Wellies or Yard Boots?

PStarfish

Visit site
I am totally fed up with every pair of wellies I buy splitting within 3 months of wearing them. I have tried cheapies through to mid-range (£50 quid or so) but its the same thing over again.
I have now decided that I am willing to spend, IF it means I get a pair of wellies that last.
Any reccomendations? Or what about yard boots - Ariats or similar - would these be waterproof enough to cope with a wet muddy field?

I'm off to YHL at the weekend so hopefully will pick up a bargain but I don't know where to start.

PStarfish

Visit site
Thanks. Yes had those on my 'to look at' list. Just want good hard wearing waterproof footwear! Seems to be like the holy grail!!

Irishbabygirl

Visit site
I've trashed my Dubarrys from wearing them in all weathers and to muck out in / stomp across muddy fields etc...so now only wear in the cold dry weather and wellies for mud and wet.

Cocorules

Visit site
I wear cheap walking boots mostly but wellies when it is really wet. Ok maybe this year it has been really wet so wellies more. I found hunters did not last so only buy cheap imitations now.

Sprig

Visit site
Cheap Dunlop green wellies. I pay £15 a pair for mine from Countrywide/Scats/Ebay. I spend most of the day in them, in the garden doing the horses and walking the dogs. They tend to last me a year - longer than any of the expensive wellies I have bought, and I have tried a lot. Dunlop make tyres - looks like it pays to buy from people who know about durable rubber.

travelmad

Visit site
I bought Tyne muck boots as yOu can ride in them, and I was really happy to buy them instead of country boots as I am hard on shoes and my Calgary country boots only lasted a few months! Now I have what is essentially a welly, a riding boot, and the warmest booted I have ever owned!

Sessle

Visit site
I had to get a pair of steel toe capped ones and got Buck Bootz...hate the things, forever rubbing my heels raw :( I did have some Ariat mudbusters though and they seemed to last forever!

Slightly Foxed

Visit site
I fear Ariat Mudmusters have gone the same way as Hunters. My original pair lasted years, being worn every day in the winter on heavy clay mud. The next pair I got lasted two months before they leaked at the seams.

I'm on the second replacement pair now, I' m assured the factory in China has been changed. However, I just might buy a ten quid pair of wellies from Tesco and see how long they last. I could get seven pairs for one pair of Ariats at this rate!

ponypilotmum

Visit site
I have the ariat grasmeres and they're awful. Only had them a few months before they leaked and cracked and split. I looked after them properly too :(

I've had my muck co boots for years and they're lovely. So so warm, 100% waterproof and comfy too. I can walk miles in them in rain or snow and know they'll keep me dry and warm.

redriverrock

Visit site
I was told by my mum to try the Dunlops...she does alot of gardening and practically lives in them...was fed up spending a fortune so got a pair for £12,have had the same pair for more than a year and they are still waterproof with no splits etc...have very muddy fields to walk through and do everything outdoorsie in them.

Oliver12

Visit site
Cheap Dunlop green wellies. I pay £15 a pair for mine from Countrywide/Scats/Ebay. I spend most of the day in them, in the garden doing the horses and walking the dogs. They tend to last me a year - longer than any of the expensive wellies I have bought, and I have tried a lot. Dunlop make tyres - looks like it pays to buy from people who know about durable rubber.

True. My cheapo wellies from Jonathan James cost a fiver and lasted 10 years or so.

teasle

Visit site
Another vote for dunlop welllies and I bought some insoles from boots that make them more comfortable if I do a lot of walking in them. They last at least 2 years and often longer.