Well doesnt even look likes it the leg afterall???

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Well some of you may have read my previous post about my mare with the problem which we all thought was leg/ligament problems...well...the vet came last night and nerve blocked the leg from hock down. We waited for it to take effect then tacked up and took her in the school. He had me riding round, then leading round, then riding bareback, then leading with no saddle. Conclusion being - the nerve block hadn't made a difference so the problem is def steming from her Back!!
confused.gif

The odd stride/lameness was still there but just in varying degrees i.e worse with saddle and rider, not soo bad with just rider but still there. This means she now has to go in the vets for further ultra sounds/x-rays etc to find out what it is...we are now back to the first idea of 'kissing spines'!!

Oh to top all that of, she is now on box rest due to an eye problem. Somhow she's knocked her eye and her pupil was spasming and bearly open. So she is on antibiotic eyedrops and another eyedrop that dilates the pupil. Problem with that is cause the pupil is fully dilated and she has no control over it it would hurt for her to go in direct sunlight...soooo for the time being she has to stay in
frown.gif
my poorly little girl
frown.gif

spike123

Visit site
Oh I hope all will be ok with your mare.It must be very frustrating for you to see her in pain and not being able to help ease it for her.I had a physio out to Spike recently as he was refusing to work on the bit and seemed very uncomfortable and stiff.He had put his hip out although the difference was so minimal it wasn't a noticeable drop in height between the 2 hips.He had also put his poll out which again I had no idea about as he wasn't showing the classical signs of a poll problem and damaged his back.The physio spent almost 2 hours working on him and he is now coming back into work slowly.The difference in him was quite noticeable after treatment and the next day I had to take him for a 10 minute ride at a brisk walk and it was lovely to really feel him stepping under me with no resistance at all.Would it be worth your while to get a physio to come and look him over if the problem is in his back before paying out for the xrays.It was money well spent for me(£50 including the call out)and was certainly cheaper than calling my vet who would have done the same as yours.You will need permission from your vet if the physio comes out to you but its certainly an avenue worth going along before spending the fortune on xrays of her spine.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
If I thought that would be an option and would help we would, but unfortunetly ive had the physio check my horses back for years and Aris had hers done about every 6months since I've owned her
frown.gif
The physio also has her horse at the same yard and knows the vet....it was her that said about getting the bone scan done months ago, which we did and didnt show up anything....so back to square 1...

spike123

Visit site
it sounds like you do everything you can to keep your horse in peak condition.Hopefully the scans/xrays will reveal the source of the problem this time.What is the likelyhood of her becoming sound if its something like kissing spines.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
Thats the annoying thing lol...you do everything you can then theres still problems...think it depends on how many of the vertebrea (sp?) are touching, if just 1 then its pretty fixable but if alot more then it gets harder to fix....

Kelly1982

Visit site
OMG Becky i cant believe it!!!!

I really thought the vet would come up with a solution last night.

Why didn't they carry out x-rays when she went for the bone scan the first time?? Thats the first thing they did with my horse before commiting to a bone scan as its so expensive.

God i really feel for you, are you insured??

MrsMagoo

Visit site
So did we
frown.gif
thought the nerve block would show it all up!! How annoying...well suppose because nothing showed up on the bone scan they didnt feel the need to do any further test. vet did say that kissing spines doesnt always show up on bone scans, as the scan only picks up on bony malfactions and inflammed bone, where as the kissing spine could just be rubbing together...

Yes insured with NFU thank god, and they've been really good so far with paying etc
smile.gif

Kelly1982

Visit site
I think its really odd that they didn't carry out x-rays first as bone scans only tend to show up 'hot spots' but i aint no vet so what do i know!!

At least she is going for them now though so hopefully you can get to the bottom of it. Is she booked in yet??

NFU are brill, they paid me out within a week of each claim.

MrsMagoo

Visit site
well i think the vet was so sure he knew what it was at the time, he just went straight for the big test!!! hmmm

Gotta book her in, but vets away next week so will be week after!