West Lothian Local Knowledge Request!

FigJam

teamhopalong.blogspot.com
Hi,

I am currently looking for a yard in West Lothian (as close to Broxburn as possible!) that offers all year grass livery (DIY), has reasonable facilities (at least 1 school, indoor or out, and close to decent hacking) and most importantly, a space!

The current situation is that I currently loan a horse in East Lothian. However I am moving house to Broxburn this week and have given up that ride. The owner has offered to sell me the horse, so I can move her with me. I am very very tempted, however am now struggling to find suitable livery.
frown.gif

Does anyone know of anywhere near to Broxburn (willing to travel up to 10miles ish) that I could try?

Looks like hubby may get a great get-out clause if I can't find somewhere for her to live!
smirk.gif

FigJam

Thanks for the reply!

From the first link, unfortunately Houston Farm is full and Westmuir don't offer all year turnout, only availability was part livery at £65/wk, which is a steep jump from the £25/wk grass livery I pay at the moment!
crazy.gif
Hubby would most definitely say "no"!

The other link I have also tried every yard on there that is within about 10miles/resonable distance and all are either full or don't offer all year turnout.

I wish websites would keep themselves updated- there's so many yards I've alled who are now changed owners or stopped running a livery service years ago!

The search goes on!
frown.gif

Edited for stupid typos!
smirk.gif

FigJam

Hi, see above post I left regarding Houston Farm!
frown.gif
I used to get lessons there, so was hopeful as I know they're nice, but no luck! (also not sure what the hacking is like there? I only ever took lessons in the school there)

She passed me onto her daughter who has a yard nearby but they are also full.

FigJam

Thanks both of you!

The yard she's at at the moment is perfect- off road hacking for miles on end, indoor and outdoor schools, x-country jumps, show jumps... just too far to drive from Broxburn! (so I'm thinking the Borders would also have to come under that category!!!
wink.gif
)

We must be the only Scottish HHO-ers on today!

Will just keep phoning around, maybe go for a drive one weekend and look out for horses in fields then go knock on the nearest house's door!!!
grin.gif

zulu705

Visit site
Tack shop in Broxburn may know of some

EQUESTRIAN GOLD
7 GREENDUKES ROAD,
BROXBURN,
SCOTLAND
EH32 5AF

Tel: 01506 858 229
Fax: 01413 574 458

Also tack shop in Avonbridge which is about 15 miles away will prob know some too.

Central Saddlery
Drumbroider Farm
Avonbridge
Falkirk
FK1 2HN
Central
Tel: 01324 861229
Fax: 01324 861442

My horse is at livery about 20 miles from you so a bit too far.

FigJam

Thanks for the reply.

I called the guy from Forbes & Son and he doesn't do livery anymore.
frown.gif
He tried to think of some other folk to try contacting but only knew of Kirklands and it has changed hands, no new contact number around on the web, so it's a case of tracking down the yard and knocking on the door!

zulu705

Visit site
Theres also
The Grange Rding Centre in West Calder

Telephone: 01506 871219
Fax: 01506 871219

Tack shop, riding school not sure if they do livery.

FigJam

Have them on the list to call. Tried earlier but no answer.

(I think anyway, have called so many places it's hard remembering/deciphering my scribbles on my notepad which reason they all said "no" for!
frown.gif
)

I think the problem is they are all quite small yards compared with the ones out East Lothian way? Probably a bad time of year to be looking too!

FigJam

Thank you very much for the pointer! I have posted a "Wanted" thread on there, hopefully some more local knowledge on there too.

Will try googling Nethershield Farm for a contact number.

Shame about the tack shop in Broxburn being closed.
frown.gif
(Hubby will be happy though!
wink.gif
)

fizz-tally

Visit site
no probs,i had the number somewhere so will have a look,pity it has to be broxburn as where i am[balerno] we have a few really nice yards with indoor schools/lots of fab hacking
grin.gif

FigJam

If only there was a direct route from Balerno to Broxburn I'd probably consider it at the moment since finding somewhere near Broxburn appears to be a nightmare! Here was me thinking the tricky bit would be persuading hubby to say "yes"!!!
smirk.gif

Problem is I work at Crewe Toll so to get to Balerno on my way home is very out of the way according to the AA route finder!
frown.gif

Maybe we just need to move house again?! Actually... forget that, it's been stressful enough doing it once this year!!!