Well an important lesson learnt after spending yesterday evening in A+E...

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Well my important lesson to you all: Do not stand behind/walk behind your horse whilst allowing it to sniff another horse.

Gah I am so annoyed with myself. I was just about to get on madam, and walked behind her to put my saddle cover away, stupidly she wasn't tied up and was saying hello to another horse over his stable door. Next thing I knew there was a very loud squeal and I was flung backwards against the wall. Luckily, as I was just about to get on, I was wearing my hat and body protector (albeit the too small BP, but better than nothing!!) managed to stagger over and shove lady in her stable and stagger out to my mum's car in the yard.

Went in to shock and went very dizzy and white (and it was feeling horribly reminiscent of breaking my collar bone last year!!) Leg and ribs were killing, so luckily my friend was around to sort out Lady and off we went to A+E.

So, eventually saw a doctor, who didn't even look at my leg, clearly the fact that I could walk meant it wasn't broken or too serious :p He didn't think my rib was broken, said it could be cracked but not a full on break. Nothing they can do for ribs anyway, so no point in x raying.

So I am now very bored as was supposed to be having a lesson today and can't. My instructor is having her over the next week for some schooling and hacking, as I'm going away for a few days on friday anyway. Hoping to be back on board next week though!!

Moral of the story? Don't get kicked!!! ;)

Achinghips

Visit site
Oh dear - hope you feel better soon. A cracked rib can hurt like hell. Get on the settee, put a duvet around you, hot choccy and watch a feel good chick flick.

BBP

Visit site
Blimey, glad you are okay! I had my own lesson yesterday - don't go out to hay a bunch of hungry horses in the field without tying up the stroppy one first! He tried to barge past me to get the the hay, I shooed him off and he span round and let me have it with both barrels! Both hind hooves were 4 inches from caving in my face and leaving me dead on the floor. I wasn't wearing a riding hat of course. I'll know not to be so complacent in future!

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Thank goodness you're all right. I had a very near miss yesterday too dressing a wound on my horses leg. He kicked out and narrowly missed my head.

joeanne

Visit site
I feel your pain....well actually I dont, but smallest daughter does. She got bopped on the head by a rearing pony. Head then sprouted a bit of a leak.
So important lesson number one is dont get kicked.
Important lesson number two is dont get bopped over the head!

Vixxy

Visit site
So glad you had your BP and hat on, that must have saved you a bit. Huge hugs from Norway, hope your feeling better soon x

Puppy

Visit site
Oh you poor thing. The shock factor is so terrifying :( Very, very glad to hear you are ok. Get lots of rest & feel better soon. xx

cindars

Visit site
Oh I really feel your pain! I did the same lapse of judgement a few years ago with a friends welsh cob mare. Went up to her from behind to put her tail over the fillet string and she caught me with both hinds in the chest. No-one at yard collapsed in a heap in the mud(this was November) and howled (YO and wife thought it was a fox!) managed to bike home had a shower and went to work. Only later on in the evening did I confess to OH as I couldn't get undressed on my own. Spent 6 weeks on the sofa as I couldn't lay flat.
It still aches now when weather particularly awful.

Hope you mend quicker than I did. Hugs and hot choccie all round and arnica.

Puppy

Visit site
Both hind hooves were 4 inches from caving in my face and leaving me dead on the floor.

*shudder shudder*

I got double barreled in the face, and it's a flipping miracle I'm still alive; albeit scarred, still seeing doctors and still suffering the repercussions. It really is the most dreadful injury and I go cold just thinking about that split second before I was knocked out and the massive 'crack' noise that could very well have been the last thing I ever heard! :(:(

LMuirEDT

www.horsedentistry.org.uk
Crikey! Glad u are ok. I think we all get a bit blasé around horses and it takes something like this to make us realise how big and powerful horses and ponies are. I know I've had some close calls in the past that have made me think twice!

Luci07

Visit site
Agree, we can all get a bit complacent - familarity breeds contempt. I hope you start to feel better shortly as I know how much cracked ribs can hurt - and if your ribs are cracked in your back it seems to hurt a LOT more than the front.

Speaks someone who just closed a partition on her mare in the lorry without thinking - mare was highly sensitive, I was cow kicked and literally sent flying down the ramp, which is quite something consedering I am muscular and healthy 5.5" woman! I had to start a brand new job wearing trainers, with what looked like a football growing out of my leg and ended up in hospital for 5 days and 2 ops to drain the swelling. They actually offered me plastic surgery to repair the scar/dip in my leg but on the basis that they wouldnt give me liposuction to compensate for another hospital stay I have left well alone. And to think as as child I was fasinated and wanted to go to a hospital! I can safely say that I have spent far too much time there now - and all equine related bar the smoke inhalation!

BBP

Visit site
*shudder shudder*

I got double barreled in the face, and it's a flipping miracle I'm still alive; albeit scarred, still seeing doctors and still suffering the repercussions. It really is the most dreadful injury and I go cold just thinking about that split second before I was knocked out and the massive 'crack' noise that could very well have been the last thing I ever heard! :(:(

Crikey, thats horrific... I'm glad you are on the road to recovery, I have no doubt that had he made contact yesterday he could have killed me. Best not to dwell on these things! (horse is lucky he didn't get a hiding - instead I caught him and tied him up on the yard my adrenaline had dropped and I stopped thinking of different ways to skin him!)

Lippyx

Essex... In my bubble, floating above reality!!
Visit site
You poor soul! Its the silly "should have known better" accidents that annoy the most!! You know not to do it, but yet we all still feel the need to do it, and one day BANG, we find out the hard way as to why we SHOULDN'T do it!!
I hope you are feeling better soon, and thank goodness it wasn't worse!

kandm

Visit site
Blimey! When I opened this post I didn't know what to expect, thank god you are okay!! Hopefully after a nice couple of days away you'll be raring to get going again :D.

katie_and_toto

Visit site
Ouch! Hope you're not in too much pain! :(

I have had this lesson too, well sort of, let Toto into his stable, he was almost all the way in when he decided his stable was far too scarey and backed out at about a hundred miles an hour, I had been just about to close the door, so he backed straight into me, stomped on my foot and his hoof kinda slid off the end of my toes, very painful, and ended up in the Walk-In Centre when I realised there was blood soaking through my sock :eek:

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Glad you are ok. We have all been there, complacently trusting our horses and not watching their every move. But a good reminder to us all how dangerous our beloved pets are!!

SunSmile

Visit site
Glad you're ok, i hope you're not sore for too long!
As everyone else has said its something we all do, and generally get away with, even tho we know its a silly thing to do and poor you ended up learning the lesson the hard way!

trundle

Visit site
Well, I'm not going to offer hugs because i cracked a couple of ribs when Taffy chucked me into the fence last year, and it HURTS when people hug you. It took about eight weeks for them to stop hurting, so don't rush things. I am very glad that you were wearing hat and BP, and that you are basically OK. Enjoy your break, and make sure you get lots of rest.