Weight Carrying Horse

EventingMum

Visit site
Can anyone point me in the right direction to find a weight carrying horse suitable for RDA? Said horse needs to be steady obviously but not lazy, we have a few riders ready to learn to canter but lack a suitable horse. Basically we are looking for a paragon of virtue who can be trained to stand for a rider to be hoisted on, not be fazed but involuntary movements from riders, happy to travel and take part in RDA competitions and generally be a nice person on the ground. We have some super smaller horses/ponies but need something with a greater weight carrying capacity so any ideas as to where to look would be gratefully received.

teapot

Visit site
Ahhhh the rare as rocking horse **** type - having the same issue for my group too! Have you checked the RDA loaning list?

I'd do a wanted advert personally and see if you get any interest from private homes. That's how we got our current group owned horse.

scotlass

Visit site
I have absolutely no personal involvement or knowledge .. but I love looking at the videos Blake McCusker posts on his Facebook page.

If someone knows anything to the contrary, my apologies.

rara007

Visit site
Maybe advertise on FB? We gifted a group we're 4 hours from exactly what you're looking for about 3 years ago just from a FB ad! He's been a total success and has given him a great purpose in his later years.

ihatework

Visit site
Might it be worth speaking to the police mounted unit?
They might be too big for what you want, but you may find they reject and rehome horses in training that don't make the grade for a reason that might not impact your requirements

teapot

Visit site
Might it be worth speaking to the police mounted unit?
They might be too big for what you want, but you may find they reject and rehome horses in training that don't make the grade for a reason that might not impact your requirements

Worth a shot but the trouble is a huge number of horses who go for mounted trials are owned by private homes. The Thames Valley demo at Blenheim last year talked about it as they prefer horses who have seen some life before joining.

Last edited:

SEL

Visit site
Our yard has taken a fair number of ex-polo ponies on board for working with autistic children. The Argentinian ones are often pretty chunky and have had some big blokes playing them. I'd say about 1/3 are quiet enough to take total novices - inc disabled adults.

We got the last 3 by randomly emailing polo clubs and asking - they were free

Last edited:

alainax

Visit site
Try an advert on the local horsey Facebook pages. The Glasgow and Ayrshire ones are huge. What about an ex riding school horse?

I don't know if they sell them, but blackstone clydesdales have some absolutely wonderful temperament horses. Very nice people too. If I was looking for a safe weight carrier they would be the first people I'd ask.

http://www.blackstoneclydesdales.co.uk/index.html

Last edited: