WE'RE GOING TO CRUFTSSS!!!!!

amy_b

Visit site
First off, I want to apologies as I can't get pics!!! On my phone and don't have access to a comp! Sorry guys!!!
Next I have to apologies that I never introduced Daisy formally!
Anyway, mum bought herself a little treat in the form of a mini wire haired dachshund a couple of months ago, has been to a couple of local dog shows and ring craft classes but had their first proper show together today aged 7 months,we had really hoped she would come in the top 3 and qualify but on arriving saw 13 entered and both decided it would have to be a fun practice run. Went into the first class (minor puppy bitch) and she was the only one not to shy away from the judge when she walked towards her, let her check teeth without a fuss (after endless practice!!! :O) and trotted (is that correct terminology for a dog?!!) out nicely without looking like a rabbit in the headlights. Mum struggled to get her to look forwards on the last stand bit but then got pulled in FIRST!!!! So they both qualified for crufts on their first (proper/affiliated) show!!! How exciting!!!! Can't WAIT!!!
So, inside tips guys?!! Not talking dog stuff per se - We'r off to do our best and have an exciting day out. I'm talking where to park, good trade stands...where to eat...stuff to watch...!! :))))

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Congratulations, qualifying at first attempt is great. I've not shown at Crufts since its been at the NEC but have been as a spectator. Don't think you will have a lot of choice as to parking, you will probably be miles away but they run regular shuttle buses to the halls. The food is expensive, but there is quite a lot of choice. Can't recommend any particular trade stands but there are hundreds, doubt you will see all of them. Personally I won't leave a dog unattended on a bench, at Crufts or anywhere else, so you and your mum might want to operate shifts staying with your pup while the other looks around. I always love the agility, which now has its own ring I think.

emm0r

Visit site
Congratulations!!! :) my pup has her first show next week so hopefully we can follow in your footsteps!! :) well done you !!

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Me tooooooooooooooooooo my first time ever, with flodden my beddy :) I cannot wait. had a hideous year, and have not shown him since Easter this year as I just cannot afford it, but I am going to ask for his entry and my petrol money as my christmas present. and I am going to take him and enjoy every minute. I have so missed taking him out this past 9 months, but he has kept me sane, and although I have no chance against the seasoned Bedlingtons I don;t care :) I will be very very proud of my little chap.

satinbaze

Visit site
Crusts tips are as follows: take a folding chair for each person, never leave your dog alone on the bench, take packed lunch as food v expensive, drink plenty of fluids whilst there, take headache tablets, remember your dog pass, arrive in plenty of time as queues to get in can be long.
Dont forget the dog and ENJOY the day
Jane Hedges
Satinbaze flatcoated retrievers

MurphysMinder

Visit site
Oh God yes, I forgot the headache tablets! Don't know if its as bad at the NEC but people often used to come away from Crufts when it was at Earls Court with horrible coughs and sore throats, was always known as the Crufts cough.:p

{97702}

Visit site
I have to go to Crufts this year :( :(:(:( I nearly had a heart attack today when I saw they charge £14 EACH for adult spectators, PLUS parking :eek::eek::eek: Luckily my mum will get free passes to get me in!

Has anyone gone to Crufts at the NEC by train? I was just wondering if it would be an easier option (I'm not taking a dog)

ETA - to add to the Crufts tips - be ready to wash everything you are wearing as soon as you get home, indoor dog shows have their own distinct and particularly clinging smell.....

MurphysMinder

Visit site
That seems to have come round quickly Picklenash. Are you going in an "official" capacity with your mum cos you should get a posh free lunch too.:) I've been by train, from my end it meant a change at Birmingham and then the train takes you right into the NEC although I think there was a bit of a walk the other end, though not as far as from the car park if there are no buses about. I think the car park is about £8 now so depending on cost train might not be that much more expensive.

{97702}

Visit site
Thanks MM :) Yes, it has come around quickly....and although I am being a miserable old sod on here, there is no way in the world I would miss it really, my sister is coming too (with her 2 kids :eek:) so it will be a family outing :D

My sister and mum are driving up together from Oxfordshire but it will be much easier for me to go separately from Gloucestershire :) I will investigate train times I think, judging starts at 9am (FAR too early :D) although I did threaten to arrive 1/2 an hour before she handed the ticket out and then make a quick exit ;)

{97702}

Visit site
Oooo no - just checked train times etc (should have done that first!) I would have to change trains at least once to get there, and it takes an hour and a half! Car journey it is then :)

Inthemud

Visit site
I'm going for the first time too!

We're incredibly unlikely to get placed, but want to really enjoy it as a day out with the pupster.

satinbaze

Visit site
Car parking has gone up and is now £10. I have heard that they will be charging for disabled parking too but this is not confirmed

lottiepony

Visit site
congratulations to everyone that's going :) I went for the first time this year with my friend who had qualified with her husky. I really enjoyed it and would go again to watch as didn't really get to have a proper look round the shops of which there were hundreds!