Weird looking Horsebox

Lacuna

Visit site
I often just have a look at the odd 3.5 ton horse boxes with an eye to prices, in case I can afford one in the not too distant. I don't know whether prices are coming down slightly, but there seem to be more reasonable prices than previously.

Came across this one on FB Marketplace and couldn't quite get a handle on what is going on as I've never really seen a vehicle like it. Can anyone advise if this is a type of box I just haven't seen, a really good idea or an accident waiting to happen. The front and back don't match at all and I;d personally be concerned about any weak spots between the cabin and the box

horsebox.jpg

Squeak

Visit site
Eeek!! It might be brilliantly done if you saw it in person but it looks a complete bodge job and an accident waiting to happen.

Melody Grey

Visit site
It’s an ifor williams container (rather than a trailer). They’re normally on a shorter wheelbase chassis, which I think is why it looks odd. It’s basically a trailer inside, but is/was specific for this purpose. You used to see quite a few and they’re often cheaper than boxes. I nearly bought one years ago, but was warned off as the centre of gravity is quite high, so apparently not that stable.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Thanks for that. Didn't know ifor williams did containers an that looks like a decent box .
Nothing wrong with the containers but most were mounted on Ford transit cab chassis which was too high and the suspension rolled, giving ponies a dreadful ride. Also, the single 90 degree front ramp was dangerous when the box was on a transit as again,it was too high.
Have seen a lot of horses and ponies start refusing to load in these and equally dangerous scrabbling off on either ramp.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
Looking at the different colour panels on the van, and the fact it's covered in pug, I would imagine the van at the very least is seriously rusty.. which doesn't bode well for the chassis.

holeymoley

Visit site
You do get some ifor boxes like that, but that chassis looks like a transit van that’s been cut in half. Not a proper transit pick up chassis. Sorry I don’t know correct models, hopefully you know what I mean. The ones that are done right used to be reknown for giving a terrible ride for the horses as they were so high off the ground. I wouldn’t put a horse in that, it looks incredibly unstable.

Identityincrisis

Visit site
Can you imagine getting a horse up and down those ramps?! They'd need abseiling gear! It honestly looks like an accident waiting to happen but there will be someone out there who is unconcerned/unaware of the safety/ride quality etc and buy it