Well she is clipped

SSM

Visit site
Simple for so many of you, but I was warned that the Donkey was a nightmare to clip - so I'd spent many hours working with trimmers, could hold them on her running etc. So I went off and invested in a pair of the Whal cordless clippers - well madam did not like these one bit - was not allowed near her with them running - teeth, front and rear feet flying
shocked.gif
So I decided to go down the sedation route, over which there has been much controversy of late.

So yesterday I woke up at 2am and lay awake fretting about the whole clipping issue (I am quite good at finding things to fret over!!!!!!) Anyway yesterday lunchtime Heidi the wonder person (armed with Alfie dog as backup) came up to the yard to help. We gave her the sedalin (Donkey not Heidi
grin.gif
) and waited for what seemed like ages - Donkey just seemed her usual dozy self
tongue.gif
. Then we slipped the twitch on her and I started - I was so nervous, not of being attacked but hurting her that my hands were shaking like a leaf - so my clipping lines are more than a little wobbly!!!!!!!!!! Anyway she was fantastic (well I would too if I was twitched and doped) let us clip everywhere without any type of struggle whatsoever until we did the soft folds in between the legs and her face - so she is a little raggy under her legs and her face is 1/4 clipped - we felt that as she had been so good that it was not worth ending on a fight to have a perfect face! At the end we took the twitch off and neatened her up with the clippers - and she was an angel!!!

I cannot praise those clippers enough - they are quiet, do not heat up and do the job! Now the clipping person has to remember how to get straight lines!!!!!!

Also a special thanks to Heidi for her patience (of which she needed lots) and her time.

It will be a pleasure to ride her tonight, knowing she should not get hot and sweaty.

Will post some before and afters in the Gallery

KatB

Visit site
Fantastic news! And TBH I would prefer a horse have some sedalin and be chilled, then it turn into a dangerous and stressful situation! Fantastic, well done!!
grin.gif

WallisM

Visit site
Can I just ask what sedative you used ?
If you read my post in the New lounge called "need your advice please"
I used some and to me it didn't make much if any difference.
How long did you have to wait ?
x

Tempi

Visit site
it says sedalin in OP...........

people at my yard have used sedalin sucessfully on their horses to clip. however it dosent work on my mare, she has to be fully sedated.

WallisM

Visit site
Well I used Sedazine, Read instructions carefully used a little less than the recommened amount as friend advised me to, And like I say it had really no affect on my lad. Think am gonna have to get him sedated my the vet as he looks dreadful I won't be taking him anywhere
shocked.gif
!
Thanks
x

icestationzebra

Visit site
Brilliant news! Glad it worked. It is so much better to go down this route than struggle with stressed horse and stressed owner and risk someone getting hurt. Well done! Let us know if she is a little 'fresh' this evening!!
grin.gif