Welshie experts, tell me what you know!

JJS

Visit site
I'm bored and ill on a Friday night, so to occupy me, could anyone who knows their stuff take a look at Flower's sire and tell me what you can about his bloodlines?

http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/tresorya+llyw+sulien

What sort of temperaments are in there? What sizes, colours, markings, talents? I find this sort of stuff fascinating but sadly have no real knowledge of the breed myself.

Thanks in advance :)

Visit site
Yours isn't too inbred which is rare for a Welsh cob. Plenty of variety.

My mum's lad is littered with Nebo and Derwen cobs. I absolutely LOVE Derwen Railway Express and Derwen Rosinas Last!

Clannad48

Visit site
Lot of Nebo on the Sire side - we have a welsh mare with also a lot of Nebo also mainly on the sire side although ours also has some on the dam side - lovely paces, typical welsh bolshy temperament if she feels like it, easy to do and kind with very young children and inexperienced riders - she is now 26 and taught my daughter more than any instructor ever could. If I could find another one like our mare I would.

As to types - our mare is 14.1hh, bay with a 'kind eye'. She is from the Tymor stud line. if you want to compare bloodlines she is Tymor Teleri on allbreedpedigree. She was originally a jump pony and won everything going - POYS etc. Loved cross country and excelled at pony club activities. When she got a little older we decided to try her at dressage - everyone told us that she would never make a good dressage competitor. Within a year she won competition after competition including being placed at championships (beating the DC of the Pony Club who told us that she would never be any good at it). To be honest she is one of the best ponies I have ever had the pleasure of owning. Yes she can be a 'mare' but that is her character - never nasty just a character.

blodwyn1

Visit site
Pipersgreen song of the stars was a stunning palomino stallion. I have owned two grand daughters of nebo black magic one by Derwen railway express who is 19 and still in work and my first cob who was by goyallt magic flyer who lived to 27 both black and wonderful mares. The stallion your foal is by is surprisingly free of the inbreeding of a lot of cobs(line breeding!)

SpottyMare

Visit site
lovely paces, typical welsh bolshy temperament if she feels like it, easy to do and kind with very young children and inexperienced riders - she is now 26 and taught my daughter more than any instructor ever could. If I could find another one like our mare I would.

Sounds like my gelding. Apart from being kind to inexperienced riders - if he doesn't understand what you're asking he gets very impatient and irritable :D He is a kind horse though and very gentle with small children. He's definitely teaching me how to ride. He also loves jumping but takes a fairly dim view of the rider having any input into the approach to a jump...

Templebar

Visit site
I have one who is Nebo on the sire side and unknown on the mares. She is chestnut, not marish as far as seasons go but she is opinionated and its for the most part her way or the highway. Except for small young riders where she is a star, where she can be strong with me with them she is a darling. Nice jump, could do dressage but wasn't taught enough at a young enough age for it to stick and became too solid.

Clannad48

Visit site
I have one who is Nebo on the sire side and unknown on the mares. She is chestnut, not marish as far as seasons go but she is opinionated and its for the most part her way or the highway. Except for small young riders where she is a star, where she can be strong with me with them she is a darling. Nice jump, could do dressage but wasn't taught enough at a young enough age for it to stick and became too solid.

They are never too old to learn dressage - we didn't start ours to do dressage until she was 16/17 years old - she has a half pass to die for and lovely floaty feet.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
quite, I discovered what proper bend was on holiday riding schoolmasters when Frank was 21, at which point he got a bit confused because the rules changed as we were going to do things better :D. We nailed the half pass one way before he retired from schooling at 23, but I was a bit wonky the other. He's spent most of his life looking very correct so getting away with it but not really being so.