout (horses can be on any routine you want) my lad is out 24/7 in spring/summer/most of autumn and in at night during winter he is the happiest i've seen him, our last yard had a..maz..ing.. facilities but too many horses packed into too little grazing, no resting of fields either so they were constantly poached.. que one very unhappy grumpy and skinny horse last winter,New yard is a bit rough around the edges but has a school, lovely people and only 8 neddies in total.. Happy horse and happy owner. I'd go for whatever makes your horse happy :)

Magicmillbrook

Visit site
Tricky. I second finding out if daily winter turnout is daily, not just fair weather turnout. Also you must find out if you pay extra for bedding/hay in the winter. You should also consider the extra time to muck out, bed down etc on your daily routine before you make you final desision. Is the 24/7 turn out yard on good land or does it get poached in the winter?

chocolategirl

Visit site
WWYD?

Yard B for me but mine are in at night in winter usually and out 24/7 in summer anyway so it's what they are used to. In fact they are still out now as we are having a new stable block built and I can't sleep at night listening to the rain knowing they are outside! Silly I know but I just like them tucked up at night in foul weather. I couldn't manage without an arena either. Hope you make the right choice it's hard isn't it?!

rising_promise

Visit site
For me, that would be a no brainer- I would go for having an arena every time. Our yard stables overnight for 6 months over the Winter. The horses are all in the same routine, go out together and come in together and are perfectly happy. Daily turnout does mean exactly that though, whatever the weather. On the bad days they do only go out for a few hours but it's still everyday, even in the worst snow etc.

I agree with people wanting the best for the horse and I'm sure some horses (not all) would choose to be out 24/7 and couldn't give a damn if they have an arena to work in but hey, my horse doesn't work all the hours God sends to pay her bills and sacrifice other things to keep herself in haylage so she can live where I choose for her and if that means being in a stable overnight for the winter in exchange for having nice facilities then so be it :)