Weirdest horse you've ever come across

moosea

Visit site
We've had the thread about the strange names ... now let's hear about you strange horses!!

I once knew a TB mare that would lick and suck mice to death!
The mice would jump into her manger to look for crumbs of food and she would lick them into the corners and kill them. Occasionally you would find a really squashed, long, freshly sucked mouse! Her best was three in one night!

muddygreymare

Visit site
My horse Bella likes to help muck out, is that weird enough for you? :D She grabs hold of the wheelbarrow with her teeth and tries to bring it towards you, and also tries to move the shavings fork when I have hold of it! She also likes trying to drink people's cups of tea and likes to steal fruit cake... She's rather 'speshul', she makes me smile :)

nikicb

www.facebook.com
There was a pony at the stables where I rode at as a child. He was piebald (in those days was a lot less desirable than it is today) and twice as long as he was tall, very un-pretty head (that is complimentary!!), but was such a character.

muddygreymare

Visit site
Fruit cake?!
I forgot to add Jack loves oranges. My childhood pony ate lamb, bacon and lots of other meats, including parts of chicken carcasses that mum used to throw out of the window for the cats :eek:

Fruit cake indeed! My mum was stood outside Bella's stable on boxing day eating some christmas cake (fruit cake) and Bella kind of stole it... Since then she's done it again twice haha. She's now rather inquisitive horse though, she never used to be and tries to play with everything! You would have thought she was a baby the way she acts, she's actually 10 :p:D

SuperCoblet

Visit site
When we first got gypsy he would actually suckle your fingers! And he wasn't even a baby anymore, then he turned to biting so we stopped shoving our fingers in his mouth cos it was funny :D

If you feed him a mint he will stick his tongue out, turn it upside down and suck it :confused:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ld5HSONylSE

There's a mare at the stables I work at who will be a complete angel one minute, then flip and be the most vile thing ever!

And a gelding, who will refuse to mOve no matter how much you try, you have to resort to using a whip, then you proceed to sit through 5 minutes of bucking and broncing, still while using a whip else he'll just stop dead, then if he doesn't get you off he'll stop bucking and be a complete angel and even jump a 3'6 course with no problems. I hate riding that pony, but they insist on me riding him as I stay on! -.-

MeganLindsx

Visit site
Probably not weird but annoying.. A horse that was in the field with my mare used to walk into the post and rail fencing (back and forth) until it came down. She did it around 3 times in an hour before we decided to bring her in. :rolleyes:

TheBayMonkey

Visit site
Monkey eats strawberry yoghurt (with the old pony it would be ham sandwiches), lunges himself (all I do is stand in the arena while he circles 20m round me, if he strikes off incorrectly in canter you say "legs" and he changes, and when you say "change" he changes direction across the diagonal), follows the waves at the beach back and forth before jumping in soaking us in the process, leads himself into his stable from the field with the leadrope in his mouth, throws his bucket out of the stable to tell you he's finished his dinner, paints his own toes with the hoof oil brush (then tries to eat it...), kisses cows out on hacks and just about wees on command. I have plenty more stories of the odd things he does, and then wonders why we're sitting on the floor laughing at him. Such a character :D

cheeryplatypus

Visit site
We've had the thread about the strange names ... now let's hear about you strange horses!!

I once knew a TB mare that would lick and suck mice to death!
The mice would jump into her manger to look for crumbs of food and she would lick them into the corners and kill them. Occasionally you would find a really squashed, long, freshly sucked mouse! Her best was three in one night!

My horse likes to lick the dog...I thought it was sweet as he was grooming her. Unfortunately one day I heard a yowl and peaked over my pony to see the horse had lifted the poor dog up by her leg and was holding her four feet off the ground!! (she's a Labrador so not exactly small!). Luckily she was fine apart from some grazes and bruising. Now they aren't allowed to be tied up together :(

Not quite as disgusting as mice though :D

starryeyed

Visit site
Probably not weird but annoying.. A horse that was in the field with my mare used to walk into the post and rail fencing (back and forth) until it came down. She did it around 3 times in an hour before we decided to bring her in. :rolleyes:

Mine does this sometimes, drives us mad! All the fencing now has a line of electric tape a few feet in front of it to try and deter him - doesn't always work though :rolleyes:

And about the mouse eater - we have a rabbit eater! Keep finding bodies in his field, thought it was something else killing them (and then completely skinning them!) but then we caught him in the act and regularly find them in his field shelter :confused: - horrible, he has mineral licks, what more does he want?!

My lad is definitely the weirdest horse i've come across, nothing he does makes any sense. He spends his entire summers running away from his shadow and hiding in dark places where it can't find him - yet goes straight back into panic mode if he emerges from the dark place and the shadow is waiting for him!

CatStew

Visit site
My horse likes to lick the dog...I thought it was sweet as he was grooming her. Unfortunately one day I heard a yowl and peaked over my pony to see the horse had lifted the poor dog up by her leg and was holding her four feet off the ground!! (she's a Labrador so not exactly small!). Luckily she was fine apart from some grazes and bruising. Now they aren't allowed to be tied up together :(

Not quite as disgusting as mice though :D

:D This did make me laugh!!

Unfortunately I've never known any horses that like sucking mice or picking up dogs, but my mare likes eating tea bags.. sorry, it's pretty tame in comparison!

Ladydragon

Visit site
Loving this thread... :D

We have a small Lhasa Apso and last year, our yearling, who was as dumb as dishwater but a sweetie, used to wait until she could grab the lead on pooch's harness - then carry her around a few feet in the air with poor Fudge dangling...

My TB has a leather fetish... The bridle has to be shoved on in mega quick time before he has chance to grab any section of it... I was changing stirrup leathers once and, not thinking, hung one pair on his door to grab the other pair... He'd grabbed one and chewed n' mangled it in just a few minutes... :rolleyes:

Chavhorse

Visit site
My old mare who got banned from being turned out with the sheep as if one was in her way she woud grab it by the fleece pick it up and set it down again rather than walking round it.

She was a wee bit special to say the least.

gocharliego

Visit site
My horse is a real character.

One of his best, most annoying, weird 'tricks' is to undo his own lead rope when tied up then go over to the horse tied up next to him and undo his head collar. Sometimes he is a bit too clever but thankfully they have never got very far!

He also carries his breakfast bucket back in from the field, pushes gates open with his nose and generally chews, licks and nibbles EVERYTHING! Life is never boring owning him :)

Tinseltoes

Visit site
The man who owns the field told me that Flash picked up a sheep by the scruff and moved it out of his way.Also Ffion she charges after sheep if they get in the field. They are so full of character!!

Barnsey

Visit site
Years ago, (1979) when I was working a Pachetts, there was a horse called Hookmoney, he use to suck polo's, you could put them on his tounge, he would then curl he tounge over them and suck, we spent hours feeding him mints, cos it was so cute to watch.:)

ShadowFlame

Visit site
Mine's quite a card... he'll rub feed buckets up and down his leg then chase them round the yard while wagging (yes, wagging) his tail... I'll get it on video one day.