welsh stallion with one testicle will i geld

starrthomas

Visit site
my welsh a stallion 4 years old in july has only one testicle will he drop the other one?
i bought him as a foal as a potential stallion so i am disappointed.
will i geld him
crazy.gif

spaniel

Visit site
You need to take advice from your vet.

The longer you leave an undescended testicle the more difficult it is to geld them. The undescended one WILL need to be removed.

vicijp

www.vicijpricehorses.co.uk
The other one is unlikely to drop now. Some horses stay a rig without problems (TB stalion Selkirk for example), however most dont do very well and have attitude issues.
I had a rig at 3yo who was the nastiest piece of work I have ever come across (chuck 17hh and built like a brick proverbial into the mix). Why the owners never got him sorted I dont know, but heard that at about 7yo he was put down as it had fused the spine.
Personally would have gelded long before now, nearly always stunts their growth (aforementioned rigs full brother was 18hh).

Bossanova

Visit site
No he wont drop it now. Safest thing is to geld- he may be fertile still but the problem is thought to be herediatry so best not to breed.

starrthomas

Visit site
i have spoken with my vet and she says there is a 10% chance of it dropping but she wants to sediate him to see if she can feel the missing testicle if she can't i think you are right and i have him gelded trouble is he is a spot on specimen of his breed relly good pony other than his missing parcel

Louby

Visit site
I could be wrong and I hope I am but I was lead to believe in this case stallions usually need a GA to remove both 'balls' as one is retained otherwise you could end up with a rig.
Also at 4 he is quite old to have it done the normal way.
Good luck, I hope either Im wrong or his missing ball drops.

star

Visit site
unfortunately cryptorchidism is thought to be hereditary, so if he has retained a testicle, then he ought to be gelded. He'll need a GA to go searching for the other ball which makes it quite a big op and expensive, but if you leave the retained testicle inside you'll have all sorts of problems with him being a rig and there's also a higher chance of the retained testicle turning cancerous.

SirenaXVI

s17.photobucket.com
Sadly I think he has to be graded by the Welsh Pony Society (but I could be wrong) to breed and they will fail him if he has retained a testicle, it is hereditary and would be best to geld him quite honestly

Tempest

Visit site
Get the vet to undertake a proper examination but at that age it would be very unusual for the undecended testical to appear now and the likelihood is that your horse is indeed monorchid.

Because the condition is inherited, the only case for not castrating a cryptorchid is when it is suspected that it is a case of temporary inguinal retention. This means allowing enough time for the retained testicle to descend. If it hasn’t appeared in the scrotum by the time the horse is three years of age, it should be treated as a case of permanent retention and castrated accordingly

The surgical procedure for castrating a monorchid is more involved than the normal castration procedure so the length of time the horse is anaethetised for is greater. Usually there is no way of knowing where the retained testicle is positioned until the horse is fully relaxed and lying on its back. Careful dissection over the inguinal canal will allow the veterinarian to determine its location.

You would be wise to talk things over with your vet

starrthomas

Visit site
thanks to everyone who replied
my vet has suggested a weeks course of a new hormone drug which has had sucess before however i think gelding him might be the best option