Weight limit of Arab x Welsh

Julia0803

Visit site
Can you guys tell me what you would say is the most weight that a 14.3 arab x welsh could comfortably carry?

The pony is a veteran, but in good health. In very light work (hacking and schooling 2/3 times per week up to 30m), but is be coming back into light/medium work (hacking (30m-1hr) and schooling 5 days a week, with the odd bit of jumping and PC activities.

The rider is competent and balanced.

Thank you

Wiz201

Visit site
How much bone has he got on his legs? both breeds can be good weight carriers so I'd say up to 13 stone if rider is balanced?

Liath

Visit site
My veteran Arab x Welsh carried me happily up to about 11.5 stone... if I hit 12 stone I would get the sense that she was beginning to struggle... but that might just have been me feeling guilty about being heavier!

Crazycob06

Visit site
I would say about 13 stone. But height makes a difference too, my OH is 13 stone and I don't know about him riding my 15hh welsh. He's tall and unbalanced.prob could walk round on her.

Julia0803

Visit site
Thanks all.

I am 10.5 stone and 5'5, so by the replies here I should be alright. His owner said she felt up to 12st would be ok, but I just wanted to check.

I am used to riding cobs/ much chunkier natives around that height, and just wanted to check I wasn't going to squish him.

I rode him the other night and I thought before getting on him that I would feel miles too big for him, but I didn't actually. He has mainly been used as a teenagers jumping pony and now he is older and less whizzy a child's pony- and my 5ft, 5 stone son has been riding him, so I think that was playing on my mind.

He is quite fine, I will measure his bone, and take his weight with a weightape. I know they can be a bit iffy with regards to accuracy but i don't have access to weigh him properly. With regard to the weight I have read that, as a guide, up to 20% of their weight for a rider and tack is ok? And with the bone, how much would he need to be comfortable carrying me?

Thank you

Littlelegs

Visit site
The 20% rule is the absolute max for a fully fit horse, & is the max they found doesn't cause lasting damage. So for an unfit veteran I'd be thinking closer to a max of 15%, & weightapes aren't a reliable method.
It's really hard to judge, if he's a full up stonking sec d type build then I'd say you are well within his limits. If he is fine, & his height is due to 3" of muscle & he's showing his age then could be a lot less. Basically how longs a piece of string, it could be anything between 8stone & 12stone.

Nosey

Visit site
I'm sure you'll be fine...we had the same but bit smaller, just under 14-2 & he happily carried diff family members up to 11stone no problem.

Archiepoo

Visit site
i think if its a D then 12 stone + is fine .weve got an arab x secB (which is still a welsh) but shes very fine and light and really she would struggle with 10 stone. so it depends on what welsh its crossed with!

paulineh

Visit site
Both breeds will carry a good weight.

You say the horse is a veteran ,how old is it.

My pure bred Arab mare, 14hh and 23years old happily carries me (I weigh 10st) over distances of up to 100k (60 miles) Endurance Rides.

With a mixture of both breeds and a height of 14.3hh I would say that it would have no problem carrying you.

PandorasJar

Visit site
Without a photo or any more details it's hard to say. I've two full sisters (tb x Welsh d) one I'd happily put OH on and the other I need to lose weight before sitting on. So even the same sire and dam cross can be so different. Just to say there isn't a huge amount in the height either, unlike our tb x welshd from somewhere else who's a couple of hands bigger and built like a tank.