Western Riding?

Xenia

New User
Visit site
Hey, New to the forum..

anyway, i recently got back from the USA after staying with my friend and her horses.. I got to ride western for the first time ever! really enjoyed it, i was wondering..

Have any of you tried it? What are you feelings about it?

Xenia

New User
Visit site
Yeah, i think i've decided i personally prefere riding Western than i do English, but then, maybe it's because it's something new.

In shows and such, i think English looks smart though.

teapot

Visit site
I've done it once and much preferred english (although I was still a complete novice at the time)

May well have another go and really appreciate the difference

bexj

Visit site
I've ridden in a Western Saddle regularly - this is very different to riding Western properly though! I feel very safe and secure in a Western Saddle and enjoy the way the seat aids seem to make much more of a difference. I have never properly ridden Western though it is something that I would very much like to do.

I have worked for a few weekends this summer on my friends Western tradestand at some Western shows. Firstly, everyone is so utterly friendly and happy to explain stuff to me. Secondly, the standard of the turnout at Western shows is absolutely incredible, very showy and very beautiful. I have also never seen a Western horse at a show throw a tantrum, get upset or generally even wobble a bit - such is the way of dealing with the horses.

You should find a local WES instructor and take it further if you enjoyed it!

Blizzard

Visit site
I love western riding, its great for teaching novice hubby to ride too as he has a secure seat and a horn to grab LOL,

Im actually selling the new western saddle I had imported from the states on ebay at the mo, need a new English, so sob, it has to go!

allijudd

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I've ridden in a Western Saddle regularly - this is very different to riding Western properly though! I feel very safe and secure in a Western Saddle and enjoy the way the seat aids seem to make much more of a difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

me too...rowan can be unpreditable and he is unbalnced..the saddle makes me feel more secure but he definatly responds better when in his english..leg aids are easier and he is better in his canter...just wish the buck going into canter gets smaller!...