Weight Loss! Too late before winter? :(

scots

Visit site
try lots of grass, hay, grass nuts soaked and perhaps micronised linseed or rice bran for weight gain - all low sugar/starch so shouldnt blow brains and hopefully bulk him out.

keep him warm and dont do too much work til put some condition on.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Oh no! Poor Andy and poor You :(

If it were me, I'd swap the blue chip for micronised linseed, the chaff for something much much higher calorie but non heating (e.g. winergy conditioning) and the sugar beet for a conditioning mash (e.g. rowan barbary soft n soak).

Re: joint supps, can't recommend suppleaze gold enough. Out of all the joint supps we've tried this is the only one to have made a noticeable difference on a number of horses.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Hmm, loaning is a minefield isn't it? Still, he's not THAT bad and I reckon you've got him back in time. Lots of good grub and a sensible excercise routine should do it.

flirtygerty

Visit site
Another vote for micronised linseed, we got a mare from a rescue that was very ribby, but not as bad as Andy, within 12 weeks I had to put her on a diet, that was just giving her 2 scoops once a day, two small feeds a day, ad lib hay and good grass.
Don't worry he will come right, agree about rugging him though

SusieT

Visit site
2 weeks is unlikely to put the weight back on. What that horse really needs is 6 weeks turnout on good grass which I'm guessing is in short supply. What's the rush to ride him again if he's had a hard summer? Feed him up with plenty of forage and bulky feeds (i.e not mixes/pellets) and when he has put the weight on (and not just becuas ea few weeks have gone by) Let him rest, that's the best for any sore joints/weight issues. I would rug him as well, he has no reserves to use without getting even skinnier. I also think if you gave one month notice because you weren't happy with his care you sohuld have been down regularly to make sure this didn't happen and never mind notice periods if you weren't happy with his care, there's not a lot legally you would find done if you removed him!

**Vanner**

Visit site
God bless him poor little boy.

Linseed is wonderful stuff and I would definitely put him on it.

Re joint supplement, love equine America Kentucky supplement, really reasonable and works well for my boy.

Mince Pie

Visit site
I won't post the pics again but Readymash Extra had my hat rack Tb looking much better after 2 bags, along with micronised linseed and alpha a oil.

Missmac

Visit site
I took a tb on loan a month ago and although he is not as bad as you boy, his condition was not good and i was really worried about getting condition on him in time for the winter.

It was like feeding a bottomless pit for the first 2 weeks (have never seen a horse polish off a haynet that quick in my life - it was like he was inhaling it!) but that has now settled thank goodness!

He is currently on lucie nuts (simple systems) pura beet and fast fibre. I also supplement him with seaweed, brewers yeast and micronised linseed and he is looking so much better.

In terms of work i have just been hacking out and doing short sessions in the school and there is definitely muscles appearing and seeing as how i have just had to fork out for a bigger girth, his waistline must be heading in the right direction.

It can be done and although I've had 4 weeks on you im sure your boy will be fine in time for winter.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Thank you for helpful replies will get some linseed tomorrow, as you can tellhaving a sleepless night over it.

SusieT if you read my comments you'd see he is turned out good grass and well rugged. There is no rush to ride him once his ribs are covered I'll get on he'll never look better until he gets his topline back (if he ever gets it back)

Please don't turn this into a witch hunt like last time.

sarahann1

Visit site
Poor Andy :(

Can't really add anything to the already great advice you've had, but wanted to say I bought a lad who looked worse than him in late Oct and managed to get get weight on him over the winter. It was a slow slog but by the end of the winter he came out looking great. I fed high fibre cubes, sugar beet and alpha oil, twice a day with add lib haylage.

Good luck, and as has already been said, don't beat yourself up. You've got him back, onwards and upwards.

Goldenstar

Visit site
Thank you for helpful replies will get some linseed tomorrow, as you can tellhaving a sleepless night over it.

SusieT if you read my comments you'd see he is turned out good grass and well rugged. There is no rush to ride him once his ribs are covered I'll get on he'll never look better until he gets his topline back (if he ever gets it back)

Please don't turn this into a witch hunt like last time.

FWIW I think as soon as he's improving an little gentle work will do him a power of good long rienng up a slope if you can lunging ,for short times over poles .gentle hacking working gently in school will muscles him up,correctly the wieght in terms of lack of fat of the horse although not ideal will not harmed at all a lot of fit eventers will be carrying as little body fat but he has been using his muscle for energy as has just burnt it off a suitable exercise regime will help him to get back into shape and as long as he's taking in more calories than he used each day he will gain wieght.

Jericho

Visit site
Dear Lord, you had him looking so well before he went out on loan, you must feel like you are back at square one againn.

You have been here before so I won't give you any more feed advice as you know what works for Andy (but linseed is good and the supplease gold is a good joint supplement) but just wanted to say good luck, don't beat yourself up over it as you were going down to see him regularly and it is amazing how quickly they drop weight. Give him some time, tlc and the right food and he will back to looking wonderful once more.

Burmilla

Visit site
I bought a youngster off Gumtree, because I was horrified by the hopeless look in his eyes and the dreadful starved appearance overall. (no, I didn't need Another Horse but neither could I leave him with the wretch on the other end of the binder twine headcollar. ) he arrived on 2nd November 2010, looking even worse than his picture. He had ad lib hay, daily t/ o on good pasture, and three small feeds, mainly Alfa A, plus Top Spec balancer and Dengie pasture mix. After two months of general handling and groundwork we began walking out in hand, up and down the rolling hills that surround us. Another two months of hacking in walk and short amounts of trot. We have continued steady and slow, upping the excercise and variety. Two years later, he is fit as a flea, looks fabulous and does everything! Slow and steady seems to work wonders. I'm so sorry your loaner let your horse and you down so badly. I'm sure you will get him looking better - you've done it before, and will do so again! Good luck and lots of love and hugs.

Vickijay

Visit site
Poor boy. I used to say linseed too but had excellent results on feeding rice bran to my very sharp, thin mare. Saracen do one called equijewel and the put weight on really nicely, even better than linseed and it didn't make her silly either. Might be worth trying :)

rockysmum

Visit site
Nothing to add to the advice, I am sure you will sort him out.

No blame to you either BUT

What the hell were these people thinking. I have a 36 year old which would look just like your boy in the middle of winter if I didn't take drastic action. There can be no excuse with a younger horse.

How could they possibly think this was acceptable never mind to compete.

I really hope they come on here and read this thread. They are not fit to own horses. Thank god you were doing regular checks, what would he have looked like in another month.

The worrying thing is they are probably out there looking for another loan horse now.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Yep already looking for another :( I just can't believe it I was really looking forward to getting him home start hacking and having fun maybe do the odd ht before winter then in spring crack on with dressage but that isn't going to happen now.

I'm worried about starting gentle hacking as Andy doesn't do gentle hacking he does lots of jogging and spooking so I worry once I get weight on hell lose it again by being a knob out hacking :p

Goldenstar

Visit site
Yep already looking for another :( I just can't believe it I was really looking forward to getting him home start hacking and having fun maybe do the odd ht before winter then in spring crack on with dressage but that isn't going to happen now.

I'm worried about starting gentle hacking as Andy doesn't do gentle hacking he does lots of jogging and spooking so I worry once I get weight on hell lose it again by being a knob out hacking :p

Can you lead him from another horse often they are better that way.

BlairandAzria

Visit site
Oh gosh poor poor Andy :( Nothing to add to the advice already given (I too really rate linseed, its helped build up my little tbx) Luckily you have got him back now, and you'll get him right again :)

Kokopelli

Visit site
Both my boys are a bit silly to hack, Andy gets all joggy and spooky and Louie can be silly so not sure I'd feel happy doing ride and lead with them, might be a disaster waiting to happen. :p

He might be okay just leading in a bridle, but will probably still get joggy. Will be worth a try :)

nikCscott

Visit site
I feel terrible for you after all the care and effort you put into Andy when you 1st got him!

What were they thinking?!:eek::confused:

I'm sure now he's back with you he'll put on his lost weight and be happy again.

rara007

Visit site
Do you have a picture of him just before? I wonder how much was just down to stress of moving and them getting to grips with him and his feeding needs, he certainly doens't seem east to keep weight on :(

fidleyspromise

Visit site
Poor Andy, he's such a gorgeous boy, this is NOT your fault!

If I remember correctly he was a little underweight when you first got him, and you did an amazing job of building him up. I can imagine how awful it is to see him like this, but he is home now, and you did it once, so you can do it again.

Best wishes and hugs for you both :)

This is what I was going to say. I remember when you first got him, and you took your time getting him muscled up as he had been slightly underweight.

You've had good advice x best of luck and at least he's home now.

Firewell

Visit site
Poor you and poor Andy. I'm sure you will have him back up to weight in no time. The autumn flush of grass should be coming through for the next few weeks so hopefully that will help.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
He's home, he'll be fine. I was pleased you'd found him what you were sure was a perfect home, and am sorry they didn't look after him properly. Granted he looks a bit of a mess just now, but you know him well and he looks pretty lively in the video. I'd be far more worried if he was just standing about listlessly. I do think he is his own worst enemy, though!

Keep us updated.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Literally banging my head against a wall!!

They've already gone to look at new horses and apparently someone isn't surprised he's skinny as they always have very skinny ponies out hunting. :mad: Also they're telling everyone the reason I've had him back is because I have nothing to jump over the winter because Louie is rubbish (see recent thread in photobucket and you'll see that's just rubbish) not that they've been starving my poor boy :(