Weight limit...

HiPo'sHuman

Visit site
How does everyone determine a weight limit for their horse/pony? It's not something I've ever struggled with until mini pony came along. Going to hunt out my weight/height tape but I reckon she's 30-32", no idea on weight...maybe 150kg but that's a complete guess. Daughter is a tiny 6yo and weighs < 3 stone, pony seems totally happy with a little pootle around (bareback so no tack weight). The overall picture is ok and I'm really tempted to re start her and do a bit of ridden work, mainly just hacking and playing around, no serious schooling, lol. Do you think my daughter would get another year out of her?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Children don't usually get too heavy for the Shetlands, even the minis, but they just get too tall.
Long legs get caught up on pony legs, and when too tall they tend to fall off even more easily 😊
I usually reckon 4.5 stone on 30ins up to 33ins for walk trot canter, and 5stone max for gentle walking for 20 mins. As I mentioned before tho, it's usually the kids are too tall 1st.

Equi

Visit site
Yea totally. There are little sets you can get on eBay that have a saddle bridle and usually a matching halter and numnah. I’d nearly have a kid just to buy a set (saying all that I do have a saddle for my minis anyway but it was given to me lol)

Antw23uk

Visit site
Children don't usually get too heavy for the Shetlands, even the minis, but they just get too tall.
Long legs get caught up on pony legs, and when too tall they tend to fall off even more easily 😊
I usually reckon 4.5 stone on 30ins up to 33ins for walk trot canter, and 5stone max for gentle walking for 20 mins. As I mentioned before tho, it's usually the kids are too tall 1st.
This.