Went on my first hound exercise!

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
Well yesterday I bit the bullet and took Kasper on a local hound exercise with the four shires bloodhounds. Neither me or him have ever been huntign before so it was a whole new experience.

It was a really quiet met with only 10 riders in the field so ideal for us first timers. Kasper's youthful exhuberance shone through with him initially thinking that you had to go as fast as you could when every one cantered giving my biceps quite a workout.
After a bit he started to get the hang of it and he thoroughly enjoyed the jumping.

We bowed out at the half way port stop as I was really pleased with how Kasper had done but he had tired quickly in his keenness and I didnt want to over do it with him, I however would have gladly continued!

As usual I had my headcam on and have made one of my little videos. It's 15 minutes long but i've furnished it with some catchy pop music to keep you entertained whilst you watch.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJImZn5auNg

Last edited:

Charlie007

Visit site
Wow!!!! Would absolutely love to do that with my new boy but not yet brave enough. Have been many times before on previous horses and have absolutely loved it!! Lovely horse x

tallywhacker

Visit site
Lovely video, looks like you both had a fab time! :)

Tallywhacker where are you based? I've been trying to buck up the courage to contact the Beaufort :D

Chipping sodbury! Just waiting for the information on hound excercise to go up. They have been using bikes at the moment. Come on...whats the worst that can happen 😂😂

silv

Visit site
Love the video, you can sense his enjoyment, he really "locks on" to the jumps, glad you posted a photo of him at the end as I was wondering what the rest of him looked like. He is lovely, you must be so pleased with him.

ihatework

Visit site
Chipping sodbury! Just waiting for the information on hound excercise to go up. They have been using bikes at the moment. Come on...whats the worst that can happen 😂😂

I'm toying with taking my dressage horse out with Beaufort on Wednesday. That could be the worst thing to happen, lol!!!

Bernster

Visit site
Great video. Really enjoyed it, although feel knackered just watching! Looks like you both had fun. And some of those jumps are pretty meaty. Nothing beats a good hoon around the countryside!

WelshD

Visit site
fab. thoroughly enjoyed watching that thank you for posting it

Thought you were very clever to go deep in to corners to prevent him getting too far ahead

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
fab. thoroughly enjoyed watching that thank you for posting it

Thought you were very clever to go deep in to corners to prevent him getting too far ahead

You noticed my trick then, lol!
Being his first time he thought that it was okay to try and get to the front despite me telling him to steady up so I had to employ tactics to try and keep him back. We did end up mostly at the front but thankfully did manage to stay behind the field master, everyone was very patient and kind to us (i'm sure they were secretly a bit cheesed off, lol!). Hopefully if I am able to take him some more he will learn he can just hold his position in the group.

EmmaB

Visit site
I've just realised who you are! I've seen some of your other xc headcam vids on here! I was parked next to you, on the liver chestnut with my friend on the coloured cob. Glad you had a good time, he did really well for his first time out!

Sorry if I got in your way at any point, my horse was being ridiculous that day, I swear he isn't usually so badly behaved (I have previous headcam proof that he can be good haha!), I was so embarrassed that he played up so much!

Might see you out again at some point :) we try to go to as many with the Four Shires as we can but some are a bit far from us.

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I've just realised who you are! I've seen some of your other xc headcam vids on here! I was parked next to you, on the liver chestnut with my friend on the coloured cob. Glad you had a good time, he did really well for his first time out!

Sorry if I got in your way at any point, my horse was being ridiculous that day, I swear he isn't usually so badly behaved (I have previous headcam proof that he can be good haha!), I was so embarrassed that he played up so much!

Might see you out again at some point :) we try to go to as many with the Four Shires as we can but some are a bit far from us.

Ah a fellow HHOer!
You didnt get in my way at all, I was the one worrying i was annoying people by overtaking (which i was trying very hard not to, lol!).
I loved your boy he looked really up for it and your friends cob was awesome :D
I'd like to go again when i can fit it in as long as it's not too far away as I only stable 7 miles from where we met on saturday and i understand that was unusually outside your normal area.
Might see you again :)

EmmaB

Visit site
Haha a little too up for it if you ask me! You pair looked nicely in control :D

We keeps our by Cannock chase so Lichfield was good for us, but some go further Derbyshire way which can get a bit far. Another nice hunt is the Burne bloodhounds, they are a similar area and are really friendly. They have a ride in Stafford in a couple of weeks which I'm hoping we can get to!