west weylands farm livery (Walton o-T) - how 100% competitiony?

clinkerbuilt

Visit site
As title really, I'm just wondering what other activities are supported/available in Hersham/Walton and whether a Poirier livery lifestyle is mostly or exclusively competition oriented.

thanks in advance for any opinions.

Surbie

Visit site
The people I've known stabled or working there have been very competitiony, but it's worth a visit I guess if it's nearest to you. The website says hacking is over Oxshott Common, but that's a few miles away and other than boxing out I am not sure how you would get there - also worth asking as the roads around there are pretty fast.

timbobs

Visit site
I don’t know much about the livery, but I know the location well. You do need to be comfortable on roads as you need to go to the roundabout on the main road to be able to turn off. It’s not far, but it is fast! About 5mins of total road work to get to the woods.
B970FF3F-FF01-4506-843D-E287F10E1825.jpeg

clinkerbuilt

Visit site
that's useful thanks. I've got to say, it's the wearing dullness of a big road that's off-putting in the longterm. Is there anywhere in the locality that doesn't have (busy) roadwork?

timbobs

Visit site
that's useful thanks. I've got to say, it's the wearing dullness of a big road that's off-putting in the longterm. Is there anywhere in the locality that doesn't have (busy) roadwork?
I don't really know many of the yards around there anymore, but there is one based on Garsons Farm that has very easy access to off road hacking. I think it's called Winterdown Livery. The layout is a little odd with the fields a long walk from the yard but it's in a good location with easy access to hacking.

Surbie

Visit site
Winterdown has lovely hacking and easy access to Esher Common and beyond - you can literally go for hours. It's by a river on a flood plain and if my memory is correct has flooded several times in the past. I don't know what they have done to fix this - given they are still going they must have put something in place.

I don't really know much in the Hersham/W-on-T area. Have you tried Google Maps to look for arenas? You might also try Livery List or the Surrey Horse and Pony FB page.

reynold

Visit site
Rode from Weylands in the 1970s and going on a hack then out onto that road on riding school horses used to the roads was terrifying.

As roads are so much busier now I cannot imagine going out onto that main road (and I'm not that bothered about riding on roads providing in high viz).

timbobs

Visit site
When I did it, I rode along the footpath to the roundabout as there is a verge between the path and the road. Not technically what you’re supposed to do, but it worked for me. You do need a horse that is absolutely rock solid on the road.

clinkerbuilt

Visit site
Winterdown has lovely hacking and easy access to Esher Common and beyond - you can literally go for hours. It's by a river on a flood plain and if my memory is correct has flooded several times in the past. I don't know what they have done to fix this - given they are still going they must have put something in place.

I don't really know much in the Hersham/W-on-T area. Have you tried Google Maps to look for arenas? You might also try Livery List or the Surrey Horse and Pony FB page.

Thanks so much for this - I am a big Google Maps scanner but hadn't spotted the Winterdown yard. It looks very tucked away. With timbobs' tips too I can now spot a couple of subdivided, grazed meadows down by the river, near to a surfaced school. There's more grazing across the river which seems to belong to another yard. What a shame there's no non-motor crossing across the Mole on that stretch - how much less subject to cars it would make people, across this green space.

This is a bit of blue-skies exploration for me right now, but transport links, variety for the horse and turnout are a difficult combo in this part of the world...

timbobs

Visit site
Thanks so much for this - I am a big Google Maps scanner but hadn't spotted the Winterdown yard. It looks very tucked away. With timbobs' tips too I can now spot a couple of subdivided, grazed meadows down by the river, near to a surfaced school. There's more grazing across the river which seems to belong to another yard. What a shame there's no non-motor crossing across the Mole on that stretch - how much less subject to cars it would make people, across this green space.

This is a bit of blue-skies exploration for me right now, but transport links, variety for the horse and turnout are a difficult combo in this part of the world...
Yes there’s quite a few yards on turners lane in Hersham which is on the other side of the mole but they have no access to any hacking which is a shame.

Southwood manor equestrian is on turners lane and liveries can hack round their land, but not sure how extensive that is.