Well, what a surprise

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
:eek:

So, Ive been deliberating for weeks about taking my boy barefoot. Are his feet good enough? Do I know enough? What about his diet? Will it affect our trips out? He's a big boy, will he be ok? Will he have any pain? La de dah de .... You've heard it all before!

So today the farrier was booked for shoeing a few of the neds on the yard, including mine. My friend is in her words 'a traditionalist' and I mentioned to her that I was thinking about discussing my plan with the farrier and get his educated opinion... She's not keen but each to their own she said....

So after about half an hour i managed to pluck up the courage to meekly mention it under my breath and then stood back waiting for the laughter and ridicule.....To my surprise he told me my boy has excellent feet, good strong horn and healthy soles and frogs, and he will absolutely work with us if it's what I want to do. In fact he said now (today :eek:) is a great time as the ground is soft and he can prep / trim as required.... He took the time to explain what may happen over the next weeks, how to react, and to call him if I need to. And... He did it all foc... And with a big smile on his face... I was / am.... gobsmacked!!!!

So there you go... We're now barefoot... Farrier was supportive, encouraging and very positive that he will be just fine... Whoop whoop

fjordhorsefan

Visit site
My farrier is also supportive of leaving unshod if possible. My horse has pretty good feet, so he is happy to trim. I will shoe if needed though, but he was storming across a load of rocks today with no problem at all!

RoobyDoobs

Visit site
My farrier is also supportive of leaving unshod if possible. My horse has pretty good feet, so he is happy to trim. I will shoe if needed though, but he was storming across a load of rocks today with no problem at all!

Superb!!! I hope that will be us in a couple of months storming across rocks and all sorts of different terrain. :)