Went to A&E last night.

Potato!

Visit site
Completely my fault though as I knew what mood Taio was in as he had been in for a few days. During a lunging session yesterday evening were he had several bucks after he seemed to settle and work nicely I asked him to stop and walked towards him to change the reign, sent him out on the circle and he kicked out and caught my hand. The pain was unreal but I decided I I needed to carry on. When I put him away I took my glove off and there was a huge lump the the base of my thumb right at the joint so I thought oh great I’ve dislocated it. Finished up at the yard and drove home very carefully as it was my left hand and had to be very careful changing gear.

Mum drove me to the hospital where I was x-rayed within 10 minutes and then had to wait, Thank fully nothing broken or dislocated but very swollen and they said that the ligaments are very bruised and strained. They have put a support plaster on my thumb as said not to remove it for 5 -7 days as it will give some support to the ligaments.

It’s easy to forget how much you use your thumb until you can’t use it. Bless the girls at the yard they have sorted Taio out for me this morning, and the A&E department as I was only there for a hour.

Archangel

Visit site
Oh bad luck, I got kicked on the elbow like that, luckily just span me round :eek:

It is awful when a limb is out of action, things like going to the loo take forever. Hope it is not too painful and plaster is not too itchy.

Spyda

Visit site
Ouch. Easily done though. I've just been dodging hind feet too, lunging this morning. It's nothing nasty - just high jinx in a young horse but still blinking hurts if you get caught. Hope it's not painful for too long. :)

Tash88

Visit site
Ouch, that sounds really painful - hope you make a speedy recovery. It must have been 'Injury Monday' yesterday - I was putting some cream on my horse's near fore and he lifted his foot and caught me on the forehead. No malice in it whatsoever, was my fault really as I was looking where I was putting the cream at the same time so my head was in the wrong place. There was loads of blood and I nearly passed out; I just have a lovely bump and a bruise coming out. Luckily I have a fringe to cover it up with!

Potato!

Visit site
Well I made it through the day in the office. OMG I didn't realise just how much you need your thumbs until today. Went up to the yard at lunchtime where YO refused to let me muck out as I need to rest and she brought in and fed Taio for me. I told her that I would do him in the morning but said not to worry as she doesn't mind. I will go up and feed him though as I feel bad about everyone running around for me.

Montyforever

Visit site
I know the feeling! I dislocated my shoulder in December, but within a couple of days of doing it I was mucking out with one hand (skip bucket and gloves!) doing haynets, doing a million trips with a smaller bucket to do the waters and just got used to only using one arm quite quickly. It was frustrating but it beat the broken toes, I could at least get around easily!!

TandD

Visit site
feeling for you!!!! my thumb was in plaster cos it was fractured and all ligaments pulled/torn :( got it suck on my saddle and pulled back as the horse bucked!!! after 4 weeks stuck in a cast i forgot how to use it!!!!!

very annoying! but you'll learn to use your cast! also enjoy the time off :) very rare that we get it :D

Potato!

Visit site
I meant I support plaster as on elastic plaster but is cris cossed all the way down my thumb. I would have preferred it to be a cast as its too flexible and really hurts when I move it etc.