welsh section D

Lornaj

New User
Visit site
Hi there

looking for some general feedback, thinking of purchasing a welsh section d who has a lovely nature, very green but very willing, i did however notice that she has a lot of over bend I am use to my TB who really throws his head in the air and he is very sensitive in the mouth, I am going back a second time to try wondered if anybody could give me there opinion on the welsh and the training attitude, just starting very low level dressage at the moment, not sure if i should try to take more contact with her ?

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
This might be better in new lounge for more responses

In general Welshies are inclined to duck behind the contact as their evasion, and need to be encouraged to take it forwards and always think 'out' even once they are fairly well established. I wouldn't take a stronger contact if I were trialling her I would see if I could encourage her to poke her nose instead.

SpringArising

Visit site
Welsh Ds can usually be found thinking the world's out to get them, breathing fire, or creating an absolute drama for nothing!

I've just bought another one and I have no idea why, the first one was a nightmare and this one is too. But you sort of learn to love them. You either click with them or you don't.

ester

Visit site
haha SA :D, I keep trying to convince myself I should get something else for the next one now F is semi-retired... then I seem to keep looking at welshies!

SpringArising

Visit site
haha SA :D, I keep trying to convince myself I should get something else for the next one now F is semi-retired... then I seem to keep looking at welshies!

Save yourself while you still can!

I really need to start getting mine out and about but I just know what a PITA he's going to be so keep thinking, meh, maybe next weekend when I can be bothered to keep up with his antics. It's bad enough just getting him up the drive at home, no idea how he's going to cope at a show :eek3:

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Save yourself while you still can!

I really need to start getting mine out and about but I just know what a PITA he's going to be so keep thinking, meh, maybe next weekend when I can be bothered to keep up with his antics. It's bad enough just getting him up the drive at home, no idea how he's going to cope at a show :eek3:

lol, I still can't get mine up the drive at home but she's become quite civilised at shows :D

ihatework

Visit site

Go for a part-bred, tame the welshiness slightly.
Just make sure you buy something with the best bits of both breeds :D

SpringArising

Visit site
lol, I still can't get mine up the drive at home but she's become quite civilised at shows :D

Can you send over some good vibes? He's only been here two months and has already almost crushed my OH to death after we tried to hose him off, has managed to break through post and rail, shot off across the field as soon as I tried to mount leaving me in the dirt :rolleyes3:, went from 0-60 when being long lined and took me water skiing with him and took off with me in the field and only stopped when he'd physically exhausted himself (and me).

Ester, did you still want that Welsh? He's very pretty, I promise...

milliepops

Visit site
Can you send over some good vibes? He's only been here two months and has already almost crushed my OH to death after we tried to hose him off, has managed to break through post and rail, shot off across the field as soon as I tried to mount leaving me in the dirt :rolleyes3:, went from 0-60 when being long lined and took me water skiing with him and took off with me in the field and only stopped when he'd physically exhausted himself (and me).

Ohhh been through all that, plus the galloping off down the road when trying to load :D :D breaking the stable when just *deciding* to exit, numerous rugs and headcollars destroyed...

They are so very pretty though <3 :D

ester

Visit site

Haha :D

I half have one lined up at a friends, I'm hoping she's got him through all those bits. I say half because I need to eat less or he needs to grow a bit more really!

Mine's a good boy compared to most, but in the year he has been home mum still doesn't seem to have got to grips with predicting him- but it does make her email updates amusing.... she has currently banned him from going off road with her due to a whip round head the other way while she was trying to have a mooch incident. He was most put out when his scoot forward incident to have a sneaky canter didn't work with me yesterday. Currently considering another cushings test but for something who has always been inherently lazy we seem to have the opposite of any lethargy issues atm!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Go for a part-bred, tame the welshiness slightly.
Just make sure you buy something with the best bits of both breeds :D

Having had and loved both I can confirm that this isn't true, you just end up with a faster nutjob :D

Ester found me a PB 2 years ago - perhaps she was waiting to see whether IHW's theory worked or not! ;) :D

JJS

Visit site
Oh goodness! You're all making me wonder what I have to look forward to when Flower foal grows up. I already have a newfound (and rather alarming) understanding of just what 'being Welsh' means :D

SpringArising

Visit site
Oh goodness! You're all making me wonder what I have to look forward to when Flower foal grows up. I already have a newfound (and rather alarming) understanding of just what 'being Welsh' means :D

There's being Welsh, and then being Welsh D.

I've decided B will have his first outing on Saturday. Wish us luck - we'll need it :eek3:

milliepops

Visit site
They are not for everyone but if you get a good one and you click you have a horse of a lifetime.

^^ah true. I do love mine, I accept the things she doesn't enjoy and she tries jolly hard at the stuff she does like. She has been a bit of a brute along the way though :D

ester

Visit site
Mine isn't particularly mad at all, well no more mad than his owner, and mad enough that it's ok to dress him up as puss in boots, and james bond in a single day an him not have an identity crisis :).

ihatework

Visit site
Well my part bred is pretty damn sane so far! Good job given how huge it is.
Nothing other than normal big green just backed Horse behaviour. Long may it continue ...

angrybird1

Visit site
Good. Was just worried that anyone reading this thread would think they are all raving lunatics!
I know they can be a bit self opinionated but that's what makes them special