Well done Katie Walsh

attheponies

Visit site
Leaving aside all other discussions on the race I just wanted to say a huge well done to Katie Walsh, I was really rooting for her and thought at one point she might just do it. Would love to see a lady rider win one day!

BeachBreaker

Visit site
I totally agree...I thought the race was horrific and it really makes me sad HOWEVER instead of getting caught up in all of the debates it has already caused I feel you may as well focus on the positives and Katie Walsh did a fantastic job as a first timer! Great to see the girls really making their mark in a male dominated world!

Visit site
I have to say I laughed when Seabass was backed into fabouritism because he is essentially a 2miler plus he had a girl on board and I am no fan of female jockeys but fair play to her! She rode a cracking race and got a well deserved placing!

Maesfen

Extremely Old Nag!
photobucket.com
I have to say I laughed when Seabass was backed into fabouritism because he is essentially a 2miler plus he had a girl on board and I am no fan of female jockeys but fair play to her! She rode a cracking race and got a well deserved placing!

Well Red Rum was a two miler too; in fact the only distance he didn't do from a youngster, think I'm correct to say was sprinting! ;)

Great round from Katy, her family must be very proud of both of them. It's sickening that she's so pretty too, that and talent, some have it all! :p

Ceris Comet

Visit site
Well done Katie. Fab ride and I must confess to one and all that when she slipped behind nearing the finish I was jumping up and down yelling " WHACK IT WHACK IT "!!!! . Sorry , I hang my head in shame .

Little Squirrel

Visit site
I'm not a fan of female jockey's either but both Nina and KAty are exception's of that rule! Both are top class horsewomen and very stylish. I beat both of them in a finish in a bumper at Killarney a few years ago.... maybe I shouldn't have hung up my boots when I did!!! :D

Quantock-cob

Visit site
I was screaming at her to keep going. She did so well. Very brave lady (I can just about manage a cross pole).

My OH was a bit confused as to why there was such a fuss about her being the first female to win the GN. He started arguing with me that there had been one years ago, an American lady, horse named Pie. Oh dear, he did look sad when I told him that was a film he was remembering. Bless him :)

Visit site
They also tend to be quite self-preservative and dont take the same risks as the guys. Where a male jock might ask for a long one or see half a gap and go for it the females tend to hold back a little. I dont for one minute believe that they are aware that they are doing it but mother nature kicks in and says 'hold up a wee second there'.

Lucy Alexander is a girl to follow. She has worked her way up the ranks and is a cracking wee rider. She still has a lot to learn but she is keen, eager and hungry. Time will tell what she turns into.

Little Squirrel

Visit site
And come third in the national.

I wasn't talking about Katie or Nina. They are both an exception. They are both strong, stylish and have a racing brain. Megan Carberry will also be good when she comes racing age, but they all have exceptional genes and have worked bloody hard to be accepted in their craft. They also have had great backing from Noel Meade and Willie Mullins. Their brother's wouldn't be soft on them either!

Nollaig Shona

Visit site
Well Red Rum was a two miler too; in fact the only distance he didn't do from a youngster, think I'm correct to say was sprinting! ;)

His first race was a five furlong sprint (at Aintree), in which he dead heated for first place.

Pretty sure he's the only horse to have won at both extremes of the racing spectrum, shortest (5f) and longest (4m4f)