Well, no HOYS for us then.....

pootleperkin

Visit site
Just a quick, but sad update. Gully injured his pastern a while back, seemingly a sprain of sorts as there was nothing bar enormous oedema to see on scanning and nothing on X ray.

Although I am pleased to say he is much improved, nearly sound in trot now and the vet has said I can start walking him out, obviously we aren't going to make our HOYS debut in the SFAS riding club show horse class that we qualified for back in April - such a long time to wait, be excited (enormously excited!!) and then not be able to go :(

I am absolutely gutted - I was devastated when it happened and held on to a small shred of hope that he would be up and running in time as tendons and ligaments were all intact, but it isn't to be. We have also missed our BD regional finals and looks like areas will be out of the window too. So much for all that work last winter to collect points!

Anyway, that's horses for you and the main thing is he is looking like he will make a full recovery - fingers crossed. I really thought we had had our share of bad luck across the years though - how I wish I hadn't taken him jump schooling that afternoon..... the wonders of hindsight!

Wundahorse

Visit site
Sorry to hear that.You must be gutted.Glad we never qualified for SFAS as our boy boy suffered a tail malfunction in that the hair started falling out two weeks after SFAS in July.Can't show at all until it grows long enough so a do share your disappointment.

Capriole

Visit site
I'm genuinely gutted for you, I can't even begin to know how bad you are feeling right now.

At least he looks like making a full recovery so that's the main thing, and if you and he have managed to qualify once you know you can do it, so good luck for next time :)

PorkChop

Visit site
Oh no thats rubbish news, obviously its great that he is going to be fine, but a huge amount of time and effort to qualify and not get to go is pants.

atouchwild

Visit site
Can't comprehend how gutted you are :-(
And don't beat yourself up, you couldn't have known he was going to damage himself jump schooling.

Have some wine :)

Last edited:

pootleperkin

Visit site
I approached HOYS about entry fee refund and they said it's not policy to refund, but they may on a vet report. I'm trying to sell the stable space at present for Wed and Thursday and my groom's room at the Hilton on Wed night to recoup some expenses! I'm still going to go down to HOYS with OH, grit my teeth and watch the classes, mainly in the hope that I will be super prepared if we qualify again. I had had such great feedback from other judges in the area this summer, telling me they thought he would do really well, so even more gutting to miss it. He will be 11 next time round, so I'm just hoping that his pastern completely returns to normal - although he is nearly sound now, it is still visibly thickened at present.

But Capriole, you are right, I don't want to think about the amount spent chasing qualification for the lot - in the case of the BD entry fees I guess I would have entered the classes anyway, looking on the bright side. Also, G was v clever and managed to qualify first time out for SFAS, but it was bad enough paying the £90 (I entered 2 classes) just for the one crack of the whip. I have everything crossed that we manage to do the same next year, but don't what I will do with him from May to October!! I can't completely wrap him up....I thought I was being pretty careful with him by stopping eventing and XC training in June and just showing and doing odd bit of SJ practice! I kept joking about putting him in cotton wool, never believing that we actually wouldn't get there :(

Everyone tells me that he is a class act and we will qualify again, but it's the doing it that matters! I was just so thrilled that he did it this time - I really couldn't believe it - reliving it afterwards, I just couldn't believe the judges picked us!

mil1212

Visit site
Oh no, so gutted for you, what a disappointment, horses give such us highs and lows. Fingers crossed you can give it another go next year

Kokopelli

Visit site
So sorry :( I'm so gutted for you and have everything crossed he makes a full recovery. Well done for being a responsible owner too.

Have you tried advertising on the hoys fb group?

Neptune

Visit site
Feel totally gutted for you :( Least he is going to be all ok and there is always next year. Although appreciate that is a lot easier to say than accept! Hopefully you will re-coup some of the costs for not going.

Perfect_Pirouette

Visit site
Ahh, like lots of others, really feel your dissapointment and gutted for you :(

Try not to dwell now (MUCH easier said than done) push it to the back of your mind, try and re-coup as many costs as possible, be proud you and your horse were given the opportunity and pray and believe that 2014 will be your year :) x

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
Oh no, I can imagine how gutted you are. Really hope he comes back well and that you manage to qualify again next year, he sounds like a true all rounder and it's difficult to get the balance right to keep them and you interested in their work but without any risk of injury.

nikkimariet

Visit site
You will qualify again, for sure :)

It's gutting at the time but there are always more opportunities.

Horses always like to keep you on your toes... I'm currently keeping everything crossed for Fig, who stood on this:

Capture_zpsb58fd037.jpg

the other day :(

pootleperkin

Visit site
It is very difficult to know what to do.....I'm not mega-into showing, I just wanted to go to HOYS! I am very into my dressage, so that's safe enough, but he has such a good jump and enjoys it. He won his debut ODE around a BE track this summer on 25.5 penalties, won a reserve showing championship and was still doing well at the dressage. So what do you from April until October? I guess next year I will have the girl out too who is like a bulldozer, so maybe take her to do the jumping and just take it easy with G if we qualify. Have to say, after this I felt like never jumping again!

When I took him jumping that day, we had travelled for 50 min to use the facilities. we had been there 2 weeks previously and had had a lovely time - he was really into it and trying, so I wanted to replicate that. When I arrived, I found I had forgotten to put any stirrups and leathers on the saddle (first karmic sign!), borrowed some, worked him on the flat and he was like a stuck pig, despite having been wonderful at home in the field the day before. I should have known then. Proceeded to jump and he was knocking everything down, just small stuff. Decided he should buck his ideas up a bit, so took him down to an upright, only about 3 ft, and he took a long one, hit it hard and nearly landed on his nose, then stopped with foot in air. Desperation is not the word.

Anyway, lesson learned, sometimes the horse just isn't up for it and given he is the most obliging chap 99% of the time, I shouldn't push it, as horrid, sad things happen. Even if I have driven 50 mins to jump! Way too many tears have been spent over this and I feel stupid about being so sad as there are far worse things happening in the world!!

pootleperkin

Visit site
You will qualify again, for sure :)

It's gutting at the time but there are always more opportunities.

Horses always like to keep you on your toes... I'm currently keeping everything crossed for Fig, who stood on this:

Capture_zpsb58fd037.jpg

the other day :(

Nikki, I saw that on FB!!! Scary stuff!! How is he doing? I guess just after G's grass sickness, mystery lameness, sarcoids, sweet itch etc etc I really thought that this time we had our fairy tale break!! lol

Lynsey&Smartie

Visit site
It is very difficult to know what to do.....I'm not mega-into showing, I just wanted to go to HOYS! I am very into my dressage, so that's safe enough, but he has such a good jump and enjoys it. He won his debut ODE around a BE track this summer on 25.5 penalties, won a reserve showing championship and was still doing well at the dressage. So what do you from April until October? I guess next year I will have the girl out too who is like a bulldozer, so maybe take her to do the jumping and just take it easy with G if we qualify. Have to say, after this I felt like never jumping again!

When I took him jumping that day, we had travelled for 50 min to use the facilities. we had been there 2 weeks previously and had had a lovely time - he was really into it and trying, so I wanted to replicate that. When I arrived, I found I had forgotten to put any stirrups and leathers on the saddle (first karmic sign!), borrowed some, worked him on the flat and he was like a stuck pig, despite having been wonderful at home in the field the day before. I should have known then. Proceeded to jump and he was knocking everything down, just small stuff. Decided he should buck his ideas up a bit, so took him down to an upright, only about 3 ft, and he took a long one, hit it hard and nearly landed on his nose, then stopped with foot in air. Desperation is not the word.

Anyway, lesson learned, sometimes the horse just isn't up for it and given he is the most obliging chap 99% of the time, I shouldn't push it, as horrid, sad things happen. Even if I have driven 50 mins to jump! Way too many tears have been spent over this and I feel stupid about being so sad as there are far worse things happening in the world!!

Don't be silly, yes there are worse things happening in the world but that doesn't mean that this wasn't important to you in your world! I bought a lovely horse 3 years ago who has been 5th at HOYS as a middleweight hunter 2 years previously for me to show and do working hunter with, truly the nicest horse I've ever sat on and a lovely person too and we have done a total of 2 shows in 3 years due to recurrent lameness issues, heartbreaking but it's a good job I love him!

I think you have done brilliantly to qualify for HOYS if you aren't big into showing and if the judges liked him then there should be no reason why you shouldn't qualify again next year as long as he comes sound, I think they usually have some/all of the same judges each year. If you are looking for something to do with him over the summer, I know of a residential showing camp in May which I am booked onto, I went a few years ago and it's great fun and lots of good instruction, let me know if you are interested and I will get the details for you.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Nikki, I saw that on FB!!! Scary stuff!! How is he doing? I guess just after G's grass sickness, mystery lameness, sarcoids, sweet itch etc etc I really thought that this time we had our fairy tale break!! lol

You do seem to have had more than your fair share of crud recently :(

He seems to be ok... A bit tender and cautious about that foot, understandable! But poultice has no traces of blood or pus/discharge on it :)

pootleperkin

Visit site
Don't be silly, yes there are worse things happening in the world but that doesn't mean that this wasn't important to you in your world! I bought a lovely horse 3 years ago who has been 5th at HOYS as a middleweight hunter 2 years previously for me to show and do working hunter with, truly the nicest horse I've ever sat on and a lovely person too and we have done a total of 2 shows in 3 years due to recurrent lameness issues, heartbreaking but it's a good job I love him!

I think you have done brilliantly to qualify for HOYS if you aren't big into showing and if the judges liked him then there should be no reason why you shouldn't qualify again next year as long as he comes sound, I think they usually have some/all of the same judges each year. If you are looking for something to do with him over the summer, I know of a residential showing camp in May which I am booked onto, I went a few years ago and it's great fun and lots of good instruction, let me know if you are interested and I will get the details for you.

Thanks Lynsey&Smartie - a good few people in the know had said that he was just the judges type and they thought he would do very well at HOYS.....more reason for devastation - lol. Yes, I think it will be the same judges next year, so hopefully, barring him knocking fences over/stopping (we qualified in riding club show horse) we will be in with a shout. I think Mr Ramsay was pretty keen on him when he was stripped off. He's the brown horse in my signature and links to our SFAS pics from this thread : http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?609085-SFAS-report-We-qualified!&highlight=SFAS

The camp sounds interesting...I'm actually the laziest person in the world, so should never even think about showing, but I'm also fiercely competitive so can motivate myself when I have to! It would be good to learn more about ring craft and handling, plus he goes well for me, but not so well for a judge who doesn't want to keep him between hand and leg, so any tips in general would be well learned. Where is it held? I'm in Cumbria..... PM me if you like :D

tls

Visit site
Oh no i'm gutted for you :( I've qualified sfas workers this year and my pony came in with heat in her leg yesterday. I'm hoping she will be ok. xxxx

pootleperkin

Visit site
Oh fingers crossed for you tls, go and stand her in a stream!! Thanks Kirsty.

My boy is looking well - I walked him out yesterday for the first time and the leg is still pain free and cool so all pointing towards a hopefully swift recovery now, just not in time! I managed to give him some limited turnout today too and he was so happy munching grass!

pootleperkin

Visit site
Well, just a quick HOYS report.....

So unfortunately I spent the day wandering round feeling a bit sick, slightly tortured by the fact our name was in the programme but we weren't competing!

I hadn't been to HOYS before, so checked everything out in the hope that we do qualify again and I'll know what I am on with. I thought the Caldene arena was great - good atmosphere and not too spooky - the horses seemed to go really well in there. I watched the larger M&M workers who were great, Pony Club games in the main arena and then went to watch the SFAS classes.

The format is nice and informative with the judges commenting; first in were the riding horses/hacks and that was very difficult to judge. I think it is 'China' from off here who was riding in that. Unfortunately she was not placed, but everyone looked very smart and professional. I had a tough time deciding who the judges would pull in - Katie Jerram, Claire and Robert Oliver had that task.

Then on to the riding club show horse, the class I should have been in :(

I spoke to Hattikins off here who was also riding in the class, just before they all went in - Jack was looking lovely. They all did a go round then were pulled into line for the jumping.
The jumps were fine, just a plain upright and and smallish oxer - I would 2'9 - 3' max. Surprisingly, only two jumped clear - loads had the upright down and one refused!

Even with that in mind, I was mega surprised when the horse that won had had one down. I think one of the clears was second and the other fifth. The judges seemed very focused on the horses' outlook and attitude and their ability to do the job in hand. They stressed that for RCSH they wanted an 'anyone's' ride horse, something you could lend to a friend who came for a visit. It was a hard class to judge I think, particularly with all of the poles on the floor and so many different types of horse in the final. Of course I was rather gutted that G and I weren't in the ring - I think he would have done well.

Anyway, congrats to the winner who I know vaguely as she lives not far from me and events. Hattikins did super well too - congrats on getting to HOYS everyone. Here's hoping I'm there next year!