Went to see a horse; is this a fair price?

SpringArising

Visit site
Went to see a lovely 14.2, six year old grey gelding today for a friend.

A bit green but a real gent and didn't put a hoof wrong the entire time. He's been brought on slowly and has been on the odd outing for SJ/DR practice. Jumping 2'6/9 comfortably; hacks anywhere with anything and went first and last etc. Good to shoe/box/catch/clip and snaffle mouth. Works in a beautiful outline and has been ridden by both novices and experienced riders.

They're asking £3,500 - would you pay this or close to in today's market?

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Just wondering - if you didn't think the price was about right why did you/your friend go to see the horse?

mini-eventer

Visit site
Yes I would. I'd maybe offer 3000 and meet in the middle but it is an ok price, if he has scope to jump higher or very nice movement he could be worth more. Equally if he is plain workman like but fills all the boxes he is well priced. Not a bargain but you get what you pay for

misskk88

Visit site
For my horse of a lifetime- Yes I would pay that. It is rare to find genuinely decent, unblemished all rounders. Obviously that would be subject to a 5 stage vetting etc.

Lolo

Visit site
If he passes the vetting he sounds very well-priced, a proper find :) I was expecting double the price tbh, he's got such a good market as he's perfect PC height/ age but also big enough for small adults.

Echo24

Visit site
Yes I would say it's a fair price. No harm offering £3k to see if they will meet you halfway but I agree with the others, I would get a five stage vetting done.

Chestnut horse

Visit site
Sounds a very reasonable price to me for what he has done so far and from your description he sounds like he has lots of potential. As Jemima has mentioned I would not go and view a horse if I felt it was overpriced, and I think it is unfair to compare what obviously sounds like a well brought up, handled and trained youngster to poorly bred and often unwanted horses ie the 'would you pay this in today's market'...........decent horses are well worth the money.

Apercrumbie

Visit site
Sounds fair to me. You can get talented ponies for cheaper, but they'll inevitably be tricky and you can pay a hell of a lot more for something a year older than what you've found. As long as it passes the vetting, I'd say you've got a very good deal.

PorkChop

Visit site
If it's as good as you say and has sound conformation then I think he is worth the money - like the others have said, make sure you get a vetting done.

Elsiecat

Visit site
I'm really surprised by the responses. To me he is a little on the pricey side.
Is it a regional thing or am I just a cheapskate!?

_GG_

Visit site
I'm really surprised by the responses. To me he is a little on the pricey side.
Is it a regional thing or am I just a cheapskate!?

It's not potential and fab breeding that pulls the money all the time. There is a huge market nowadays for a safe all rounder that can tick all the boxes, but in reality, there aren't that many about, or if there are, they are older. A 6yr old as this one is described is worth its weight in gold to probably the biggest section of the buying market.

Visit site
Price sounds about right - you're paying for something which has been 'brought on slowly' which in my eyes is always far better than something which has been rushed and doesn't know whether it's coming or going!

Boulty

Visit site
If that horse is what they say it is then yes I'd say absolutely worth the money as that's the type of horse you're likely to want to hang onto for life. (and that type that a heck of a lot of people are desperate to find!) There's a lot to be said for a safe, sane horse that's anyone's ride, is well schooled, can turn a hoof to most things at a lowish level and hasn't been rushed. Had I found what you describe at that price when I'd been looking about a year ago I'd've bitten the seller's hand off! I used to own a pony who was the slightly older version of what you describe with maybe a few more quirks in that he could be strong (sadly he developed health problems that eventually led to pts) and there's a lot to be said for having a nice, easy to handle horse (god I miss him!)

Houndman

Visit site
As my grandad used to say, a horse is worth as much as the highest offer someone is prepared to make on it........... If you wait for the price to come down, you may be lucky, or someone else may beat you to it! It's a gamble.

There are quite a lot of good horses around at the moment very reasonably priced. There are also a lot that command very high prices.