Weight gain after castration: truth or myth?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
So the youngsters are now both castrated. Bear was done a few weeks ago. He appears to have gained some weight although I didn't up his food. His exercise has gone down a bit as the vet claimed he had dysplasia: I'm not convinced :cool: I weighed his food and was surprised how much I was giving. I have dropped the amount to 2% of his breed standard ideal.

Anyway, is the weight gain after castration a myth?

Suelin

Visit site
I think that they probably are more relaxed following neutering. No hormonal concerns therefore one needs to up the exercise a bit and then there aren't any problems. That's what I have always done anyway and ours are all in cracking nick.

burtie

Visit site
I think it is simply down to the fact they are more relaxed and don't stress weight off thinking about ladies. If they are correctly exercised they won't gain weight.

My lab is actually more toned as I can now exercise him off lead with much more confidence as previously he would bother other females, this has all gone. He is still interested, friendly and pleasant to other dogs, but doesn't attempt to hump then at every opportunity.

CAYLA

Visit site
With hormone gone they are both dogs and bitches more prone to weight gain with he depletion of hormone, this is simple to maintain with less feed:) even if the exercise is restricted lessen food as much as you need. I have 10 dogs and not one is over weight, all come in as "ideal" on the works puter, except the shaggy lurch (he is under but very muscular) when there weighs are logged and their weight has remained the same practically to the kilo, I keep both my akita a rotti well under the recommended weight, which imo opinion would see them far to fat;) 3 of the males I have after castration are actually hard to keep weight on and are fed atleast double their daily needs just to hlep them keep the weight on, 1 being under weight. Depends on the dog but indeed hey aremore prone, but upside becm cheaper to feed:D

PucciNPoni

Visit site
They don't *have* to gain weight after neuteing. Mine stay pretty consistent with their weight (poodle often on the lean side). BT at the minute is a bit chubby, but he's ten - and greedy and often will clear away whatever the poodle leaves in his bowl if I'm not quick enough to lift the bowl. But if I am vigilant, he stays trim.

Spudlet

Visit site
If you feed them too much, they'll get fat. Just as before they were neutered! Keep an eye on them and cut back their rations if necessary. :)

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
In my experience no, they don;t gain weight. But I know many people who's dogs did, however....... the castration also comes at a time when they have just finished all their puppy growth, and also when the fascination with the puppy has waned. All the dogs/ bitches I have known who did gain weight were taken for less walks, played with less, and still fed the same amount as when they were going through their growth stages. Not hard to understand why they will put on weight then.

horsemadelsie

Visit site
Mine was always skinny as a puppy with ribs showing constantly, after she was spayed she gained a little weight and so now looks perfect- she is by no means fat but now we can only just see her ribs when she lies down and stretches, but not when she is walking around normally (can still feel them easily and vets always comment on how good and fit she looks) :) So it was true in her case, but for the better!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Youngsters are lean, Zak is skinny. I weighed their food the other day and was shamed at how much they got. Rations have been cut for the big dog who is a stocky, prone to wait gain type, even though he is not neutered.

Clodagh

Visit site
Our lab, lurcher and BT are all spayed bitches and all lean and trim. They have so little to eat its embarrassing though, the lab has one small mug of Skinners a day with the odd leftover thrown in. (And whatever gleanings she can find around the farm).

Echo24

Visit site
I generally find dogs do gain weight after castration. As some people have mentioned already, without the testosterone pumping through their body they're more relaxed and don't burn off as much. On a side note, depending on how old your dog is as well, I found that pups will gain weight as they're on a junior diet, which is usually rich and after their castration they're usually not growing as much and the food can encourage them to put weight on. As a result I've put some dogs onto adult food at the age of 10/11 months as they're almost fully grown and don't need all the richness. The adult diet is also a maintenance diet and usually won't have as much in it as a junior diet which is designed for growing pups. I always recommend keeping an eye on your pups weight and adjust feed accordingly. Every dog is different.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
I worked out their percentages tonight, 3% of 23kg = 690 g of raw. I sure as heck wasn't feeding them that! I've adjusted down to 2% = 460g, I'm going with 400g for now as they'll have shorter walks in the heat and Zak is restricted anyway til next week. My maths is crap, feel free to tell me I can't do percentages!

Dobiegirl

Visit site
Diesel is 37.5kg exactly the same as last year, I feed by eye and if I thinking he is putting on weight I drop the food, as he is a big dog I keep him on the light side as I worry about his hips etc. He is as daft and energetic as the day I first had him so no change in him whatsever.

weevil

Visit site
Sprocket has always been on the skinny side even since he was castrated but he is a very active little dog. Going by the feeding guidelines on his food he gets more per day than a dog his size should need but he is very difficult to get weight onto so I feed him enough to maintain his current condition (just been told by the vet that he is in perfect condition and to keep him lean and fit).

suzysparkle

Visit site
Well, every Dog or Bitch we have had done requires less food than those left entire. So I would say truth! And from speaking to many other people with many more dogs..they say the same.
According to our vet (and my eye!) many dogs are overweight anyway. I have to bite my tongue so often when I see fat dogs. Ours vary from about 17KG to 23KG and they are all ideal, but many think they look thin. They definately aren't, and we have 2 big boys, they are simply fit and healthy! We invested in parcel scales (same as dog scales but half the price) and keep a close eye on all of ours. It can be tricky to tell when they are blowing coats bt scales don't lie! A good alternative is weigh yourself then pick up the dog and weigh again to calculate. At annual booster time our vet always says he's thrilled to see some non overweight dogs.
Great to hear other people so aware of how quickly they put on weight. With dogs it happens so quickly!

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
This is how we weigh them, OH carries them onto the scale although I weighed Bear and Zak at the vet recently.

I laughed when a vet student complained that my childhood Keeshond wouldn't sit on the scales and his mentor told him to subtract his own weight and carry the dog, too funny!

galaxy

Visit site
Harley has definitly put ont weight, but I'm pleased about it!

He has always looked skinny, been able to see his ribs easily etc etc. No matter how much food he gets!

Since the op you can't see his ribs and I'm definitly not having to feed him all the extras he used to get. He is still far from fat though! lol!