Weird habits - Whats your horses odd quirk??

indie1282

Visit site
I've just noticed that everytime I take hay to the field one of my horses pees before I put it in the field! As I am walking up with the wheelbarrow as soon as he sees me he pees straightaway 🤣 I've never noticed this before )- he doesn't do it in the stable if I bring a haynet...

I know of a few horses that pee before being fed so wondered if it was a 'thing'?

Shady

Visit site
Mine has to have a poo in the exact same spot every night before he comes in or before I ride him. I actually have to take him to it before I tack up if it's straight from the stable or he takes me there himself after i've jumped on.
He will also not leave his stable at all unless he has licked the edge of the door for 2 minutes( i've timed him) and had a cuddle. You can leave the door open but he won't come out , he'll just stretch his neck out until he can reach the door edge and if don't give him a kiss on his nose and a hug he won't come out even if he's completed his door licking. His previous owner said he had quirks but iv'e never come across this before, he's so funny and i don't really mind. I wish i could get it on film sometimes so you lot could see it!

BeckyFlowers

Visit site
My now-deceased mare would always wee or poo when I got to the paddock and called her, she would start walking towards me then stop and lighten the load. My Welsh cob will drink my tea out of the mug - he will bug me and bug me if I have a cuppa until I relent and give him the last third. Only my Earl Grey tea though - tried him with remains of farrier's builders brew with milk once and he wasn't having any of it.

tankgirl1

Visit site
Over several different yards with different water sources, my mare will not always, but 90% of the time go straight for a drink when I turn her out, even if she's just had a drink in the stable. She also used to have set places to poo when we used to ride on the road - one was right outside a lovely older chaps house, and he would always come and pick it up for his roses.

Bays&Greys

Visit site
My now-deceased mare would always wee or poo when I got to the paddock and called her, she would start walking towards me then stop and lighten the load. My Welsh cob will drink my tea out of the mug - he will bug me and bug me if I have a cuppa until I relent and give him the last third. Only my Earl Grey tea though - tried him with remains of farrier's builders brew with milk once and he wasn't having any of it.

Funny you say that, my NF always has his own cup of tea now. Oat milk & half a sugar for him :D

He also has a perchant for undoing zips or velcro!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Arty mare will always pee before dinner as she hears you making the feeds. If you pre-make the feeds so that you just have to drop it over the door before she's had time to pee, you can almost see the conflict on her little face.

Dabs is just very orderly - there's a place in his stable to poo, a different place to wee, same in the school and in the field. In the field there is also a designated place to roll.

rosiesowner

Visit site
I have a friend whose horse likes to have the last 1/3 of her shandy on a pub ride. You hold the glass up to his mouth and tip it and he drinks it like a human.

Chilli has to plant once on the ramp when loading. For about 3 seconds. It is pointless in our eyes but I'm sure she thinks she is proving a point! *touches wood so this doesn't get worse*

She has to have a wee as soon as she goes back into a freshly mucked out stable even if she had one just before she came out for her bed to be done.

She won't stand tied to the trailer and will pull back. But will stand like a rock with the rope untied but looped through the twine (with someone around to make sure she doesn't run off of course!)

She won't eat an apple in less than five bites. Our record is eleven tiny bites!!!!

I could go on!!!!

BOWS28

Visit site
My mare almost bunny hops as I walk over with her feed. Not big enough to call it a rear... just a weird little jog on the spot :p She'll then wizz round and go for a wee - and I cant put the bucket of feed in before she's finished...
High maintenance lol

Fiona

Visit site
These are all fab :)

I'm racking my brains, but I can't think of any, except that my welsh cob rolled, then sat up like a dog, then rolled the other side.

Need to think about the present 3.....

Fiona

Horsekaren

Visit site
My boy will always get his willy out when he knows his work is done, as soon as i dismount or ask him to stand after lungeing out it comes.... highly embarrassing after recent events, I now have to do tight circles with him on the ground to get it to hide away so people don't see it. I took him out for my first ever dressage test a few months ago and i have the most lovely photo of our biggest achievement and there it is, his 5th leg... I was tempted to edit it out but i thought no, he was relaxed enough to let it all hang so i left it there

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Kira bites bits of apple in half. Doesn't matter whether you start with a whole apple, or a little sliver, she will not take the whole thing but will bite it in half.
She's incredibly accurate too, and gentle - I can always present a whole apple to her, she will carefully chomp half off and then Salty gets the other half :cool:

not sure about Salts, she's just generally odd. Now they are in more, I'm finding myself amused by her hay dunking antics.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Stealing other horses rugs through the tiniest of gaps (humans would struggle) then sleeping on them.

I have a horse who doesn't wear rugs (unclipped, healthy, slightly overweight native) yet I have a rug cleaning bill.

Annagain

Visit site
Archie turns his stable light on every single time he's left in his stable for more than about 10 minutes...even in broad daylight when it makes no difference. Nobody has ever seen him do it though. I thought he just liked playing with the switch but he's never turned it off if I leave it on.

Monty will not wee in his stable and has to be taken to the same spot in the field to have his wee of a morning if he's not being turned out straight away.

indie1282

Visit site
Over several different yards with different water sources, my mare will not always, but 90% of the time go straight for a drink when I turn her out, even if she's just had a drink in the stable. She also used to have set places to poo when we used to ride on the road - one was right outside a lovely older chaps house, and he would always come and pick it up for his roses.

Mine both go straight to their water in the field too - even if I offer them a bucket before turning out.

npage123

Visit site
When I'm grooming my gelding, he'll always lift his one hindleg (on whichever side I'm standing on) as high as possible (almost freezing in the 'cowkick' position) and bend his neck round as far as he can so he can stare at the leg that's lifted - and he won't put it down until after I've decently scratched the inside of his thigh and all the way down to the inside of his hock.
Then he'll do the same once I'm grooming on the other side.