Well 9 months after the operation, the keratoma is back- What now ??

Cobsndogs

Visit site
Am pretty gutted. Last year when my little horse went lame, after a bit of going forwards and backwards to the vet, a not very obvious keratoma was discovered. The vet was pretty positive that an operation would have a good outcome. Op was done and all aftercare, changing of dressings, bar shoe etc. After a few months started to bring him slowly back into work, all good. Anyway when the farrier last came what did he discover once he had trimmed back- Yes the sodding Keratoma, bigger than before. Vet has confirmed 'It's Back', and seems more aggressive. Has basically said he can operate again, but is obviously not so positive on the outcome, says it is in an difficult place and will have to cut a lot more hoof away, right back to the pedal bone, but can be done. He says it's a difficut decision to make, and one he doesn't envy me. He found the whole time at the vet's quite traumatic last time as doesn't really like men/strangers and had to be sedated every time they changed the dressing, and then ended up coming home a week early for me to do the dressings, as he was happier with that. I'm so uncertain about a good outcome from a further operation now, and nothing that has been said has made me feel any more positive about it, but the alternative is that he will end up lame on that foot anyway.

Flame_

Visit site
If you are insured and still within your year on this claim with money left, get it removed again. Its very possible it wasn't completely removed the first time so just because it's come back once doesn't necessarily mean it will keep coming back, according to my understanding anyway.

How flipping gutting for you. :(

smellsofhorse

Visit site
Poor you and horse.

You know your horse best, whether that be another operation, do nothing so he becomes s pet ( I don't know much about this subject, so may not be possible) or PTS.

Cobsndogs

Visit site
He is not lame yet, but is choosing to rest that hind leg more than the other and stamping it when in the stable (he does have feathers, which had us thinking mites when he was doing it last year, but that all stopped after the op). He was very lame on it last year by the time the keratoma was found- having had several visits to the vet, x-rays, thermography etc.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
I would either go for - 2nd operation, or - PTS.

A very tough decision. Get X-rays/scans done to assess the new keratoma (you may have these already) and talk in depth to your Vet. If possible, send the scans to a second Vet for another opinion. Of course, the money side will probably be a factor if he's been excluded for keratomas or reached his insurance limit.

I'm so very sorry. :(

TicTac

Visit site
I really dont envy you and it's a tough decision you have to make. TBH if my horse were in that situation I probably wouldn't put it through another operation. We sometimes have to think about why we do these things.

If the prognosis is good, all things considered and your horse can have a comfortable life again after, whatever that is, then the risk is worth it.

Good luck and I dont think anybody would judge you what ever you decide to do. Keep us posted x

SusieT

Visit site
I'd be tempted to keep him giong until he is lame and then pts I'm afraid, I wouldn't be for doing 2 long term ops when he didn't deal with it well before.

Dolcé

Visit site
As I understand it a keratoma causes lameness but this often disappears as it causes a thickened area between the keratoma and where it is pressing. Have you spoken to your farrier about it since he discovered it was back? We have one that has a keratoma running the full length of his hoof, he was lame and was suffering abscesses, we had several different farriers over a short period of time but none of them knew why his foot was mishaped and said it was the abscess that had caused the wall to collapse and we had to wait for it to grow out. The horse was lame for 18 months. Cue our new farrier, immediately identified what it was, explained it all to us and recommended we left it alone, the horse is now sound and hopefully will stay so. The hoof is grown down and now is slightly rounded around the keratoma. This particular horse has always had problems with this foot, it is a boxy one anyway and he has always suffered from abscesses in it. It would appear that either the keratoma has always been present and caused the problems or the foot problems have caused the keratoma. If I were faced with your choice then I would not go for the op and would wait it out, but maybe that is just me. Is your horse shod? Ours had his shoes off but is rather flat footed on his fronts (he just has awful feet), our farrier has put him back into shoes on the fronts to support the hoof during recuperation and it certainly helped. Have you googled keratomas, there are loads of vet reports and information which may or may not help you decide what to do. Good luck whatever you decide.

indie999

Visit site
I'd be tempted to keep him giong until he is lame and then pts I'm afraid, I wouldn't be for doing 2 long term ops when he didn't deal with it well before.

Sorry to hear this and it sounds right harsh but I agree that until it becomes a real problem keep comfortable and then you need to make decision to PTS if the odds are still stacked against it coming back or causing utter misery for the horse ie the risk surgery/infection etc etc especially if he never found it easy post op and it has already been tried before and may come back again. Easy to give advice as always isnt it. Just keep being realistic.

dafthoss

Visit site
Have a look at sarah-janes facebook page she had her horses keratoma removed at home and I think hers had to be taken back to the bone. She posts more on CR but I'm sure she would discuss it with you if you sent her a PM.

Cobsndogs

Visit site
To be honest have spent the past week deciding on one thing and then changing my mind. Have spoken with OH, Vet and insurance (who will pay for another op), but am still no further forward.

Bojangles

Visit site
Im really sorry to hear this. My boy is on two months post op for a keratoma. Hug's I know how it feels to make that decison over going ahead with op. Yet alone twice!! Mine is 20 year's old and it took a lot of hard thinking. I don't regret going ahead with it the op as now he is doing really well. I do now have a fab team of vet's and a fab farrier. The poor vet has put up with a lot of me worring over it all.

Flame_

Visit site
What prognosis have they given you of the second operation being a success? Do they think that they just didn't take enough tissue away the first time and that a second op has every chance of success or do they think its likely he will continue to grow tumors each time one is taken away?

If the prognosis is good, I think you've come this far and you've been through it once, you can do it again. Horses are tough, he can take it. Keep your chin up. :)