Well, banana went down like a lead balloon...

tasteofchristmaschaos

Visit site
I've seen lots of posts on here about people feeding horses bananas, and that some love them whilst others hate them. I happened to mention it for some reason whilst at the yard this morning with my dad, and he had one in his car so I thought I would try it.
I have never seen such a disgusted look on a horses face in all my life. I peeled it and put it in front of him and he just looked confused. So I broke a bit off, and put it infront of his nose. He looked at my like I was offering him a pile of rusty nails to eat!
This is the horse who eats crisps out of your hand before you even know he is there, and who will have a pocket open and polos (and wrapping!) eaten before a shocked look even crosses your face.
Next time I want him to leave something alone, I'll just put a banana on top of it!

competitiondiva

Visit site
LOL!! I think they must be like marmite! Love em or hate em!!!

I have 3 horses, 1 loves them peel and all, 1 I have to peel them and then he eats them and the 3rd won't touch them!!!!

starbar

Visit site
Ha ha....I think they are an acquired taste! One of mine loves them...but the one and only time my other horse tried them, he bit a bit off, chewed it, curled his lips back and spat it back out all over me. He looked most afronted. I haven't bothered again as I'm not keen on being covered in mashed banana!! :D

Sanolly

Visit site
Ha ha....I think they are an acquired taste! One of mine loves them...but the one and only time my other horse tried them, he bit a bit off, chewed it, curled his lips back and spat it back out all over me. He looked most afronted. I haven't bothered again as I'm not keen on being covered in mashed banana!! :D
ROFLMAO!!! :D:D

I haven't tried my mare with bananas however I know my cob would love them - he eats anything, including mince pies and bacon&egg sarnies!

Louby

Visit site
I tried my boy with a banana recently. He looked at me like I had two heads, snorted, spooked and ran to the back of the stable. I dont think he likes bananas :D

gonebananas

Visit site
mine LOVE bananas especially meg, hence my name :D she'll only let me catch her if i have a banana with me. she also like kiwi's

Queenbee

Visit site
Ha Ha,

well my two have never tried banana but I opened the garlic granules today for the horses feed I haven't fed them in ages, little man had never tasted garlic till today... I don't think he ever wants to taste it again bless him! He had a few mouthfuls of his feed and left it.

Ruddyreindeer

Visit site
Never tried bananas but looked after a RS cob who adored oranges ! Several regular riders would bring bags full for him. He ate the peel and everything, making a lovely orangy smelling, slurrpy sloppy mess !! Good old Teddy. :D :D

BBP

Visit site
My sisters horse is the opposite, he likes bananas in all forms...including stopping on a hack and reversing to peel a banana skin off the road. It had clearly been dumped and run over by several cars, but there was no way on earth he was carrying on until we let him eat it. It was revolting! He thinks the skin is the best bit! Wierdo!

Fiorano

Visit site
My two love them and oranges and I'm sure my little mare would eat anything as she is the greediest horse I have EVER known! :)

Scranny_Ann

Visit site
Have never tried my girl on bananas - although she will eat anything, crisps, digestives (especially ones dunked in tea :rolleyes:) and will eat orange peel :D

Funny - they will eat our food but i would never dream of digging into A&P Fast Fibre, sugar beet or anything of the sorts!! :rolleyes::D:D:D I have been spotted rolling around on grass before - but that's usually after i've fallen off, not grazing!!

brucea

Visit site
My 4 all LOVE bananas - and I carry the dried bananas on a hack as treats for them and the kids.

I knew one horse whose favourite treat was a bucket of milk. Tried it with mine and they just got aggressive with it :confused:!

Batgirl

Visit site
lols, i fell foul of this too, with several things!

I have tried apples, bananas and swede and all that happened was that there was a very happy stallion next door! (Owners permission to give him things my piccy 19yo won't eat)

Carrots and Polo's only please mummy! lol

somethingorother

Visit site
Tried 6 different arabs with a banana and none of them would touch it. Even ginger arab who will eat ANYTHING, traditionally edible or not. It ended up smeared all over floors/ walls/ fences. :/

One of the mares who came about 7 months ago wouldn't touch a carrot or apple when she came, she didn't know what to do with them and had obviously never had one (she's 3!) so it took about an hour to nibble away half an apple. But now she will eat anything you put in front of her and is the Horsey Hoover for stuff the others won't eat. Apart from bananas :p

jaijai

Visit site
Ha Ha,

little man had never tasted garlic till today... I don't think he ever wants to taste it again bless him! He had a few mouthfuls of his feed and left it.

Tried ours with a banana and he was most disgusted. Won't touch garlic granules but likes the powder??? In fact licks the feed bowl clean. Assume it must be something to do with textures.

redmone

Visit site
Dolly LOVES bananas.

I read somewhere that the potassium and vitamin Bs in them can chill out grumpy mares - not sure how true it is though!

:D

nikCscott

Visit site
ROFLMAO!!! :D:D

I haven't tried my mare with bananas however I know my cob would love them - he eats anything, including mince pies and bacon&egg sarnies!

My Sec A LOVES bananas and not alot else treatwise, but my 'food hoover' of a 16.2hh who loves sandwiches, fruit pastels, quavers or any friut or sweets my children are eating- offered him a banana and he shoveled it in chewed then opened his mouth as wide as i've even seen it and sort of waved his tongue around trying to shake the banananess out of his mouth- one of the funniest things i've seen! The Sec A was there in a shot sucking up the dropped banana! :D