Weird Head Carriage

Natalie_H

Visit site
I am a bit concerned about my horse. Since Wednesday, he has been carrying his head very low. I rode him very lightly in the school on Wednesday evening, and although not in any obvious discomfort, he didn't attempt to throw his head in the air in his first walk to trot transition which he normally would without me correcting it. He seemed fine afterwards.

However, when feeding tonight I carried the buckets out, and he whickered & paced up and down the fence in anticipation, but head down again which is most odd for him. His appetite is normal, he is sound, & he seems normal in himself. The only way I can describe it is that it is like when a horse is grazing & walks a couple of feet to the next patch of grass with their head down, but he is doing it all the time, I have even see him do this in trot.

I have felt his neck, shoulders, back, withers, & he has displayed no discomfort when I have pressed or massaged any of the areas. Any ideas?
confused.gif
The head carriage is straight BTW - not at an angle or anything. I may call the vet tomorrow, but wondered if any of you had experienced this.

Thanks for any replies!
smile.gif

Box_Of_Frogs

Visit site
Will he let you gently move his head into a more normal position? You could try holding his feed bucket up very high to see if he can actually move his head. Don't like the sound of it myself. I'd think teeth or kick or fall too. Good luck and let us know how he does xxx

Natalie_H

Visit site
Thanks for all replies - has been a bit hectic so haven't had a chance to get back on here. Called the vet on Saturday morning. He said to give some bute & see if it makes a difference & call on Monday if no change & he would do various tests & X-Rays.

So when I went up Saturday afternoon he was still the same - no visible discomfort but still carrying his head down by his knees. Put him in the stable & hung his feed (plus bute) on the stable door. He would take the feed out of the bucket, then put his head back down to chew & swallow it. I then called my EDT who said he would pop over to check teeth on Sunday morning.

I turned him back out whilst I was schooling Mum's horse, then within 5 minutes noticed him haring round the stable block at breakneck speed! He was fine then. Went back down Sunday morning - still fine. Decided not to bother with the bute. EDT turned up - teeth all normal except for one with a crack in it. He said that it "might" be causing him some discomfort, but that it would grow out. Hacked him out in the afternoon - no problem - and he has been fine since. Most bizarre
confused.gif
EDT also checked his neck & said his flexing was fine.

So keeping an eye out, and will call the vet if it happens again.

Thanks again for your replies
smile.gif