West Wycombe Sponsored Ride

amycamycamyc

Visit site
Has anyone done the West Wycombe sponsored ride before? I just wondered if anyone knows how 'audience friendly' it is? My family may come to watch/support/walk around - is this possible? I know at Windsor they have 4x4s taking people around the course to different sections, is there anything like that? (my granny may come and she's not very sprightly (being 94!) so I need to check it woudnt be too difficult for her!)

Auslander

Visit site
It's quite hilly, and a long old walk! Plus there are usually people charging around completely out of control all over the place! I wouldn't take my granny!

melbiswas

Visit site
It's a lovely ride but there are very few places for spectators. It's generally hilly and winding.
Our local Pony Club used to be allowed round on a different day and we used to picnic near the stream crossing. I don't know if this is feasible when it's so busy and it is a good walk from the parking area.
I hope you have a wonderful time.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
Yes, if they park and then go left and head towards the water. Its not too far a walk. They will be able to see two water crossings and a fair few jumps. Thats where my husband and parents will be as plenty to watch. The water crossing can be quite entertaining at times :).

pairciban

Visit site
Sorry to butt in on your thread, those of you that have been before is it all on grass or is there road work as well? Is it likely to be muddy after all this rain? Thanks

eggs

Visit site
As others have said, it is long and hilly. Hardly any road work apart from a couple of road crossings.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
Has anyone done the West Wycombe sponsored ride before? I just wondered if anyone knows how 'audience friendly' it is? My family may come to watch/support/walk around - is this possible? I know at Windsor they have 4x4s taking people around the course to different sections, is there anything like that? (my granny may come and she's not very sprightly (being 94!) so I need to check it woudnt be too difficult for her!)

Many times and I love it and would go if my horse was not lame.

Leo Walker

Visit site
My boy was supposed to be going but I pulled out as I didnt think he was fit enough or had enough miles on the clock. I'm really glad I did knowing that its hilly and I wouldnt be able to watch, as someone else was going to ride him!

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I'm doing it this year, I used to do it regularly with my pony, last time I did it must be about 20 years ago!!! The ground should be good as around that area it drains well (I used to live in West Wycombe and kept my pony at a local DIY yard so knew the area well). I would go as far as to say it may even be a little hard in places unless we get a ton more rain before then and some parts can be a bit flinty due to the geology of the area.

The ride was always fun and I never had any issues with others galloping around inconsiderately. Never had that happen a Halton either. It's a lovely setting and although wouldn't be ideal for people on foot to try and walk the entire route, as Hapharzardhacker says, there are places where people can watch and enjoy the spectacle of the water. I'm looking forward to it as this will be the first time in years that I'll have done it and the first time with Samuel who was a complete superstar at Halton a couple of weeks ago :)

Doing these rides after all these years is a little like reliving my younger days LOL

Deltaflyer

Visit site
I'm riding at 1pm with two of my friends. I'll be on my grey tobiano ISH, one friend on a piebald cob, mostly white with a black head and her husband who'll be on a dark dapple grey Irish hunter type.

Sealine

Visit site
What time is everyone riding, just incase I bump into any of you. Im doing it on my own and starting at 9.40 :)

I'm off at 9:52 a bit after you. There are a group of 3 of us - I'm on my 16.1 chunky coloured. He'll probably think we're hunting so I'm expecting him to be a bit excited.

Haphazardhacker

Visit site
Hehe was nice to meet you Sealine. Hope you and everyone else had a good ride. Had a lovely ride, beautiful weather too. She was full of beans the whole way round. We didnt jump anything (i jumped one but she didn't!) . Im not very good at jumping and neither is she which doesn't boost my confidence much so its a vicious cycle but we had a go, just a bit annoyed I didnt get it on the headcam!!!

Sealine

Visit site
Good to meet you too haphazard hacker. Your horse looked very smart and well done for having a go at jumping.

We all had a great time. My horse was being a prat at the jump where the photographer was a jumped me right out of the saddle. I bet the photo will be hilarious (and embarrassing)! It was definitely one of those days that make the cold, muddy winter worthwhile.

Deltaflyer

Visit site
What stunning weather we had. This was my first outing with my new lorry and the first time I've done West Wycombe Ride for about 20 years!! On the whole the ground was fab but I guess because we rode in the afternoon it was quite poached in front of many of the jumps. Sam was like a kid let loose in a toyshop, he didn't know which way to look first so he kind of froze until we actually got going and he couldn't possibly manage anything other than sideways jiggy-joggy or bounces of excitement LOL. Good warm up for the Hunter Trials we're doing in a couple of weeks :) We were brave and did most of the bigger option jumps.

I hope all of you guys who did had as much fun as we did.

Last edited:

amycamycamyc

Visit site
What a beautiful day!
Thanks to all those who replied to my original question. My mum and grandma came and met us in the field with the water crossings. They saw me v nearly end up in the river as my horse attempted butterfly stroke through the deepest part.

On another note, does anyone know why the fire brigade were called to the car park? I saw they had roped off a horse box but couldn't see what was wrong. Really hope the horse and owner involved were ok...